Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 07-04-2004, 12:31   #21
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

I now enjoy speaking English through the Internet, so I don't need a US version.
You also do no need a French version, I guess.

Translating software always gives problems. I have been the victim of it too many times. Vanilla & PTW even had differences between the UK and US versions, due to different CD-protection stuff. Very annoying.

I want an original, or nothing at all.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 13:17   #22
Socrates
Emperor

What about ending the American golden age now, and starting a European one instead ? That way, we could have an "original" version very easily. Well then, what do you think of French as the standard European language ?!

Maybe you're right about getting a US version or nothing. Maybe I'll wait for this reason too : "is Civ4 worth having in French or not ?" Obviously, human translators aren't THAT superior to Google translator or such stupid stuff.
Old 07-04-2004, 14:21   #23
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

What about ending the American golden age now, and starting a European one instead ? That way, we could have an "original" version very easily. Well then, what do you think of French as the standard European language ?!

Maybe you're right about getting a US version or nothing. Maybe I'll wait for this reason too : "is Civ4 worth having in French or not ?" Obviously, human translators aren't THAT superior to Google translator or such stupid stuff.
Well, I am not bothered at all by an American Golden Age . So far it has brought us civ, so why complain?

I have no experience with civ in other languages (apart from civ2 in French of course), but I have actually spent money on a Dutch version of Jagged Alliance 2..... It still gives me a headache. While all audio by the mercenaries was in English, there was also the possibility to use text balloons. These were in Dutch..... It is absolutely beyond my imagination that anyone likes that, yet some publishers decided to put effort in those ridiculous translations.

Luckily, one of my collegues went to SF when JA2 Unfinished Business came out.

One of the American CFC members sent me C3C, last november.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 14:23   #24
Grille

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Yes we should (=upgrade)! I am going to ask my opponents to upgrade, but I will run a duel install until they have all done it.
can you confirm yet that old saves are working fine, at least on first sight?
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 14:59   #25
digger760
King

i presume to do a dual install is done the same way as PTW 1.14->PTW 1.21 was done that is the last time i did it.

does anybody know where the instructions are full getting dual boot working?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 15:46   #26
Shabbaman
Administrator

Why...

Does the patch program says it's updating to version 1.21? That makes no sense...
Old 08-04-2004, 16:51   #27
digger760
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Why...

Does the patch program says it's updating to version 1.21? That makes no sense...
Were you replying to me?

Just to clarify...I need to have a C3C 1.15 to 1.22 dual boot...
and i wanted to know if that is done the same way dual boot was done with PTW.

digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 17:58   #28
Grille

Can't speak for PTW, but I could switch between all versions of C3C (up to v1.15, that is!) by backing up all files (not all folders) in the Conquests root directory, e.g. path /blabla/games/Civ3/Conquests/*files_in_here* (contains the exe and stuff) and the folder "Text" in that same directory.
Back up these files and that folder before patching and after patching. Before starting C3C.exe, put the version-relevant files (and "Text" folder) back into your C3C root directory. IIRC that worked at least up to v1.15 (btw, I even started the different versions before the back-up process and set the prefs, just to get fine .ini file(s) which is in that root directory).
Ok ok... it's probably not the most convenient method, but it spares some space at least...

As for my question, a friend of mine got an error message loading an older version's pbem save into C3C... (not sure *how* old the file was, though), so I'm a bit unsure now. I'm still using v1.15, because I'm doomed to use a very slow internet connection atm...
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 22:01   #29
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Yes we should! I am going to ask my opponents to upgrade, but I will run a duel install until they have all done it.
I can't load any old savegame now! [] Since I upgraded (and no, I did not back up ) I can only load savegames from scenarios (with their own biq data).

So why should you ask your opponents to upgrade if you can only continue the PBEM's with v1.15?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:46   #30
anarres
anarchist butcher

You saying PBEMs don't save the biq data? Are you just looking at random PBEM maps or custom ones? IIRC custom maps should save the BIQ data.