Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 19-04-2005, 19:15   #61
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

It takes essentially the same time in the evening to play one game and 2-3 games.

@bed_head7: Any preferences?
Old 19-04-2005, 20:22   #62
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Still looking for another game apparently.
Old 20-04-2005, 02:39   #63
bed_head7

No preferences at all. Since level playing field is guaranteed, I'll take whatever is thrown at me, tundra or grass cows, Mayans or Portuguese.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 05:36   #64
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

It is more important than it might seem. There should be some preference. Is it a brutal game you are looking for with gory ancient age battles (usually it ends up around turn 100-120 on tiny pangea and no need to build anything but barracks and units) or some more intelligent continents-type map when Navigation is needed to start killing each other? This means research is required. In all cases, there are 3 traits that can hardly be balanced: agricultural, seafaring, and scientific. Other traits are not so important.

Also, I have not yet played tiny archipelago map with multitude islands all accessible prior to astronomy. Don't know how this map would work.

I understand, for a universal player, there should be no huge difference, but still there might be some preference.

I have no preference regarding minor issues such as SGLs, SoZ, barbarians, etc. However, imo, we should start in locked war, and there should be no goodie huts. Once decided upon landshape, civs can be picked up and map request posted.
Old 20-04-2005, 07:08   #65
bed_head7

I would assume, of course, that the way the game would play out would be affected by map form and such. Locked war, no goodie huts, etc. are all fine here. I also realize that certain traits are unbalancing, and I assumed that that would be accounted for when I said I don't really have any preferences.
Old 20-04-2005, 07:59   #66
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

If I may suggest a small map with about 80% water (at least 6 or 7 ocean tiles between continents) so that we will not be able to reach each other's continents without Navigation, no small islands, just two continents, mine and yours. This would mean relatively low corruption and little if none unproductive cities even on Demi-God or Deity. But Emperor level might be sufficient as well, just to speed up the research rate. It calls then for scientific civs to speed up the game movement and might be seafaring as well but we both cannot be Byzantines. This also means a somewhat later (not AA) UU. Seems that Ottomans is preferred civ for this kind of map but not sure about it. It would be really hard to balance, may be only with Byzantines or Portugal and even in this case not completely since Dromons are not so useful against Caravels and the ability of Carracks to cross ocean is not that important because only a single tech separates Astronomy from Navigation and Portugal is not scientific and would be outresearched easily imho.

Let's discuss the setting first and then we can pick up civs. Mapmaker cannot balance the traits, just the map. It will be probably identical continents, what else can be done for the balance?

Just figure out your other preferences for barbarians (no fix please if you are the second to move), SGL, SoZ, etc whatever you wish. And may be pick up a civ, I'll try to balance with my choice. The problem is that I have played Ottomans already in 2 games and they are extremely powerful civ even without Sipahi. We might try to avoid them and pick up something less potent.
Old 20-04-2005, 08:11   #67
bed_head7

Well, I honestly have no idea how to choose two equal civs for that map. I think if trying to balance tech rate and both be seafaring, the only real options would be Byzantines and English. English could keep up with the Byzantines, or close enough I think, and then the Byzantines would have an early naval advantage, and then the English would become the power once (if) magnetism is researched. Maybe I am wrong though.

As for SGL, get rid of them, right? SoZ could be eliminated or perhaps something else could be done to make it fair. By barb fix, to you mean NoAIPatrol? If so, I can edit that line back out.
Old 20-04-2005, 08:22   #68
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Honestly, I don't think England will survive to Magnetism against Byzantines. Regarding cheap harbors, militaristic civs also have them, so I would rate Rome higher than England on this map but not sure about it. Well, we can always choose non-seafaring and non-scientific civs both. Or you can try England (you) against Byzantines (me). No chance it is the other way.

There is always a possibility of playing the same civ with the same UU and traits. Like we both play Ottomans or Byzantines.
Old 20-04-2005, 08:38   #69
bed_head7

Really? Well, I'll trust you on it. This is why I wanted to let you make all of the decisions. Honestly, I am fine with whatever you decide to do.
Old 20-04-2005, 09:01   #70
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Ok, last attempt. Is there any civ you like or UU you like. For example, may be, it is possible, you had a dream of some samurai or berserk cutting your human foe into pieces and received a great pleasure from that dream? Make a choice and I will try to balance it with mine in critical traits.