Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ProPain's Forum
Home

Old 03-08-2008, 20:53   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default PP vs RIK - Civ4. *** PP's spoiler ***

And once again the PBEM virus rears its ugly head. Starting a CIV4 pbem against Rik. The CDZ meeting got me excited about Civ again but as I've rarely played Civ4 I'm expecting a severe beating

turn 1 - the start
See the turn 2 pic for the start tiles.
Well there we go. Now what race are we? Apparentle we're the ProPains and the Riks.... they're not in the civilopedia. After checking traits and mousing all leaders in the pedia it appears Rik is Chinese. Thinking to be smart I look at my start techs so I only have to look for civs in the pedia. It seems I;m the Japanese but.....heck....leader traits dont match??? So I look up my leader traits and it seems I'm Chinese as well . So we're both Chinese but my starter techs dont match: I have fishing and the wheel. Weird, weird, wondering what that means for the techs that Rik got. Well lets just settle a city then.

First tiles look ok, I move the warrior up the hill to see how the south looks. Nothing to gain so I settle on the spot. Ah, it's gonna be called Beijing. At least that means we're Chinese and we get the weird Crossbowman as our unique unit.

Now what to build?
The clam tiles look the best in this setup and I have fishing so workboats seem the way to go. But do I go all out on hammers or go all out on food on the flood plains 1st? After some quick calculations it seems better to go all hammers, sacrifice food and 1 commerce and get that workboat out asap.

What to research?
Hard, on the one hand mining seems important to get those hills mined. Also that's a preq for bronze working which is needed for forest chopping. Otoh there's the mysticism line that leads to buddism and polytheism religions (setting has free religions). We're only two players so even if Rik has myst as a starting tech I should be able to pick up one religion hopefully. Also I;m starting to think we might have started with the same techs because they're modified from the civ started techs which would mean Rik needs myst 1st as well.

I decide to go the myst route and try and snag a religion for extra happiness. On top of that mining will take about 6 turns to research and considering I want the workboat and a population pop before building a worker I wont need it before turn 13 anyway. Maybe even later if I decide to go workboat or warrior after that.

turn 2 - what's the competition doing?
Turn is in and I move my warrior to another hill. How nice! A hut is in sight.

182.38*KB

Between turns it occured to me that we both have the same 21 start tiles and that with only 2 players the demographics will tell me exactly which ones Rik is using. Seems he started out on the flood plain. I wonder what he;s building then. I suppose warrior/worker/workboat but I'll know in a few turns cause the changes in the F9 should give me tell tale signs. Also I;m thinking that should he not be building a workboat he probably didnt start with fishing and maybe starting techs are randomised. We'll see. For some strange reason Rik's people are more healthy, he must have a biofood operation going on

149.32*KB

turn 3
Move warrior, check f9. Nothing special.

turn 4- hut ahoy!
We pop a hut, get maps and see another hut. I just hope that other one contains a warrior. Just noticed we have nasty barb settings so it seems I need to build some proection for Beijing ni the near future

191.32*KB

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 22:01   #2
ProPain

turn 6
Riks decides to shuffle his tiles and picks a 1food+2hammer tile over his previous flood plain. I wonder why he does this.

70.47KB

turn 7
Things get even more strange. Now he's using what must be 2 food/0 hammers/0 commerce tile. I dont get this for 2 reasons:

1) why use that tile if you also have a flood plain which gives +3food/+1 commerce?
2) I dont have a regular green tile in my 21 tiles, So apparently our tiles arent equal and my river runs different.

Only explanation I have is that Rik has barb trouble or misclicked. I wonder if barb trouble is even possible this early in the game....

62.9KB
Old 03-08-2008, 22:33   #3
BCLG100
Deity

you can't get barb trouble this early without some form of mod

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 22:42   #4
ProPain

turn 8
His commerce is now 20 instead of 18. I suspect the border popping (which gave my science a 2 point boost....) interfered with the f9. This means RIk changed over to a coastal tile which gives 2 food/2 coins, which makes much more sense.

So this tells me he's prioritising science. Wonder what path he's following, somehow I fear he's making a beeline for bronze working so he can send a SOD of axemen my way....

Well know pretty quickly: if he snags up a religion in a few turn I'llknow more.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01   #5
Matrix
Administrator

Wow, that's a pretty extensive spoiler here, ProPain!

