Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Sir Eric's Battleground
Home

Old 15-10-2007, 10:14   #11
digger760
King

Great Photo's a write up. Did some camping myself in Zimbabwe once, I'll never forget the sound of the lions roar during the night (Glad we slept on an island of the Zambeze river), or the sound of the hippo's talking to each other.

Did you do the white water rafting at Victoria falls?
Old 15-10-2007, 10:16   #12
Sir Eric
Warlord

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Cool. As you might know I've been in South Africa myself last February, but I've only seen wild animals in the Addo Elephant park, which was no more than an ennobled zoo. As a [u]human</u> geographer I'm more interested in people than in animals anyway. A few friends of mine stays two weeks longer and they also went to the Kruger NP.
Nice read.

One thing that we didn't like about our trip was that we spent the vast majority of time on the tour bus. Which was good. It offered us protection in a foreign land, however, it also gave us a very 'unreal' sense of what the African people are like.

We did get to spend some time with the locals from time to time, which was good to get some insight on how they live, but I think we may do it a little differently when we go back in '09
Old 16-10-2007, 01:24   #13
Furiey
King

The 2004 trip I was on my own and went with a tour group, at least we only used the bus for major journeys, through Kruger, Zambia & Botswana it was smaller vehicles.

The 1987/88 trip was an overland trip by truck travelling down from London to Zimbabwe. It took 5 months and we camped out for all but a few special occasions. This was really good for meeting the local people, and much better being able to do so in the middle of nowhere where they didn't get tourists. In the towns, like everywhere else in the world everybody was out for whatever they could get. Even 20 years later the memories are so strong. In comparison the 2004 trip was just skimming the surface.

I did the white water rafting at Vic Falls in 88. Absolutely fantastic. 2 of the 4 boats overturned throwing everyone into the river, mine was completely submerged but surfaced upright much to my amazement as I remember being underwater hanging on for grim death trying to work out which way was up.

I fell in love with Africa back then, there are so many places in the world I want to visit, but I keep getting drawn back to Africa.
Old 22-10-2007, 08:27   #14
Sir Eric
Warlord

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Great Photo's a write up. Did some camping myself in Zimbabwe once, I'll never forget the sound of the lions roar during the night (Glad we slept on an island of the Zambeze river), or the sound of the hippo's talking to each other.

Did you do the white water rafting at Victoria falls?
The night sounds are great. Lots different to hearing possums at each other on the telephone line

We didn't have too much time at Vic Falls. I wanted to do the rafting, but after the Elephant ride we ran out of time.

Some rough chicks from WA went on the rafting. They said it was great.Pretty rough, but a lot of fun.They had a brazilian couple who talked themselves up as seasoned rafters, in the front of the raft, who ended up crapping their dacks on the harder bits.

I can't talk though. I crapped my dacks on the Cessna during the fly-over of the Delta. I HATE flying and the wife talked me into going. The little thing bounced all over the place. But I'm glad I did it. The view was awesome.
Old 22-10-2007, 08:28   #15
Sir Eric
Warlord

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Furiey

The 1987/88 trip was an overland trip by truck travelling down from London to Zimbabwe. It took 5 months and we camped out for all but a few special occasions. This was really good for meeting the local people, and much better being able to do so in the middle of nowhere where they didn't get tourists. In the towns, like everywhere else in the world everybody was out for whatever they could get. Even 20 years later the memories are so strong. In comparison the 2004 trip was just skimming the surface.
That would have be one awesome trip.

What route did you take?
Old 31-10-2007, 21:04   #16
Furiey
King

Countries in order:

France
Spain
Morocco
Algeria
Niger
Nigeria
Cameroun
Central African Republic
Zaire (as it was then)
Rwanda
Burundi
Kenya
Zanzibar
Tanzania
Malawi
Zambia
Zimbabwe

All the routes to Botwana were flooded and the bridges were out so we didn't get there and getting to South Africa at the time was very difficult so we didn't get there then either.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:27   #17
socralynnek

Two and a half months...then we'll go to South Africa (3 1/2 weeks)...we'll be doing a trip by rented car and stay in small B&B guesthouses. I hope we get to know the South African people over there. But I know it is not representative as probably most of those house owners are either rich & white or even foreigners. But maybe better than hotels.
Old 21-11-2007, 21:58   #18
Matrix
Administrator

You could've seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM
Old 22-11-2007, 12:55   #19
Sir Eric
Warlord

That's a great little video.
Old 26-11-2007, 18:51   #20
digger760
King

Amazing..and it looks like the little fella survived.