Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 06-04-2006, 01:07   #21
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

well its called teatime for a reason
Hey, this avatar is MINE !!!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:18   #22
Tubby Rower

Old 06-04-2006, 01:18   #23
Socrates
Emperor

I don't care for how the King spoke French (or, for instance, Molière). I mean, French is an alive language, and so it evolves. Furthermore, I live in France. You can hate the way our Académiciens work (I don't have an opinion), the one, proper French language is spoken and taught here. The rest is just rip-off.

What don't I like in Quebec ? A small but very active community trying to counter the English language to the point that English is seen as stranger, some kind of "language racism". As for the new words (technology fields...), the words you come up with are amusing, yes, but not French proper. The aim is to try to find a correspondant word for an English word, by means of traditional translation (eg. "podcast" -> "baladodiffusion" ("baladeur" = "walkman", and "radiodiffusion" = "broadcasting") (seen in a recently aired program about Canada)). Our Académiciens are also lame in this regard, as they tend to transform the English word into a French-ish word that sounds and reads the same or so (eg. "email" -> "mél" ).

I might be wrong. But this seems to me like artificial ways to create new words. I think that the language should evolve from bottom to top (people to elite), not the opposite. And no need rushing to find the translation, let time passes... And I also think that the two main factors for languages are economy and conquest. With the latter being somewhat forgotten these days, I'll leave this final comment : let the Francophone world to leadership again, and you'll see French becoming widely used and influencing other languages. This is for Quebec and for France as well. Today is Warhol's moment of glory for the English language.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:19   #24
Tubby Rower

hey stop it... you just wait until I figure out how to mod stuff!11!!1!!!onehundredeleven!1!!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:29   #25
Pastorius
Custard used tile

so, quebecans send "mels" to Mel?

French as the leading world langue
Old 06-04-2006, 19:58   #26
RegentMan

Thanks for the responses, everybody.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles
It used to be...
Old 08-04-2006, 21:03   #27
BCLG100
Deity

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

well its called teatime for a reason
Hey, this avatar is MINE !!!!!
happy now?

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 21:25   #28
Whomp
King

I like the fact that Canada speaks two languages. I think the U.S. should speak Spanish as well. Then I could say stuff like "be te o te corto chango flacco con dientes podritos...I think that translates to something like "back off or I'll cut you skinny monkey with bad teeth. BCLG Akots avvie is pretty cool so it was a good choice but I do like your new one.
Old 08-04-2006, 22:29   #29
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RegentMan

Thanks for the responses, everybody.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles
It used to be...
And Latin used to be back when the world consisted of Europe and North Africa (not putting much weight in the fact that teaching barbarians to speak proper latin was a rough job.
Old 08-04-2006, 23:37   #30
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Everyone learns American English mainly because lessons in school are reinforced with satellite television which is mainly American.

It's funny to hear and entire generation of Europeans grow up speaking English in American accents...

Meh.

There's a healthy dose of english english being broadcasted here. Enough to learn any properly educated dutchman the difference between english english and american english. However, in school only english english is being taught.

Perhaps that's the root of american english being prevalent But more likely it's from writing more and speaking less. Which in turn leads to stoopid accents.

P.S. bclg, if send me a link to an image I can set that as your avatar.