Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 07-03-2006, 06:47   #1
REALPOLITIK

Default Announcing Civ4 REALPOLITIK!

Civ4 REALPOLITIK

Realpolitik
n. [German : real, practical (from Late Latin relis, real. See real1) + Politik, politics (from French politique, political, policy. See politic).]

Politics based on practical rather than moral or ideological considerations.

Civ4 Realpolitik

A multiplayer PTBS-based team game where each playing Civ is regarded as a Government, and 8 main Governing Body members help define co-operately (or not) the future of their Civilisation. These people are elected into these positions and hold term for a set amount of time (30 turns). With all of these positions, every important decision relating to the game will be accounted for. Each of the 8 Governing Body members have particular strengths, in the form of double, triple & sometimes even quadruple votes in their relevant fields. This is where the real politics come into play. Majority rules, and not only will you be worried about the interests of other Civ's, but you'll also have to worry about your fellow advisors... if you want you shape the Civilisation you're in, then you'll have to exert some influence... but at what price?

Disclaimer:
WARNING! This game burns at a slow pace, while tension builds up at a much faster rate. You will be entering the Civ4 world of politics and must be prepared to deal with all manners of political espionage, intelligence & deceit. Play this game long enough and eventually any other version of Civ, solo or multiplayer, just won't feel the same. You may even begin sleeping with a gun underneath your pillow, check your back every 10 steps while in public, and perhaps be alarmed by the subtle movement of a passer-by... he scratched his nose... does that mean he's 'on our side?'.

Become a fully-fledged Politician! Win an electoral position and strive to keep it! Keep your fellow policitians happy, while keeping the Civilisation moving forward! Look out for backbenchers, they're a part of your Civilisation but do not have a Governing Body position yet... come next election, they may want yours!

The Governing Body

Leader: The most powerful & influencial member... and also the most backstabbed.

Vice-Leader/Treasurer: Become that backbone of reliance for your Leader, while surging the economy forward.

Military Advisor: Commander of Military Operations, you recieve voting bonuses for anything with a weapon. In wartime you lead your soldiers into battle... where you'll either return as a hero, or a backbencher.

Infrastructure Advisor: Prefer the power of running the Improvements & Wonders show 'behind the scenes' without all that media attention?

Cultural & Civil Advisor: Civics, Happiness & Culture, if you like multi-tasking and a balanced power spread, then this one's for you.

Foreign Affairs & Trade Advisor: A position that will only grow in importance with time. You are the one responsible for running your Civilisations spy network & having a powerful say in who's your friends... and who aren't. You also do a bit of legitimate trading, too.

Scientific Advisor: - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. [Arthur C. Clarke]
Make some magic happen.

Relgious Advisor: Who needs spies and all this political mumble-jumble, when you have the most influencial religion, with missionaries spread wide and far?

Become a Spy!

Too much politics for you?? Then find yourself in a foreign Civ, living the life of a true spy in Civ4 Realpolitik. Anonymity is paramount, or else you may find yourself both out of favour with the enemy, and your home state who claim they never knew you.

Does this game have a limit of players? No!
Is it ever too late to join? No!

Yes, they're are 4 Civs & 32 Governing Body positions... but you may always join a Civ at any time and enlist as a backbencher. Backbenchers even get a vote when it comes to minor decision making!

So how do I join?

REALPOLITIK is hosted at Evogames.net with dedicated forums for both public & private (1 for each Civ) posting.

Interested? Here's where we are...
http://evo-games.net/Home/viewforum.php?f=235

1. Familiarise yourself with the Rules of the Game, found in the Realpolitik main forum (as a sticky).

2. You have two options with enlistment. You may approach one or more Civilisation's personally, by posting your interest publicly in their "Join [Leader] of the [Civilisation]" or sending a private message to any current Governing Body member. Alternatively, you may post your own thread and let the Civilisation's poach you.

Note:- With espionage a key element in this game, please note you may have to prove your worth to a Civilisation you wish to join.

3. Unless there is an open position in the Governing Body, you will be required to stay on the backbench until the next election, where you may run for a position.

