Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Hattrick forum
Home

Old 19-07-2006, 06:05   #1
sz_matyas

Default Another New Team: Hunting Penguins

Well, I was conned into joining hattrick without reading any of the previous posts since I am a bit of a soccer fan and have some more time now that I don't play Kings of Chaos. I had planned on having a week or at least a couple days between when I signed up and when I got my team based on what I heard and was going to use that time to get caught up on how to play the game. Instead I join at 5 pm and have an e-mail at 10 pm saying I have a team. I don't have a lot of time the next couple days, since I'm working on publishing a paper, and consequently can't read through all the long threads (I'll try to make it over to Krys thread though since he is in a similar position). Tips for getting started would be appreciated.

I am #4 in VI.544 Wisconsin Region of USA club #226236
First scheduled match is on Sat. the 24th
My team as given:
Quote:
quote:

Your 18 players

Blair Meredith
TSI = 190 , 27 years, weak form
Has disastrous experience and solid leadership abilities [Head]

Stamina: poor Keeper: wretched
Playmaking: weak Passing: weak
Winger: poor Defending: inadequate
Scoring: weak Set pieces: passable

Donnie Stiles
TSI = 140 , 25 years, weak form
Has wretched experience and inadequate leadership abilities

Stamina: inadequate Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: inadequate
Winger: poor Defending: poor

Fang Shih Tien
TSI = 30 , 27 years, inadequate form
Has poor experience and inadequate leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Stamina: poor Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: weak Passing: poor
Scoring: poor Set pieces: solid

Gabriel Ryder
TSI = 90 , 21 years, passable form
Has disastrous experience and poor leadership abilities

Playmaking: poor Passing: poor
Winger: wretched Defending: poor
Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: disastrous

Gaspare Cornejo
TSI = 90 , 19 years, weak form
Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities [Head]

Stamina: weak Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: weak
Winger: poor Defending: weak
Scoring: weak Set pieces: poor

Jesse Mcghee
TSI = 590 , 23 years, inadequate form
Has wretched experience and inadequate leadership abilities [Head]

Stamina: passable Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: inadequate
Winger: poor Defending: passable

John Villa
TSI = 200 , 24 years, passable form
Has wretched experience and wretched leadership abilities [Technical]

Stamina: disastrous Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: inadequate Passing: poor
Winger: weak Defending: poor
Scoring: passable Set pieces: poor

Kevin Cardona
TSI = 160 , 25 years, inadequate form
Has disastrous experience and inadequate leadership abilities [Technical]

Playmaking: disastrous Passing: poor
Winger: wretched Defending: passable
Scoring: poor Set pieces: inadequate

Luther Smith
TSI = 280 , 21 years, poor form
Has disastrous experience and passable leadership abilities [Technical]

Stamina: weak Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: inadequate Passing: passable
Winger: poor Defending: weak
Scoring: poor Set pieces: weak

Mak Bailuo
TSI = 70 , 29 years, poor form
Has poor experience and poor leadership abilities [Technical]

Stamina: inadequate Keeper: wretched
Playmaking: weak Passing: inadequate
Scoring: poor Set pieces: disastrous

Matías Raigoso
TSI = 860 , 26 years, inadequate form
Has poor experience and wretched leadership abilities

Stamina: poor Keeper: inadequate
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: wretched
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: inadequate

Neal Olvera
TSI = 80 , 24 years, weak form
Has poor experience and weak leadership abilities

Stamina: poor Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: wretched Passing: poor
Winger: inadequate Defending: weak
Scoring: weak Set pieces: solid

Paul Henley
TSI = 560 , 21 years, inadequate form
Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Stamina: weak Keeper: wretched
Playmaking: inadequate Passing: passable
Winger: weak Defending: inadequate

Percy Godwin
TSI = 0 , 51 years, wretched form
Has excellent experience and inadequate leadership abilities

Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: wretched

Quentin Mayes
TSI = 1 720 , 25 years, poor form
Has wretched experience and inadequate leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Playmaking: solid Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: weak
Scoring: solid Set pieces: solid

