Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 05-12-2004, 19:31   #21
Markstar
King

@akots: I don't think it sounds too sceptical at all. Actually I don't even think Sid Meier's presence will make much of a difference.

And yes, expect A LOT of bugs.

"Expect the worst, hope for the best."
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 20:32   #22
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Plux

Question: What would you guys think when they would implement a combat system such as in Rome Total War, where you can either decide to let the computer calculate the outcome or you can dive in yourself for some strategic battling.
It would be lame. It'd take the focus away from the primary mission, building a civilization. Anyway, even in R:TW I've reverted to computer calculated battles.
I recently thought about the way combat was done in the Civ:CTP series. That's a good way to promote the use of combined forces.

As for Sid being present: it's his company, so duh.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:22   #23
Sir Eric
Warlord

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

another interesting note from Soren on Apolyton in regards to gameplay ("unfun" elements)

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Yes, speculation it is mostly, as I said previously. But they said they'd "get rid of" these unfun elements, that's good - but I do indeed hope they will be replaced with something more interesting.

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Soren
There seems to have been a lot of consternation about the "get rid of unfun elements" quote. Perhaps I should clarify. We have identified the game pieces of Civ which have caused the most user annoyances (pollution, corruption, etc.). Instead of trying to band-aid these problems, we are mostly tossing them out and implementing better systems that will require less micro-management, provide better high-level control, and still create interesting gameplay challenges.
If the emphasis is moving away from micro management, will that allow the gamer less control over his empire then he currently has?

I like the ability to play a regent level game and just focus on a conquest win without too much MM, and I also enjoy playing a Monarch or occasional Emporer SG and practice improving my MM skills. I hope the new civ allows for such a difference in playing styles as Civ3 does.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:25   #24
Pastorius
Custard used tile

http://www.arenanetwork.com.br/modul...view_photo.php

Brazillian website, but some of the screens are "new"

My opinion: Dont like the look of it right now. Probably wont buy it...
edit: I care more for gameplay, but as it is right now, I dont have an incentive to rush out and buy a game considering that civ3 took considerable time to shape into what it is today. I bought civ3 as soon as it came to norway, and that was an "unfinished" product, slightly prematurely released.

The graphics of this new civ4 does look a bit annoying imo, thus I will not rush out to get it. In fact I might wait for a year before getting it, if I get it at all - to see what trustworthy people say about gameplay
Old 05-04-2005, 06:40   #25
Aggie
Emperor

It not the looks, but the gameplay and the AI. We need a more powerful AI than we have in civ3.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:00   #26
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

It not the looks, but the gameplay and the AI. We need a more powerful AI than we have in civ3.
I completely agree with that, Aggie. But the problem is that most gamers go for flashy graphics before gameplay and game development has logically followed that trend. So, it's quite probable that Civ4 will be even less playable than unpatched vanilla civ3 was, with nice graphics (though they need to work on that a bit, 'cause IMHO those screenshots are damn ugly!).
Old 05-04-2005, 10:25   #27
Shabbaman
Administrator

OTOH, they can start with the civ3 AI and build from there. They must've learned something from creating civ3, especially the conquests debacle.

Though I don't know if they actually see c3c as a failure. Maybe it sold really good.
Old 05-04-2005, 13:12   #28
Matrix
Administrator

It is said that Sid Meier is on top of it, like with every version of Civ3, so it should be ok with game play. And now that they don't have Infogrames/Atari anymore there is a possibility that the new ones are more patient, so that it will be less buggy.

All in all, you shouldn't underestimate the power of graphics. I still stick to the opinion that it was graphics that made Civ1 so extremely addictive.
Old 18-05-2005, 11:15   #29
Matrix
Administrator

Four new screenshots:
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/620/620513/imgs_1.html

And new info: front page CivFanatics.

Those screens are getting better, don't you think?
Old 18-05-2005, 11:42   #30
Plux
King

Looks good.. But I disagree with you on your earlier remark that civ is about graphics. To me, it is mainly about gameplay. IMHO many other strategy games look just as good or even better than civ, but still they are not civ
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote