Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 02-01-2009, 16:40   #41
digger760
King

Well i was given Civ Rev for the DS for christmas, i did'nt think it was too bad. Those random events you talk about Shabba aint so random, they are milestones for an economic victory and they are in the manual.

The Knight armies are kick arse. and definiatly the game is unbalanced if the AI does not use them (I have only tried 1 game so far). The pace of the game is very fast, so i cant imagine much modern warfare in the game.

I had no problem seeing the combat odds, provided i removed the help options.

It does seem that once you get a lead it would be almost impossible to loose it, because with all the "1st to" bonus's you get catapulted way ahead of the rest.

Given that I never had time for a fully fledge civ game, I only ever played small or tiny maps, the DS version is not that far off the type of Civ 4 games i was playing.

+ this is the first game i have ever played on the DS, so it was fun.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 13:37   #42
Shabbaman
Administrator

Sure, they're not random, they're triggered. But it surely feels like a random bonus. The effect is way too big.

I'm going to download the demo for PS3, with a decent screen the game should play better as well.
Old 27-01-2009, 16:13   #43
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, some impressions of the ps3-version of Civ Rev. My first impression was "wow, that's UGLY!". This game definately needs a modpack. Maps seem so... empty. Presentation of data (such as aforementioned combat odds) are a lot easier to read on a 32" screen than on the DS. The main quarry I have with the game is that I just miss the mouse. I've grown into a point and click guy (yesterday I heard a complaint from a friend that bought col2 for her laptop, but that she was disappointed that she couldn't move units with the keyboard properly...), and although it's perfectly possible to play the game with the controller it just feels wrong. A mouse is definately easier! The game is still unbalanced with all these scripted events, but I can imagine it can be fun in multiplayer. They're definately stalemate breakers.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04   #44
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Civ Rev on the DS never really grew on me. The DS has a lot more fun games to offer than Civ Rev unfortunately. For TBS lover like ourselves I recommend the Final Fantasy Tactics series. Was great on de GBA and is great on the DS as well. The DS FFT-A2 handles a bit better cause with 2 screens the info is displayed much more convenient. And you'll be sinking in dozens of hours of gameplay before finishing the campaign.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 14:38   #45
Shabbaman
Administrator

I just found out that during my holiday (and unfortunately not a day before my holiday) civrev was released for the iphone (and ipod touch). It's priced pretty low, only ten bucks. Cheap for a game, but expensive for a iphone game. It's cheap enough that I'll try it though.

Major anticipated downside is that it'll undoubtly drain the battery pretty quick. But then again, so does just looking at your iphone...
Old 26-08-2009, 00:26   #46
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post

Major anticipated downside is that it'll undoubtly drain the battery pretty quick. But then again, so does just looking at your iphone...
That's because they're not for looking at but for showing off. And you don't need power for that
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 11:58   #47
Shabbaman
Administrator

I tried the "lite" version (a demo, so to speak), and I have to say that it is civ. The graphics are very similar to the DS version: top down 2d view. But it seems as if the iphone has a better resolution, so the images are better. One of my annoyances with the DS version was that the information wasn't displayed properly (or even at all...), the iphone version is better at that. The controls are smoother as well, though touchscreen just isn't on par with a mouse. What makes the iphone controls differ from the DS controls is that all actions are on the touchscreen, where on the DS there was some controller mapping. Playing on the iphone is more relaxed, the controls are very intuitive.

Still, there are some issues I have with civrev that haven't changed ("oh look, I got the pyramids for free!"), but there's a difference here between the iphone and the DS version: the iphone version can be patched, so it can also be balanced with additional patches if necessary. Another thing is that the sound is awful, but maybe that's better in the full version. For 10 bucks this game is a must buy if you have an iphone or ipod touch.