Shad Goetz
TSI = 150 , 23 years, inadequate form
Has wretched experience and weak leadership abilities

Playmaking: wretched Passing: disastrous
Winger: inadequate Defending: passable
Scoring: weak Set pieces: inadequate

Steve Ferguson
TSI = 330 , 25 years, inadequate form
Has wretched experience and weak leadership abilities [Powerful]

Playmaking: weak Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: poor
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: inadequate

William Mayolo
TSI = 540 , 27 years, poor form
Has wretched experience and inadequate leadership abilities [Powerful]

Playmaking: passable Passing: poor
Winger: passable Defending: weak
Scoring: weak Set pieces: weak
Thanks in advance for any help, because right now I know next to nothing about the game.
Old 19-07-2006, 08:15   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

Welcome on board. That Quentin Mayes is a good player, the rest is ehm, crap. The first suggestion is to read to rules and finish the manager challenge (for money, you know). And if you read Tubby's thread, for instance, you can find a lot of info.

Or just fire away, we're eager to help.

Best tip of the day: try to arrange a friendly for today (or tomorrow). That's going to be difficult, because most players arrange their matches in advance. But if you look in the advertisements sections (somewhere halfway the left column) there's a friendlies section. Post an ad there, and start challenging people. Playing a match is important, because otherwise your playerd don't get trained.

Next up: deciding what you want to train. Goalkeeping is very easy to start with.
Old 19-07-2006, 10:50   #3
Kemal

Maybe getting a friendly isn't that important at the moment considering that your squad at this time doesn't really have a player that really benefits from being trained (they're not good enough, I'm afraid).

If your short on time, I'd prioritize the following things:

- Most important thing is to get a training regime started for your team, as that is the most solid method of getting forward for new teams. Goalkeeping is a good training for newer teams and/or teams with less time, there's probably a lot more on that in the Tubby thread, as Tubby is training goalies.
If you do go for goalkeeping training (personally I'd recommend it), make sure you get:

1) at least 1 trainable goalkeeper before the next league match (sunday) and 1 before the next friendly after today. A trainable goalkeeper would be an 18 year old solid (about 100K value)
2) replace your current coach by using external recruiting and go for a passable coach with poor leadership. Most people here would probably recommend a solid coach, which is better but more expensive, and I think it might be doable to survive, however it will require some financial balancing acts, and a little luck with not getting your keepers injured, in the first few months.

Whether you'd like to take it relaxed the first few weeks, or aim for optimal results, is basicly the choice you make when going for a passable or solid coach.

Also, if you want to do reasonably okay in the league next season (starts in 4 weeks) you will need some extra money for some reinforcements, since as Shabba said, most players you got aren;t really any good. That's not an immediate concern though.

Finally, as for hiring staff, I would go for hiring 1 spokesperson and 1 physio now, plus 1 goalkeeping coach next week as well.

Good luck and welcome to HT!
Old 19-07-2006, 10:55   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

You know, I do have a trainee on the transferlist now. The deadline is something about 1 CET, that's about dinner time in where you are, I guess.
Old 19-07-2006, 11:09   #5
Socrates
Emperor

Welcome. I'm a newbie, but since I'm mentioned in this thread (I'm mentioned because I'm a newbie though ), I might just post as well.

Indeed your team seems pretty weak, except for that Quentin Mayes, which could be used as an inner midfielder or a forward (is that right ? ).

I'm on my way to GK training, so you're welcome to read my thread if that's the route you intend to take soon.
Old 19-07-2006, 12:42   #6
Tubby Rower

sz_matyas, Kemal stated that a trainable GK would be an 18 year old solid, and I would argue that you should be able to get a 17yo solid at a reasonable price since it's at the end of the season. 1 year matters a good bit for your trainees. Shabba's GK trainee is a good one since he's 1 weeks training from popping to solid.

I think that the following players aren't too terribly bad and don't need to be fired/sold right at the beginning.
- Jesse Mcghee (Defending, but the Head specialty will bite you as a defender since a technical forward could run circles around him)
- John Villa (forward, or even defensive forward)
- Kevin Cardona (defender)
- Quentin Mayes (as people mentioned. he could be played as an inner midfielder, forward, defensive forward, or offensive inner mid)
- Shad Goetz (defender or even wing back)
- Steve Ferguson (winger)
- William Mayolo (winger to middle or inner midfielder)

All in all, you do have a crappy starting squad. But do not fear, as you'll likely be playing against a bunch of bots and their easy to beat. I just looked at your league, and it appears as though they just dumped 6 other new teams in that league. The #1 guy has been there since the beginning of the season. It looks like if you win against Itailia5 this week then you have a good chance at finishing 2nd. It might not sound like a lot to the other guys here, but the prize for finishing 2nd is $60k, 3rd is $45k, and 4th is $23k. That extra boost in a starting squad will help out tremendously. So aim for 2 wins. That means buying a bunch of decent players before your match on Sunday.

so here's what I would do right now.
- set training to stamina and 100% intensity for now
- finish the challenges as quick as possible
- buy players to fill out your lineup. (more on this later as I have to finish my coffee and get to work. I'll goof off when I get bored in a little while and give you a little more insight as to what to buy. Or the other guys here will)
- save some money for at least a passable skilled / poor leadership coach = $79 600 (although I would recommend a solid / poor coach for $268 700)

According to the rules, you can go into 200k in debt while buying players. I would try to limit the debt that you have to 100k - 150k. Your income at the beginning will cause you to lose some money for a good while. But you should be able to manage the 100-150k in debt and not have to worry with it. GK training is fast so if you need to sell one, it's not that big of a deal. The challenges should give you $250k and with your initial $50k and the ability to go into debt, that leaves you with say $400k to play with. Don't spend it all in one place

Old 19-07-2006, 17:50   #7
Tubby Rower

Ok here is what I have come up with... play a 4-4-2

Forwards - Quentin Mayes & John Villa

Inner Midfielders - purchase 2 of them (try to get passable playmnaking with passing inadequate or better) ~$45k - 50k each

Wingers - Steve Ferguson & William Mayolo

Defenders - Kevin Cardona & Jesse McGhee (if you get time try to replace Jesse Mcghee, you might even try to sell him and buy someone with similar qualities)

Wing Backs - Shad Goetz. You need to buy one of these guys too (passable winger and defender)
maybe $30k-40k

everyone else fire. You might be able to sell Luther Smith or Paul Henley , but I doubt that you'll get your money back for putting them on the transfer list. You can only fire one guy every 12 hours so you might want to start now so that you finish by Saturday evening when the USA economic updates are ran and you pay their salaries again.

Oh and if you are training GK's then you need to get 2 trainees. I would recommend 1 17 yo passable (shabba's is a good start) and 1 18 solid. after you get them, get your new coach and switch your training to GK @ 100%. If you are training anything else, disregard most of what I've said.
Old 19-07-2006, 18:03   #8
Shabbaman
Administrator

Really, the guy I pulled might do with a single training, and because he has already played this wee k you'll get a free training. I hate pushing this guy, but it's pure gold. GOLD! Anyway, do with him what you want. His player id is 122840745, deadline at 00:31 CET.
Old 19-07-2006, 18:15   #9
Tubby Rower

I'm tempted to sell one of my guys just to make the money off of him...
Old 19-07-2006, 18:48   #10
sz_matyas

Thanks for the tips. I'm getting started on the challenges and trying to book a friendly right now. What would be a good price for your goalie Shabba, current bid is $70K (mine), slightly above the asking price. As for youth squad, what is a good investment level. (I set it at $10K/week, since I don't think I have the money to support a better one) My first pull was a 20 yr old goalkeeper with 0 TSI and no skills at all, making him my first play fired.

Well I should really get back to work, but this gave me someplace to start.