Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 24-01-2004, 13:40   #101
Kingreno

On a more serious note, what do the Babs want for an alliance?
Old 25-01-2004, 08:17   #102
Skyfish

Is an alliance with Babs worth destroying our Rep in 6 turns when we make peace with Vikes ?
Old 09-02-2004, 17:46   #103
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Ahum, I' d like this game to continue. Chances are it will be over quickly anyway \

So Sky, you're up!
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 19:37   #104
anarres
anarchist butcher

Yeah, I'd like that too!
Old 16-02-2004, 13:18   #105
Skyfish

Sorry guys I really got no time to play this one
I really want to play thats why I tried for so long but if anar wants to take it over, he's welcome

Old 16-02-2004, 15:43   #106
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

well anarres, give it your worst I'd say
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 21:47   #107
anarres
anarchist butcher

OK, I am playing. I think we are doing fine btw...
Old 17-02-2004, 23:41   #108
anarres
anarchist butcher

Preturn: On inspection I don't think we can survive the Viking SoD without help...

191.72*KB

2 Beserks
2 Med Inf
18 Swordsmen
8 Archers
3 Pikes
7 Spears
9(?) Warriors

Looking at the Bab diplo they will sign an MA for 37 gpt. Since we hope they will break it I make an MA deal for 73 gpt, taking 516 gold from them.

AI (Babs): A Bab Knight kills a Viking Knight.
AI (Vikings): The SoD splits - 3 archers take Adab from the Babs and a few SoD units move in.
An SoD Sword and Spear combo head north to kill the Bab Knight.
Several more units move north from the SoD, presumably to fight Bab forces.
8 Swords move east towards Delft, but they are taking a strange route, and are still 2 turns away.
The Sword near Karistad kills our Swiss Merc there.
9 Warriors and 3 Spears stay back, just north of Risor.

01 (90AD): Karistad riots even though it is under Govenor control.

I rush walls in Delft, and part-rush barracks in Lauwersoog, which was producing a swiss merc.

Our Med Inf kills the injured sword at Karistad.
I move the 5 Swiss Mercs at Lauwersoog towards Delft.

To get the FP in 1 turn instead of 2 I have to run a -2 food deficit with only 2 food in the bank.

I do extensive mm, then I notice the ship I can move! I take it 1 N and see nothing just beyong the Viking Spear/Sword combo, and then 3 S and see what remains of the SoD (just NW from Risor).

54.88*KB

This has 2 Beserks, 4 Archers, 2 MI, 3 Pikes, 3 Spears, 10 Swords and 3 Warriors.

Oh yeah! Here is the 'other' problem:

54.58*KB

AI: Spain demands 82 gold, it is the least of our problems and a small price to pay.
AI: The Vikings land a Med Inf next to Amsterdam (PHEW!!), and move their SoD's in to action - all of a sudden the AI is able to use strategy like this???!!

102.86 KB

Stacks (from SW to NE):

Stack1: 1 Musket

Stack2: 2 Beserks, 5 Archers, 2 MI, 3 Pikes, 4 Spears, 10 Swords and 2 Warriors.

Stack3: 7 Warriors, 2 Spears

Stack4: 8 Swords, 3 Warriors

02 (110AD): Complete the FP.

'Stack4' is placed so that if I pull defense from Delft they can get there before me. I move all the Med Inf and Swiss Mercs back to Lauwersoog, leaving 4 Swiss Mercs in Delft.

AI: Spain and Greece sign MA against the Vikings.

03 (130AD):

78.6*KB

The sword stack has 8 Swords and 3 Warriors, the main stack next to Lauwersoog has 2 Beserks, 10 Swords, 2 Med Inf, 5 Archers, 3 Pikes, 6 Spears and 5 Warriors.

The main stack's 3 Pikes worry me, so I decide to send the Med Infs to take out the Sword stack: I lose 1 Med Inf and kill all 8 Swords.

I have 3 Med Inf to play with, so I decide to kill 4 warriors (for WW points and promotions). Next I use a Swiss Merc to take out a 2hp warrior on grass.

Here is then end turn, there are 8 Swiss Mercs in Lauwersoog.

AI: Zulu and Spain sign MA against the Babs. The Vikings attack from the SoD with both Beserks (1 win, 1 loss) and an MI that loses.

66.08*KB

04 (150AD):

53.34*KB

The stack next to Lauwersoog now has 1 Pike and 3 Spears defending. There are also a Sword, 5 Archers and 8 Warriors, but it seems kinda lame now. The smaller and more worrying stack is now in jungle 2 tilees from Delft and has 8 Swords and an MI on offense, and 2 Pikes and 3 Spears defending....

The Vikings will talk to us now, but they will only give 300 gold and we have a rep to keep. In hindsight I may have braved it without an MA if I knew they would talk so soon, but as it is we are fine carrying on the war, and we should aim to get at least Risor and Adab in a peace deal.

I have 12 MI at 3 or 4 hp that can reach the SoD, and I decide now not to lose an MI in the counter attack when it kills the Beserk. Our WW count is going up every turn, and soon we will hit level 1 and suffer unhappiness.

The MI attack and kill 1 Pike, 3 Spears, 1 Sword and 8 warriors for no loss! All that is left now is 5 Archers.

Now an MI kills a Sword, leaving just an archer on the tile. I am being extra careful not to lose units because of WW.

AI: The Beserk next to Lauwersoog attacks and dies. Some archers move further in to our territory.
Babs complete Cop's.

More turns to come, I just wanted to post this to let you know we are gonna survive.
Old 18-02-2004, 22:57   #109
anarres
anarchist butcher

05 (170AD): I spend 92 gold on an Embassy with the Chinese. Unfortunately we just hit level 1 WW and have 1 extra unhappy face per city. I put up lux one notch to 20% to compensate, it costs us 43 gpt and covers the WW pretty well.

Here is the current battleground:

108.58*KB

Thankfully the Sword stack is moving away, and we have mostly warriors and archers to play with now.

First I take the Pike out next to Maastricht with a single MI. Next I work on the Archers around Lauwersoog and (at last) we get a MGL! I decide to make an army, and after a miniscule pause I decide not to keep it for horse-based army but to make my first ever Med Inf army. The bonus move point will mean it can retreat, and the attack bonus can't hurt.

Checking out the diplo, I descover the Babs have no iron!! This is great news. We have enough units now to defend against the Vikings and let the war run out, and at the same time we can earn mega-bucks from the Babs for selling iron. First though I buy the Babs Territory Map for 82 gold to see why they don't have a supply.

Interesting - there is a supply just inside the Viking border, maybe they lost it in the wars, or maybe they never had it. Also they have only 1 source of horses, but that is relatively safe in their core. Check out how far away it is - the red circle is the horses, the green is the (Viking) iron. It looks like we won't be getting our own horses for a while:

265.43*KB

Wow! Noticing India will pay a *lot* for our WM I decide to do a round of map trading - we only make 68 gold but we now have a full map of the world.

Now I buy spices from Spain for 25 gpt and 3 gold. There is no chance of losing the harbour trade route so there should be no nasty suprises.

59.64*KB

Last turn India had horses to trade - but this turn they don't. India has 2 horse resources, and they are trading with the Vikings and the Zulu (from F4). Checking the map for them both I see Scandanavia has a horse and the Zulu don't.

I pay India 32gpt for an MA against the Zulu and 6 gold, and pray. Yay!!! A horse appears to trade, which I get for 23 gpt. Now I go to the Babs and give them Iron for Mono and 1218 gold. I could have got 1563 gold and 69 gpt in cash!!

We are set on course now to build horses for 20 turns, then to buy Chivalry and upgrade all our horses to Knights. We can then attack again and maybe get some more techs. Hopefully we can take the 2 nearby Viking cities in war and get Chivalry in a peace deal, but that may be asking too much.

Whatever we do, we really should expand IMO. More territory = more resources, and we really need them to trade. Our current bank balance is 3547 gold, and we are getting 159 gpt. We are also giving out 188 gpt in deals.

AI: The Vikings move back towards the border, but with only 8 Swords in offense they will be no problem.

06 (190AD): Nothing much, just healing troops and lots of MM. 2 cities are building horses at 1 per turn, with a couple more producing 1 every 2 turns.

AI: Meh, the Vikings back off - it would be better if they came and died in our lands.
Old 19-02-2004, 07:42   #110
digger760
King

how can you tell that the Babs could of offered 69gpt?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote