Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Plux' forum
Home

Old 19-08-2003, 23:15   #1
Plux
King

Default Plux vs Puwen ***SPOILER***

Here's the start and the first lines of my log:

17.57KB

1- found on the spot. Set research at min to mathematics. First road then mine the bonus grassland rivertile.
9- Meet China, exchange Alphabet for WC and 10gp
12- pop a hut with barbs, and the worker next to one of them can't move anymore and is killed [angry] Great start..

Nice beginning for 1-1's
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2003, 23:30   #2
anarres
anarchist butcher

ouch!
Old 20-08-2003, 00:36   #3
Plux
King

Managed to get almost 30 turns.. here's a nice big map of my surroundings and the rest of my log:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/up...Untitled-2.jpg
127.92*KB

15- Barb kills a Chinese warrior. Good barb
21- Carthage, after recruiting 4 warriors, now builds a settler.
24- See Ottoman and French borders in the north and get Bronze Working from a hut. Too bad, because the Chinese also had, wanted to get it from them later. Found Utica 3-tiles east
25 Contact Ottomans, they have CB and I can trade Alphabet with them. Will wait though until I have contact with Joan. It looks like the two are already having troubles, because an Ottoman archer dived into French territory
26 .. and it comes out with one 1 hp left, so they are definately at war .
27 Joan has CB and a worker (thanks to the Ottoman's warring). I trade Alhabet for CB and 10 gp with the Ottoman's and give Joan WC and 90 gold for the worker (expensive, but I need it badly).
28 Joan suddenly has Pottery and The Wheel! Must have gotten contact with someone, maybe Puwen who is somewhere left to her. Maybe I should declare war, and settle for peace again for these techs. Think, think..

I think I'm still in the race . Good lands for expansion and China is nicely hemmed in. Hope I can keep them there, but on emperor this shouldn't be a problem. Those wheats are mine!!!
Old 20-08-2003, 00:43   #4
anarres
anarchist butcher

If you declare war on France they may just build a few troops that they can put on to use Puwen once you make peace, I would definitley do that.

btw, did you notice Utica is a 4 turn settler factory with the cattle and just 1 of the game?
Old 20-08-2003, 11:31   #5
Skyfish

I would have founded Utica on the hill just North of it now
Old 20-08-2003, 11:53   #6
Plux
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

[...] btw, did you notice Utica is a 4 turn settler factory with the cattle and just 1 of the game?
Nooo, really

@Skyfish, that would be a nice spot as well, but I wanted it to be near fresh water.
Old 20-08-2003, 13:24   #7
Aggie
Emperor

About Utica: It's not only good because of the fresh water, but also because you have 2 games and a cattle once you have border expansion!
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2003, 04:35   #8
Plux
King

We had a good and long session today. Pretty exciting too, with a narrow escape against Chinese and an opportunity against Puwen. Here goes:

29 Damn Chinese build Shanghai near MY wheats! They will pay dearly for that.. declared war on french, it can only be advantageous (is that a word?)

30 Trade pottery with the Ottomans for mere 35 gp, and switch Carthage to a granary just before it finishes its num merc.

31 Contact with Puwen! He can trade me the Wheel for Alphabet. But I rather want to wait, extort from the French, or prolly get it when math is finished (10 turns). Decide to switch Utica to granary as well, before it builds its worker. I've got one now, which will manage to (almost) keep up with the city growth on its own.

32 Puwen got alphabet by some other means

33 I run into a hut, but a chinese archer is looking confusedly at it as well. Will dastard Mao leave it for me?

7.44KB

34 No he doesn't, but it had barbs in it, so it's ok.

35 hmm, mao suddenly has IW. He will trade it for pot, cb, 4 gpt and 28 gp. It's expensive, but I can trade it further with at least the ottomans, for myst, and thus get my money back from Mao. Moreover, I want to know the Iron locations asap, so I do it. I get Mysticism and 5gp from Osman for IW. Then I trade back Myst to Chinese for 20 gp and 1 gpt. What have they done with my money , these prices are lowwww. Puwen is not interested in IW nor myst Hopefully Osman and Joan are still arguing, else he could extort from her. It turns out I got 2 irons very closeby in the (north)east, and what I can see from Chinese territory they haven't got any . Eastern lands look very appealing now, with lots of iron, gems, grassland and some dyes.

36 Darn, Ottomans are sending their settlers south [grrr]. mm Carthage do put a shield extra in Utica

37 Make peace with France again for the wheel. Capital finishes granary now starts settler. Chinese do have a lot of horses, so I shouldn't wait too long with my first strike.
hmmm, warrior exploring the west (Puwen territory) meets one of his settlers, all by itself. The hunt is on! .

39 Of course I couldn't get Puwen settler. Finish math, on to construction again at min research. I'm tech leader at this moment! China, in spite of being polite, wants 21 gp suddenly. Well, I'm not really ready for war, but I tell him to kiss my ***. In two turns the settler for my iron city will be ready, and I have few warriors to upgrade (no barracks yet tho)

40 Settler from Carthage goes to iron spot. Carthage starts barracks

42 Found Leptis Magna right on some dyes adjacent to the iron, but also to a barb tribe it seems. Better be careful.. Start barracks in LM, switch Carthage to a worker (has a granary) After the turn Mao appears with 3 warriors and an archer. Have I made a mistake with not paying the 21gp?? [oops]

43 Great, Puwen shows a warrior on the other side, while Carthage and LM are undefended. He shouldn't be able to see that they are, though, so I hope he doesn't cross the border. Nasty sitution I have created for myself Have a look:

38.16*KB

44 Phewwww.. Utica lost one warrior to a vet Chinese, but the archer and the other warrior were defeated, together with a wandering Chinese warrior in the north, attacking one of mine across a river. Nice RNG . Puwen promised to step down, claiming a wrong key press. We'll see..

45 Puwen retreated. Built a couple of extra warriors this turn just in case. At least I have enough for mass upgrade now .
50 Puwen seems to have trouble keeping his people at ease . He claims there are two warriors there. I think I'll believe him. A send my warrior west to threaten his workers. He has gems connected, so that means he did some good bluffing, because lux and two warriors should be enough to keep Thebes out of riot. Missed opportunity

19.87*KB
He did buy IW and Myst finally. Its also about time I got rid of math, because I suppose I won't have the monopoly much longer, but nobody has anything to trade It's lonely at the top of tech tree

52 Last turn the ottomans established an embassy at my place, how nice. Finally I can get something for Math. Otoh, the Chinese have gotten writing too, and are willing to give to me with some additional gold for a peace treaty, that will surely last no more than 20 turns . Joan gives me contact with Persia for Myst. Xerxes is at war with Osman, and he managed to destroy Osman's second city, Ergili. Nice HMM, Strange tho, math isn't worth much anymore, but nodoby but me has it? Give writing to Xerxes to for 95gp. He also has HR, but as I don't have horses yet I'm not interested.

53 Joan is willing to pay 90gp and 3 gpt for math. That's more like it. Keep it a little longer, however, the longer nobody has it, the more chance I have on a monopoly for Construction as well (28 turns to go)

56 2 settlers go settling up north to set my territory. Chinese start Pyramids, go Mao!

58 Persia has discovered math , I knew I was stretching it. Now get 95gp for Osman, and 36gp with 2gpt from Joan. Meager. have 422gp now, adding 7 each turn. Rushed barracks in LM.

59 Found theveste near cattle. Upgrade a few warriors already to go barb hunting and return more experienced hopefully

65 Osman is dying for a rop with me. I get a worker with it if I pay
75 gp . Built a few as well as I really need to catch up on development or Puwen is getting to far ahead.

69 Mapmaking has gone round between my AI opponents. I trade territory map with Joan, with whom I've also established an embassy. Am cranking out Num Mercs in preparation for another Chinese war (3 turns), which should provide me with Mapmaking and some territory. Have to gather my swordsmen though.

All in all I need to keep up with development. It's quite easy to sit back and relax as Joan and Osman are not really expanding, but of course the real opponent here is Puwen. Hopefully the next Chinese war will be better than the first one.
Old 24-08-2003, 01:05   #9
Plux
King

74 I recently got the Persian territory map, so I finally know where they are located, hemmed in above Puwen, as I expected. Create an embassy too,
but it appears they already at war with Puwen, so I don't need to bother with an alliance. China tries extort again (peace treaty just expired), but
backs down when I say no. He thinks he's pretty funny, but he won't laugh for long as my swordsmen are lining up for an attack.

19.87*KB

80 Finished construction. Declared war on China, they were trespassing. Unfortunately, they immediately got the French and Ottomans in on it against
me. Lets see how this ends..

85 Take Shanghai losing 3 swordsmen. China has iron, I didn't notice that . Settle for peace again getting Literacy and terr map,
because I want to turn my attention towards my sudden enemies in the north (Joan and Osman)

86 Persia asks me to join in against Puwen. I agree and get MM, CoL, HB and a WM for it. Nice!

87 Hmm, Puwen set China up against me again, but I only noticed after playing the turn

90 signed peace with Joan and Osman (who never bothered me) and put them up to war with Puwen. 15gpt deal with joan, construction to Osman. Now I can focus totally on Mao, who must nearly have finished the Pyramids. He signs an alliance with Xerxes against me, so its a total world war

91 Chinese finish Pyramids, just in time . Hope I can get them quick enough

97 put a small SoD of swords next to mao's iron city canton.

98 take Canton losing one sm.

101 Puwen pays me visit with a small SoD of war chariots. I'm not really prepared as I'm busy with the Chinese. I saw this coming already, but I need that Chinese Pyramids. I guess this game might not last long anymore, he really caught me with my pants down. Trigger my golden age (Puwen thinks I'm in it for a long time now).

203.27KB
103 More WC's have arrived, and they razed the city of Leptis Minor. My NumMerc's didn't put up much of a fight. Of course I rush as many NumMerc's and horses as I can, but Puwen clearly has the upper hand. Below in China I keep my focus on Beijing.

104 Puwen advances towards my core lands, but just now I realize an important thing (which I also had thought of in the beginning of the game but forgot). His WC cannot cross jungles and mountains and of those I have plenty ! I only need to defend my weak spots and he will have to use swords to get through (which he probably will later). This will buy me some time. Three elite victories give me no leader, but do give me ... Beijing, with the Pyramids. This will surely help me build up, but will it be enough?

105 Puwen retreats his chariots. I got Xerxes back in war against him, but Puwen says he's glad I did, because he can take their lands now. He doesn't realize that he could have probably brought some fatal damage to me. Now he has given me a second chance. I still have loads of cash, but my income is not good, as I have many gpt-deals going on.

108 Mao wants an alliance & rop with me against Osman. I get 400gp for it. Sure, Mao, you know you can trust me

109 Puwen wants peace so that he can totally focus on Xerxes. I agree, because this relieves me from the heavy gpt deal I made with Persia for the alliance. He just built the GL, but that's ok cause I'm not trading techs anymore, so he'll has to do his own research.

129 Haven't logged in a while. I tried to expand more, filling everything with cities, but unfortunately some civs hit MA, so all of a sudden I was under attack by a few stacks of barbs. The situation looks pretty bad, my GA is finished
and I'm in anarchy now, six turns total, to become republic. I'm handbuilding FP in Theveste, but I really need a leader for it. Just cleared the Chinese of the map. Puwen is finishing Xerxes. I hope that, once I am out of Anarchy, there is still some xerxes left that wants a large gpt deal for Feudalism. The plan now, if there is any that can still lead to victory , is to try to take all of the eastern hemisphere, including France, and hope that Puwen will wait with attacking for as long as possible. But I think this game is pretty much over, wouldn't you agree? Seeing the game he had with JM, I suspect him to try to cross our in-between waters, and had for my core cities. Or maybe go for a cultural win
Old 24-08-2003, 02:29   #10
jack merchant

That must hurt But it does show the power of the war chariot !