Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 16-10-2008, 12:48   #91
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
Ok, got that. I had no idea about total amount of lumber we need. Is it 300 for a 300 hammer unit?
Yup!

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 13:01   #92
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I am indeed opposed to that plan...
This plan (building a fishermantown on the island west of us) has more to it.

We haven't yet explored the island. We might very wel decide to fully colonize this island too! This way we have our core island with 4 colonies and the other one with 3 colonies (for instance). If we think the other island is only good for the possible fishermen colony, it will still be a top colonist growth spot.

Darkness, we have several options if we build this colony only on the other island.
-We can give up a colony to another European rival anytime. (I tested this)
-We can simply let it be taken by the king and fully ignore it, until the end of the WoI.
-We can heavily defend it with canons and minutemen (not my choice, I guess)
-We can deliberately make it a switching colony. Making he AI continuously divide his forces is an extra bonus on top of its standard stupidity.

ANYWAY: we need a galleon and we need to use the galleon to ship treasuries and goodies to Europe. We should pick up colonists and trade goods there. I would suggest to use the galleon for shipment between our island and Europe. And for trade with Monte's settlement on our island. Not for trade with settlement further away.

I would use the caravel to ship criminals, servants and free colonists to the (so far only known) Indian fishermen settlement northwest of our island. And of course from the settlement to our colonies. Giving priority to a dozen fishermen wouldn't harm us!

Old 16-10-2008, 13:32   #93
Darkness

I understand the advantages that we can gain from this city, but I'm not so sure about your options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
Darkness, we have several options if we build this colony only on the other island.
-We can give up a colony to another European rival anytime. (I tested this)
This is, IMHO, a major exploit, and I would prefer not to use this.

Quote:
-We can simply let it be taken by the king and fully ignore it, until the end of the WoI.
That will mean that we need to put a massive investment in our navy, otherwise we'll never get our units across to the other island, due to the strength of the man-o-wars in the REF.

Quote:
-We can heavily defend it with canons and minutemen (not my choice, I guess)
This is a viable, yet probably extremely expensive option.

Quote:
-We can deliberately make it a switching colony. Making he AI continuously divide his forces is an extra bonus on top of its standard stupidity.

What do you mean by "switching colony"?
Old 16-10-2008, 13:39   #94
Matrix
Administrator

Old 16-10-2008, 14:27   #95
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
That will mean that we need to put a massive investment in our navy, otherwise we'll never get our units across to the other island, due to the strength of the man-o-wars in the REF.
A more than decent investment in our navy, is the best way to independence anyway. Killing all MoWs might sound like a costly job, but it really pays off.

Quote:
What do you mean by "switching colony"?
Giving it up and retaking it various times.

If the island is any good, apart from the northern fishy spot, I prefer ot fully colonize it anyway.

Old 16-10-2008, 14:28   #96
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Yeah!
KC, will you pick up the save?

Old 17-10-2008, 03:53   #97
killercane
Prince

Cool

Yeah bout to play. I was just waiting for you all to quit talking .
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 22:22   #98
killercane
Prince

Ok I looked about last night. Question 1: What about this Jesuit Missionary on the docks? Wouldnt he be valuable for something like converting natives?

Q2: How do I rushbuy something? Like a galleon? How do I even build a galleon?
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 00:21   #99
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercane View Post
... Q2: How do I rushbuy something? Like a galleon? How do I even build a galleon?
This game is amazing indeed. I've actually read the manual before playing and there is not a single word there on what you need to build something. And the civilopedia entries do not list all "ingredients" and do not provide even slightest clues on how to get them. Moreover, the popups of the build are screwed as well and do not list the ingredients or do not show up at all sometimes.

It seems the common sense prevails however, and to actually build a galleon, one needs lumber, tools, and hammers to put the lumber/tools to use. Many thanks to Stapel for deciphering that. Yet, the domination of the common sense is only partial since galleon would also need sails (cloth?), crew (sailors??), food to be able to feed the crew (??), and probably also cannons and guns to make it a fighting vessel (???).

The budget is even worse mystery to me.

To the point, there is a rush button on the build section of the screen. It tells you how much gold it would cost to rush. To build galleon, one needs a drydock.
Old 18-10-2008, 10:27   #100
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercane View Post
Ok I looked about last night. Question 1: What about this Jesuit Missionary on the docks? Wouldnt he be valuable for something like converting natives?
Absolutely. And he will also keep the natives happier and they won't grow alarmed by your presence as fast as they would without the missionary founding a mission in an Indian village... Perhaps we should use the missionary on the fisherman teaching village (even though that's not the closest village) ?