Default Spoiler: WOA vs Killercane

Killercane and I started a civ3 PBEM.
Rik Meleet made us a map with the following conditions:
Wacken Iroquois
Killercane Sumerians
no AI
Emperor
continents reachable by navigation.

There has been some miscommunication and i ended up with the iroqs while i cannot reach my enemy. So the civ is not optimal (Sumerians are definately optimal for this setting) but who cares, i will overcome that little disadvantage right ?
And sorry, i guess this is gonna be a simcity report for the first 200 turns.

My next mistake came in the first turn. We started on a gold hill, with some food boni nearby. Not realising the importance of commerce this game (i'm used to it being worthless when playing against AI and forgot to actually think) i moved from the hill rather than settling on top of it.

53.78KB

KC did settle on the hill, but he does not have alphabet as a starting tech. It does give him 2 extra gold per turn, and he has to pay about 87 beakers for alphabet. So initially, i think i can overcome this problem and beat him to Philosophy. I set research to Writing and start irrigating all those good things.

As some may know, i live and die by the food per turn principle. Since both new cities and a granary provide me 5 more fpt but a settler is faster build, i start building 2 settlers right away.
And so about 16 turns later, my empire looked like this:

77.68KB

Since i see a lot of river around my capital, new cities will produce 3fpt. Now the choise between a quick settler for 3fpt or the somewhat expensive granary is starting to get closer, but i still choose for the settlers rather than the granary. So i build another batch of settlers.

Meanwhile, F11 and msn information tell me that KC has only build 3 towns, connected luxuries and is probably building granaries. our gnp's are alternating, but with his connected luxuries he probably isn't needing a lot of the entertainment slider. We end up researching Writing in the same turn, so i gave up hope on winning for philosophy and start researching some cheap 4 turn techs. Better to keep researching the cheap things now so that i don't have to waste expensive time on those when my research is stronger. And KC will make thing cheaper for me to research.
So by turn 33, my i have build a bunch of cities at the rivers and also added one non river city close to a luxury.

198.67KB

I now decided it was time for granaries. I decided to build 3 granaries, but no granary in my capital. After agreeing with HC that palace flipping is alowed, i am planning ahead to build my FP in Allegheny and flip my palace elsewhere as i hate building my FP in a corrupt town. KC told me he had only just made his 4th town but had his granaries being finished around this time when i am just starting mine. But i have many more towns now so it isn't too bad. Research is going Ceremonial(4), Bronze working(4), warrior code(4) and i got mysticysm from a hut. My interpretations of F11 tell me that i have over 15 more total food per turn by the time he has finished his granaries.

KC chose literature for free technology. I keep myself busy with cheap 4 turn techs while he researches code of laws and maks it cheap for me. So research was continued: Philosophy(4), The Wheel(4), Masonry.

It is now turn 45, and this is how far we played, so the rest of the report is gonna be at PBEM speed.

203.56KB
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 14:20   #2
Tubby Rower

I only see one warrior!! is that correct or am I missing something?

10 cities
2 settlers
13 workers
and only 1 warrior?

just. wow.
Old 25-08-2006, 14:58   #3
Rik Meleet

He is gambling that the (unknown) barb-level is low. Could be a brilliant assessment or a step into the grave.
Time will tell ?????
Old 25-08-2006, 16:58   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

barbs are not really a problem in civ3, they only take money or shields and, as he is expanding further and further, they have less chance of spawning. since he knows 'cane can't reach him, it seems to be a sound strat.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 17:03   #5
Tubby Rower

they will also kill pop correct? But as he's agri, that effect wouldn't be too bad.
Old 25-08-2006, 18:22   #6
WackenOpenAir

Never worry about barbs in civ3 really.
Indeed they can take pop or destroy your current build (wich sucks if a settler is almost finished) but those are rather rare, usually they just take some gold. I have watched whole stacks (20+) of raging barbs enter my cities only to take gold.
If it kills a citizen, it does matter to me though, i truly hate it when they do. You know how important food is. However, fighting them costs more due to other things being delayed than losing a citizen.
Old 27-08-2006, 21:10   #7
WackenOpenAir

Turn 52:

163.39KB

KC's increase in commerce tells me that he has build 2 libraries. I have seen 2 of his cities growing size 7, temporarilly and then shrink below size 6 again. So he has chosen to delay growth in favor of early libraries. And it shows in the F8 and F11 screens. I am number 1 on everything except military service. Literacy and Annual income. I have 21% area vs KC 12% and i have 57% population vs KC 42%.

Growth is going rapidly. With citizen count, my commerce production is growing fast as well. I am researching COL in 4 turns now and i still have math, lit and horse to research in 4 turns, after that, MM and Poly may also to be possible in 4 if i keep growing well. So there really is no hurry to increase science and i don't understand why KC is building libraries. As long as i am researching in 4 turns, i am not in a real hurry to get Republic either. KC should be making it cheap for me as we speak.

Meanwhile, i keep satisfying my food addiction. I really just think of gathering as much food per turn and thus eventually citizens as possible. The confrontation is gonna be only like 100 turns from now.
At this moment what matters is just to make sure i have the strongest civ by that time. First of all, that means the most citizens. Therefore, i chose to build the pyramids. I think it should be a good step towards victory. Meanwhile, i am just still building settlers and workers everywhere in order to keep increasing my food per turn.
Old 29-08-2006, 06:10   #8
WackenOpenAir

Turn 58:

(18 towns, 16 workers, 2 warriors)

My empire keeps growing well, my people are like rabbits.
In production are 6 more settlers and 8 more workers.

Time for a little planning ahead.
I think i have for 18 turns to go with 4 turn researches (HBR, Math, poly, MM, finish Lit(2).
By that time i also expect my pyramids to be done.

A have a prebuild going on a coastal city for the Great Lighthouse. It will activate my golden age and it may give me the advantage in naval warfare tactics. I keep options open to swich to collosus if i want my golden age earlier. I may start the collosus in another city though. After i have enough settlers and a satisfying number of workers, i don't have much to build but libraries and wonders anyway.

I am building the FP in mauch chunk. I will have to add some workers there to speed up this build and have it take not too much longer than 20 turns.

Around that time, i also want to be finishing my first Libraries. But those won't be in my first 4 core cities as they are responsible for the pyramids, the forbidden palace and settlers/workers. I have started Libraries in my cities rank 6-10, those will take like 20 turns to build.

So for short:
-4 turn research for the comming 18 turns.
-FP, Pyramids and Libraries for a strong boost and hopefully keep research at 4 turns a little more.
-Convert to republic for another boost.
-Activate golden age by Lighthouse for start middle age research.

I am also thinking wich of the many middle age wonders i want.
-The science wonders would be good if i think the game is not gonna finish shortly after we can reach eachother.
-Leo's would be good to stop research after navigation and MT to poor both shields and commerce into KC's destruction.
-Sun Tzu is an option to save myself about 25 gpt upkeep for all the barracks i will build.
-Knights Templar not only provides me extra units (probably a a dozen or so by the time of meeting), it also prevents him from having those same units. However, it requires an optional tech.

So there is plenty to decide on in the near future.

And there is one downside to this pretty report: KC has had 4 techs from goody huts now.

[Post Edited, seems i had forgotten how the corruption formulas work, so plans regarding FP have changed a bit]
Old 31-08-2006, 15:55   #9
WackenOpenAir

Turn 80:
I have just become a republic this turn.
Before the revolution, i finished the pyramids.

St. Regis is still buidling the collosus for a golden age. this is expected in about 16 turns from now. Mauch Chunk is building the FP.

Niagara falls just completed its library before the revolution and now started working on another wonder. There are several early middle age wonders of interest: Leos, Bachs, sun tzu. So i may start another prebuild for a second wonder, the golden age will make it all possible.

The other low corrupt cities are just producing Libraries + Aquaduct + harbor. The high corrupt cities produce settlers and workers for a little piece of ICS land. Unfortunately, i am already paying upkeep for my workers.

QCS stats
22 towns
92 citizens
31 workors
3 spearmen
1 mounted warrior
All AA tech except Contruction and Map making in 1 turn.

Looking at my current science output, It should be an easy 4 turn research troughout the middle ages.
Old 31-08-2006, 16:37   #10
BCLG100
Deity

gotta say that this is one of the speediest games ive seen in a long while, how many turns are you getting through a day???

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote