Civ3 15 53.57%
Civ4 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-10-2006, 14:05   #11
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Agree with grs that mm-ing was more fun in civ3 (for those that get a kick out of it), but overall I think civ4 is better in every aspect (even mm-ing, since few people like that).
I might be amongst the very rare group of players who actually enjoyed MMing in Civ3 a lot, but now prefer Civ4 even with less MMing, ie. MMing in Civ4 is more fun and better for me.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by barbu1977

For me it's civ 2. I don't know why, but I just liked it better.
Played that one too much, and grew old of the numerous exploits and badly implemented features, plus all the civs being the same and the conquering of the map consisting in settling in dozens of grassland areas looking much the same was kinda boring. Too streamlined.
Old 24-10-2006, 14:08   #12
Matrix
Administrator

Very tough decision. The modability of Civ3 was absolutely great, although graphically too hard for most people. Civ4's World Builder sucks, actually. That's the reason I still haven't made my scenarios "Now" and "Alicia Silverstone" for Civ4.
I still think that it's ridiculous that you need such a heavy video card for it. It decreases gameplay tremendously.
I still prefer attack and defence values instead of these promotions...

Civ4's advantages are multiplayer and game mechanics (=the game core).

Give me Civ with Civ1 graphical style (top-down view, square tiles instead of diamonds), Civ3's editor and Civ4's game mechanics (except unit stuff), and you'd make me a very happy man.
Old 24-10-2006, 14:14   #13
Shabbaman
Administrator

I voted civ4. I think that I spent a lot more time with civ2 than I ever could with civ4, but that was a long time ago. Since I prefer to play civ4 now, I'd say that I prefer it over the other civs.
Old 24-10-2006, 15:41   #14
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

The modability of Civ3 was absolutely great

Quote:
quote:I still think that it's ridiculous that you need such a heavy video card for it. It decreases gameplay tremendously.
Fail to see the connection between gameplay and graphics. Graphics are just a way to display gameplay, but both are independent in a strat game. But I agree about the gfx card needed.

Quote:
quote:I still prefer attack and defence values instead of these promotions...
Ridden for good. Made no sense. Promotion is more dynamic, lively. And you can have a mod with attack and defense values if you want. Which brings me to...

Quote:
quote:Civ4's advantages are multiplayer and game mechanics (=the game core).
And, and, and... modding. The new Warlords patch (announced today) features some AI tweaks made by a fan (name : Blake). Feel the power of modding up to the high sphere of Firaxis !

Quote:
quote:Give me Civ with Civ1 graphical style (top-down view, square tiles instead of diamonds), Civ3's editor and Civ4's game mechanics (except unit stuff), and you'd make me a very happy man.
You're a difficult man to please.

BTW, I'm quoting you just to have a bit of a debate, otherwise it's just a thread where everyone gives his answer and that's it.
Old 24-10-2006, 15:51   #15
BCLG100
Deity

civ 4, then its a tie between 2 and 3

the only thing i dislike about civ4 is how crappy it runs on my comp.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 19:51   #16
Matrix
Administrator

@krys: Civ3 had an editor outside of the game. Now you have to load Civ4 itself first. Plus you could set up a lot more in there than in the World Builder of Civ4. And the WB doesn't work properly.

Needing a heavy graphics card makes everything move so damn slow/catchy. Compared to Civ1&2 it takes forever to move a single unit. Sure, Civ4 looks nice, but that's inferior to gameplay.

Units: Alright, matter of personal preference.

Modding: Yes, a lot more is possible for Civ4. But plain simple things, like creating a scenario, or making small graphical adjustments, are already way too hard! This is a paradox: the more beautiful the game gets, and the more 'moddable' it becomes, the harder it is for an amateur to mod/create. IMO, with Civ3 they were on exactly the right spot in the balance; in Civ4 they've gone too far.

I'm not difficulty to please. This is optimalisation. I think the Civ1/Civ3/Civ4-mix I mentioned is the ideal Civ-game and will be appreciated the most by most people. But I fear Firaxis isn't searching for an ideal (as far as that exists), because that would leave no room for a future Civ-version...
Old 24-10-2006, 20:05   #17
Kemal

Civ1 graphics be appreciated by most people?
Old 24-10-2006, 20:12   #18
IglooDude

Civ4, hands down. I'm not a modder (nor do I even play mods), I just play the vanilla game over and over again. And with 4, those games vary a lot more than they did in 3 (or 1, way back when).

And the cherry on top is that with 4, I'm actually playing against other people via PTBS.
Old 24-10-2006, 20:43   #19
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal
Civ1 graphics be appreciated by most people?
I'm not saying we should go back to 320x200. But the top-down view, and cartoon-like graphics are really the best, if you ask me...
Old 24-10-2006, 21:23   #20
Kemal

Well, I do agree that I think the "real 3d" models used in modern pc games look out of place in games such as civ, so in that respect I'll admit I slightly preferred previous incarnations of civ.