Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 27-10-2005, 14:46   #141
yndy
Prince

I wonder which game speed he is playing on, normal, quick or Epic? It goes pretty slow with the development, in Civ3 terms.
Old 27-10-2005, 16:57   #142
Markstar
King

What I find really cool is that while loading a new game, the old theme from Civilization (1) is played.

Didn't get much further so far, but it seems the graphics do get in the way as I have feared (when zooming out you can't differentiate which unit belongs to whom, animations get in the way of moving units).
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 21:47   #143
Whomp
King

The impression I'm getting from Sullla's walkthrough and Sirian/Sullla's Cuban isolationist SG is religion is the early research path. The new "growth is power" seems to be religion.
Old 27-10-2005, 21:54   #144
grahamiam
Emperor

i'm pretty sure it's very flexible. I did just fine ignoring religon altogether at noble and emphasizing commerce and research, though not as well as them, but they have head start I have a feeling noble is too low, but I'll stick it out till the game is done as there's a ton of new concepts to learn/forget/etc
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 04:29   #145
Matrix
Administrator

This is the best news I've heard so far!
Quote:
quote:Removing unnecessary micromanagement from the game was a high-level design goal for Civ IV, one which paid off huge dividends in the final product. We systematically looked at every piece of micromanagement from which Civ 1-3 suffered and figured out ways to remove it without altering the underlying game dynamic. Pollution was removed in favor of a high-level health system. Beaker and hammer overflow was introduced to end the incentive for min-maxing your citizens each and every turn. City riots were simply turned into angry citizens to take away the need to continually check on your cities' happiness in case something went wrong. Workers now have two moves so that a move and an order can be given on the same turn -reducing the number of times the player deals with an active worker by half. Also, some high-level controls to allow micromanagement were added. For example, workers can be grouped together and given an infinite number of sequential orders. Multiple cities can be selected at a time, allowing the player to change all cities on one continent to build tanks with just two clicks.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:52   #146
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Sulla started a 7-piece walkthrough on his own website. Good read and it shows a lot of game mechanics are quite different from what we are familiar with.

http://www.kalikokottage.com/civ3/su...v4_walk_1.html
Is it just me, or doesn't this link work anymore??
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34   #147
Kemal

Correct, it is because the host he used simply couldn't handle the insane amount of traffic his website generated. A case of the walkthrough just being too popular, I suppose.
Old 03-11-2005, 13:04   #148
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Yeah, it got up to 100 GB of traffic, and when he switched to a new host, that got 20 GBs in 12 hours!

Glad I read it when I did...
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote