Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 01-02-2005, 17:36   #51
Plux
King

Putting in a lot of effort for ToA will be hardly worth it. With 30 shield temples and being agri in every city you'll have a temple in 5, 7 or 10 turns at most.
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 21:08   #52
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Pyramids seem substantially more tempting than ToA and it might be possible to get them on Emperor imo. With enough luxuries it might be possible to whip at least cathedrals and may be universities in food-rich cities even if they would have to starve. Also, we actually might be better off avoiding ToA since culture for temples does not double. With "projected date" or around 1400-1600AD, it might be worth only if acquired after 400-600AD apparently. But by then, the conquest phase should be essentially over either with GS or knights. It might be also that we would need Navigation to reach some remote areas of the map and/or trade luxuries with the AI and hence Education might be required.
Old 01-02-2005, 22:04   #53
col
King

Hmm - I still think ToA is a breaker. The early temples allows libraries to be whipped instead or a settler to be built. Combine ToA with 200+ cities and we have a lot of very very rapid culture
Old 01-02-2005, 22:41   #54
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I'll have to find a few GOTM discussions between SirPleb and mad-bax regarding the balance of early expansion versus early culture with calculations as well as cost/cpt for various improvements. Also, later on, it might be worth considering Palace moves either for free or with a leader to corrupt areas to boost production there.
Old 01-02-2005, 22:50   #55
Kingreno

Hmm, much depends on the map and also who our neighbours are! If our neighbours are Industrious (or the Inca) they start with masonry and will very likely beat us to the Pyramids. We can capture it easier with the GS then build it ourselves.
Remember that for getting it ourselves we need Masonry rather soon and it is not a tech that leads us anywhere.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:56   #56
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

There is a plently of stuff written about 100K in PTW/vanilla. But very few posts on 100K in C3C. I guess, differences are obvious.

The only meaningful post seems to be one by SirPleb winning COTM4 100K culutral race.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...7&page=2&pp=20

The date has been rather impressive although he also played for score since this is GOTM and score is more important. Also, he did not stay in Despotism obviously. In SGOTM, the only thing that matters is the finish date apparently. Though mad-bax tries to stick to his word, he used to change or tweak the rules half-way through the game "due to new circumstances discovered during gameplay". Certainly, SGOTM would be not so well polished and not so thouroughly tested as GOTM is especially in its C3C version and especially since there would be only a few teams playing C3C. I'm not so sure at to whether he is always fair and considers all options as well. And since the scenario (map at least) was created in vanilla editor, a series of bugs might be highly anticipated. After all, it will be the first C3C SGOTM - SCOTM.
Old 04-02-2005, 20:35   #57
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

There is a very peculiar discussion in the SGOTM forum "Permitted" by mad-bax. IMO, the guy is trying to fuck up the game again. Also, I really don't understand his attitude. If we ever meet face to face in real life, first thing he gets from me is a good punch just for the fun of seeing his reaction (of course aiming to break the nose).
Old 04-02-2005, 22:43   #58
Melifluous
Administrator

Confused...

I seen the rating that Mad-Bax posted.

Puts me at Sid with anarres and akots, whilst Col and Killer get Deity and KR gets emperor???!!!???

I can honestly say that I have never even beaten Deity in my entire life.

And I easily put Killer above me in rankings, cant comment on KR, but I suppose the Col ranking was fair

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 23:56   #59
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I guess this is specific mad-bax's "Double vision". IMO, the words of a song come handly around him: "I wear my sunglasses at night". It works in a very simple way: You see what you want and what you think is true and you just ignore what you don't want to see.

It might be OK, but same things come to the games sometimes. At least, this was the case while he was play-testing them alone. I would still prefer an exact replay of the original GOTM with some tweaks or some variant or playing for some other civ than in original GOTM while keeping the scenario. And am very suspicious regarding the home-cooked (anti)constipation cocktail of poorly tested scenario with weird distribution of the players between the teams.

However, rumor says that mapmaking and playtesting of the variant rules has been substantially improved. So, it is worth a shot IMO.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46   #60
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

The tread at CFC is up and running. It is possible to start discussions there but the save will be available on the 7th.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=111448