4. Once accepted, soak in as much info about the game as possible. If you have any queries, you may ask your fellow Civ members, or post in the FAQ thread. Soon enough, you should be a fully fledged Civ4 REALPOLITIK member!

So what are you waiting for? Join the REALPOLITIK team in a suspense-filled world of smoke & mirrors, politics, intelligence & espionage... and of course... Civ 4!
REALPOLITIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:49   #2
REALPOLITIK

Oh and another thing.. we are 18 turns into RP already... and of course, with the first game of this concept, a lot of work has gone into updating the rules & concepts to create a smoother experience.

The game is well past the beta stage now... and we're all already looking forward to RP2.

With this in mind, something to perhaps tempt you all with

We are targeting the dozen of so major Civ sites around for recruitment for RP2. The way the game starts is players send private message to myself, the game admin, nominating which Civ they wish to play for. The Civ with the most votes wins a position in RP, along with all players who voted for it. The rounds continue the same until a sufficient amount of Civs have been selection (for RP1, it was 4 Civs... we are aiming for 8+ in RP2).

With sites from Russia, Brazil, France & Germany having a strong, tightly-knit following, we're naturally promoting that they collaborate together to all vote for the same Civ, so RP2 will have a real International flavour, with Civs being made of, for example, entirely French speaking players... imagine the Diplomacy!!!!

As for the other English-speaking sites, we welcome the same kind of collaboration.. in the good interests of competition.

Of course, this isn't set in stone, and any player can join any Civ

Hope you hear from all of you soon. I truly think this game is a must to try out, and the feedback I've gotten from RP Players points to RP being better than ANYTHING they've ever played before!

Old 07-03-2006, 06:57   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

How is this different from the demogame?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:14   #4
REALPOLITIK

Quite simply, the Demogame is make-your-own-Democracy. Realpolitik has a Governing System already set in place.. so the emphasis is taken away from rules upon rules upon rules, and put on strategy, voting, discussion, espionage.. and of course.. the game itself.

We have quite a few Demogame players already... many who greatly welcome this hybrid platform.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:06   #5
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by REALPOLITIK

Realpolitik has a Governing System already set in place..
Sounds like real life politics to me. Lots of talk and nothing happens...

Not my cup of tea though. It looks like there's way too much RPG-stuff for me...
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35   #6
REALPOLITIK

Well of course. Personally, I'm not into PBEM games, or other standard Multiplayer games where the only focus is Ancient era war. Not my cup of tea

We understand it's not everyones cup of tea... and most players who are playing RP are current and former Demogame players who wanted something smoother, quicker, faster.. but immensely tense. Of course, standard MP and even players new to MP have joined RP and are currently loving the game...

This is merely a post to say, hey... this exists.. and you're welcome to try it out, if you like
Old 07-03-2006, 14:30   #7
grahamiam
Emperor

welcome to CDZ
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 14:54   #8
REALPOLITIK

Do you mind? This is a SERIOUS game looking for SERIOUS players. If you feel the need to try and be funny, i'm sure there's sections in this forum where you can. Now if you don't mind, I spent many, many hours developing this game and even now, I'm working away, hoping to promote the game further.
Old 07-03-2006, 15:21   #9
Socrates
Emperor

I don't think anyone here considers himself serious actually. Plus we are a bunch of anarchists here ; what is a government good for anyway ?
Old 07-03-2006, 18:12   #10
Whomp
King

This Realpolitik guy has recently made a number of people very, very angry, including me. However, as anger serves no function in a successful rebuttal, I will simply state objectively that I'm not fond of this Realpolitik guy to my very bone marrow. Those of brittle disposition might do well to await a ride on the next emotionally indulgent transport; this one is scheduled nonstop over rocky roads. As soon as you're strapped in, I'll announce something to the effect of how this Realpolitik guy holds onto power like the eunuch mandarins of the Forbidden City -- sterile obstacles to progress who operate in the gray area between legitimate activity and dangerous fogyism. We can never return to the past. And if we are ever to move forward to the future, we have to draw a picture of what we conceive of under the word "pancreaticoduodenostomy". The moral of the story: This Realpolitik guy slaps his message of pesky elitism on everything that stands still.

Thank you very much for your time.[]

Whomp of the idiot anarchists