If you're worried for a SoD of axemen: watch the number of soldier and build a bunch of chariots.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:28   #6
ProPain

thanks Matrix! I'll try to keep it up this way. With only 1 game going and the relatively quiet holiday time that should be possible

We played some more turns yesterday but they went by very quickly so I couldn't write up the spoiler that quick. I can say thay I'm not worried about a stack of axemen in the short run as Rik has chosen a different tech path and is emphasising commmerce & food tiles and has been producing about 1 hammer a turn only if I read the F9 right

I;ve planned to upate the spoiler today.
Old 04-08-2008, 21:20   #7
ProPain

turn 9
Rik gets a pop increase and his military also goes up. He cant have build anything on 9 hammers so this could mean a warrior/scout from a hut. He's working 2 coastal tiles now

47.55KB

I pop my hut and !!!!

43.97KB

turn 10
Rik switches to 2 flood plains. He does love to micromanage

turn 11
My work boat is done and starts to work on the clams. Now the important decision what to build next. From a builder p.o.v. it would be best to start on the 2nd work boat but that would leave me an easy target for barbs and Rik's troops. Especially if he popped a unit from a hut there's a good chance he'll find me soon on this little map. Also barbs are set on relentless or something: that doesnt sound very friendly as well. So I decide to build a warrior first. It will take me 7 turns to finish so that's the delay I'll get on the 2nd work boat for going down the safe route.

turn 13
Rik's score jumps. Maybe he's got a tech?

turn 14
Islam is founded. Shouldnt that have happened a turn ago... Maybe I just didnt notice before. Wonder if he went poly or medi. He focused on science quite a bit so maybe poly was possible in this time frame as well. Another jump in military for Rik to 8K. My Excel sheet tells me he has 15 hammers now so that's a warrior built for Rik

turn 15
Meditation done, no religion for me. So Rik went down the meditation route as well and I gambled and lost. After some thinking I decide to have a shot at poly anyway. Prolly Rik will start on a tech that will help build farms/pastures/mines instead of getting a 2nd religion. Otoh he could just do it to deny me one. As I dont need mining anytime soon because I wont be building a worker quickly Poly seems worth another gamble

turn 18
Finish warrior, start work boat. Another hut in sight.

72.2KB

turn 20
I pop my hut and get money

turn 21
In one the mails Rik claims his scout was killed by a barb and that his build hasnt finished so he's now just pressing the enter button. Seems weird to me cause his military is on par with mine which means he should have 2 warriors. I'm still a bit confused how his socre went from 5K-6K and is now 8K which is equal to my 2warriors but my score wnet 5k-8K when the warrior was built iirc. Maybe he popped a scout at the 5k-6k which got killed and then the warrior got him to 8K? Have to ask him when the game is over. Still I dont think he isnt scouting cause 2 warriors in your cap seems a bit too much atm.

We both get score jumps for the next culture level.
Old 04-08-2008, 21:57   #8
ProPain

turn 22
Good news, I;m the 1st to poly!! I found confucianism. Next tech will be animal husbandry, my next best tile after the clams is the sheep one but it needs a pasture. After that I'll go mining. How the commerce translates to the F9 GNP remains a mystery to me, I jumped in commerce but why? After some investigating I see my palace gets me commerce as well. First time I notice this so now I need to figure out how this works.....

Old 04-08-2008, 23:26   #9
ProPain

turn 25
Rik's land area is expanded and he didnt have a city pop increase which is overdue. First I thought he build a settler but that seemed impossible counting the surplus food/hammers after the last pop increase in my little excel sheet. Then it dawned on me that he got the first religion which means extra culture so his borders must have popped! Still it appears Rik is either building a worker or a settler as he's still at 3 pop.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:30   #10
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Great spoiler

one hint (which will also go in Rik's spoiler): you can see whether a tech giving a religion has been researched by clicking the tech bar at the top of the screen. This turns it into a selection bar, offering all techs you can research. If the tech has been researched by someone else, the icon looks normal, if it is still unknown and its religion unfounded it has a little icon added. usually, this displays the religion, so it is the religion's icon, but if 'select religion' is on (as it is here) you will see the generic religion icon, two clasped hands or something. You can also mouse over the tech in the tech tree, and the text that appears will either say 'First to discover founds a religion' or not.

As for the map: I wanted to give you guys something to think with the civs, and keep the game within a reasonable balance. Therefore, I tweaked both civs a bit