Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 12-05-2008, 18:45   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default GTD

I stumbled over GTD (getting things done) time management method today. It appears to have quite an avid amount of followers especially in ICT segment as it aimed at knowlegde workers.

Obviously I thought about you all and I was wondering if anybody knows/used the method and did it work for you?

And does anybody have any experience with the online tools for it like Nozbe?

Plan on reading the book and see it works for me anyway but curious to other people's experiences
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 23:38   #2
Matrix
Administrator

I can see your interest in it as you were rather elusive the last couple of months but now make a few posts every minute.

Never heard about it though, so I can't help you. I could do with a little more time management, though.
Old 12-05-2008, 23:41   #3
ProPain

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I can see your interest in it as you were rather elusive the last couple of months but now make a few posts every minute.

Never heard about it though, so I can't help you. I could do with a little more time management, though.
Making up for lost time []

I'll tell you if this works for me. Gotta go get some sleep now, cause even without a time management tool I know getting up at 5 am is gonna be a killer

Old 13-05-2008, 02:07   #4
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I'm interested, this sounds like great side-material for loose classes ... got any links?
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 09:51   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

I'm always trying to Get Things Done(tm). There's little to manage besides myself and uncooperative customers, however if it's interesting I'm interested.

So Google is your friend as usual. What the excerpt tells me is not really thrilling though, but it seems comparative to my work style. Nothing wrong with some theoretic foundation to prove you're right I'm not coping with such complex tasks that I need a tickler file, but I'm using the tool that Outlook has (flagging). I would like a tool that keeps track of changes to databases, tasks and workflows, but this tool doesn't seem to do that. My projects aren't time-bound anyway, everything is ASAP here.
Old 13-05-2008, 21:56   #6
ProPain

I agree it's not rocker science by the looks of it but like you I'm very interested in a theoretic foundation that proves I;m right [} But I can do with some improvement as well. Also I have used a system similar to the tickler file for a while, made up by me Worked ok untill lack of discipline killed it, prolly the most essential factor in any time management system

Ofc I did th googling as well and it seems mr Allen David also borrowed some concepts from the all famous '7 habits of highly effective people' which had some interesting concepts but also incorporated a few principals that just arent for me ( like formulating your family mission and updating it as a family on a regular basis)

Ordering the book to get some more insights on the whole GTD thing, keep you guys posted.

And for Beorn, www.nozbe.com has some quick and comprehensive tutorials on the whole system.
Old 13-05-2008, 22:16   #7
Pastorius
Custard used tile

I use Outlook, having it set to open on the calendar part
I ve divided my inbox into folders, catalog structure based on main topics, to make finding old emails easier

I delete outgoing email after a while, and I often print important documentation received by mail

Flagging is all right with me

I also use the calendar app to define periods of the day where I devote time to produce something that requires uninterupted time (letting our call center know that I am not available for calls during that period)

Then there is the workflow system in the main application we use, but I m not gonna describe it here. Let me just say that it is quite decent for a 10 yo application
Old 13-05-2008, 22:53   #8
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Ofc I did th googling as well and it seems mr Allen David also borrowed some concepts from the all famous '7 habits of highly effective people' which had some interesting concepts but also incorporated a few principals that just arent for me ( like formulating your family mission and updating it as a family on a regular basis)
From my quick browsing I assumed it was the other way round. The family thing sounds very... american.
Old 14-05-2008, 00:16   #9
ProPain

Other way around could be true as well and yes I agree