Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 12-01-2006, 20:07   #1
Tubby Rower

Default English to American

In a recent post Shabbaman referred to bollocks. I've heard that most of my life, but never knew what it was. So I typed it into google and found this lovely website.

http://english2american.com/

apparently bollocks are nuts.... here is the entry for it.
Quote:
quote:bollocks n. How do I put this delicately... bollocks are testicles. The word is in pretty common use in the UK (not in my house, of course!) and works well as a general "surprise" expletive in a similar way to bugger. The phrase "the dog's bollocks" is used to describe something particularly good (yes, good) - something like "see that car - it's the dog's bollocks, so it is". This in turn gives way to homonym phrases like "the pooch's privates" or "the mutt's nuts" which all generally mean the same thing. Oh, and this beer from Wychwood Brewery. The word has also slipped through the the State of Florida's censors in the wonderful form of this registration plate. We also describe a big telling-off as a bollocking, and additionally use the word to mean "rubbish" (as in "well, that's a load of bollocks").
Now I can understand most of what everyone is saying
Old 12-01-2006, 23:06   #2
Whomp
King

Tubs,

A few pointers...

Shabba once told me that "I wouldn't know sarcasm if it kicked me in my teeth". To which I replied "I don't have any teeth".

Irony along with sarcasm is the basis of English humour and totally lost on most Americans. Saying "...NOT!" is not sarcasm.

A couple others..

Twat. In the US, calling someone a twat is unwise since you are accusing them of being a pussy. In the UK, it's a mild insult meaning "idiot" which we are so you perceive it to be a compliment. I now ordain you a "twat" when talking to you at CDZ.

Personally I would like to learn proper usage of cockney rhymes someday...you know sandra bollocks and all.

Oh one last thing....soccer is not a word in any language outside of the United States. If you do use it...I say bollocks Tubby gets fist in arse.

Old 12-01-2006, 23:27   #3
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Great explanation Whomp
Old 13-01-2006, 01:38   #4
Socrates
Emperor

21.1*KB

Tubby ???

I learned that when my cousin and I wrote a song whose title was set up around that word... long ago. Came from the Pistols of course (him). Realized that a bit later, but got the meaning immediately... To conclude the lil' story that nobody cares about, "my" "mansion" in the country yard is named (in French) after something close to that... which is in close relationship with said song.

OK, I'm going back to Civ4, sorry for threadjacking.
Old 13-01-2006, 01:47   #5
bed_head7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WhompIrony along with sarcasm is the basis of English humour and totally lost on most Americans. Saying "...NOT!" is not sarcasm.
Does this mean that if I were to go to England, people might be occasionally amused at my comments instead of being initially confused and then walking away thinking I am a pretentious asshole after I tell them they are too stupid to get it?
Old 13-01-2006, 01:50   #6
Rik Meleet

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Shabba once told me that "I wouldn't know sarcasm if it kicked me in my teeth". To which I replied "I don't have any teeth".
So true ...
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

No way, only certified heterosexuals with a good track-record, proper education, high enough wages and the correct religion should be able to adopt children. And they should also be the only ones allowed to have children of their own.
And only after they get married.
Quote:

You and I are going to need to have a good talk in London Rik. That is one biased view Mister. What's the difference? The couple I know are both have their masters, have a great track record and one parent stays at home because the other makes a phenomenal living to support the lifestyle.
Quote:
Sarcasm, my dear Whomp.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144318
Old 13-01-2006, 02:38   #7
Whomp
King

Quote:

Quote:

So true ...
Quote:

No way, only certified heterosexuals with a good track-record, proper education, high enough wages and the correct religion should be able to adopt children. And they should also be the only ones allowed to have children of their own.
And only after they get married.
Quote:

You and I are going to need to have a good talk in London Rik. That is one biased view Mister. What's the difference? The couple I know are both have their masters, have a great track record and one parent stays at home because the other makes a phenomenal living to support the lifestyle.
Quote:
Sarcasm, my dear Whomp.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144318
Oh that was really nice me old china. Bugger off..you little D'Oyly Carte....hope I got that right..
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WhompIrony along with sarcasm is the basis of English humour and totally lost on most Americans. Saying "...NOT!" is not sarcasm.
Does this mean that if I were to go to England, people might be occasionally amused at my comments instead of being initially confused and then walking away thinking I am a pretentious asshole after I tell them they are too stupid to get it?
Oh no that's a very American thing to do BH. Most traveling Americans are assholes. Subtle we are not.
Old 13-01-2006, 04:34   #8
bed_head7

Perhaps I should have said "people might be occasionally amused at my sarcastic comments."
Old 14-01-2006, 02:15   #9
admiral kutzov

tubs, neither you nor whomp are permitted to refer to the twat partee...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:58   #10
BCLG100
Deity

more cockney rhyming slang- you dont want to get 3 pints gonorhea, diorhea and up the rear if i remember correctly.

also dont really want to be a james blunt, hes a singer in the uk and i figure you can work out what his last name rhymes with

CDZ Cup Champion!!!