Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 21-10-2008, 08:18   #121
Stapel
Emperor

Some things:
-At the moment, ore can be sold for 2 and tools can be bought for 2. So there is no use at all to convert ore into tools, let alone buy a blacksmith and abuse a missionary to do this at a food defecit.
-Coverting raw materials into luxuary stuff is hardly ever useful in the first half of the game.
-We should focus on food, crosses, colonists and trade.
-A load of tools was bought and is now doing nothing. Either use it for a galleon or trade it to Monty. Since a galleon is way cheaper in Europe, it should be bought there immediately!
-We still don't know what the village of Tlateloco teaches. Perhaps it's fishery.....
-The missionary should either do what he is good at or he should be stripped and taught fishery. I suggest we load the missionary (along with the criminal) into the caravel, check out Tlateloco, possibly leave the criminal (if he an lear fishery) and then ship the missionary to scout the island to the west of us. After scouting he can build a missionary.

-In short:
-Buy a galleon in europe, stuff it with colonists, tools and trade goods and sail to America.
-Get the criminal and missionary to Tlateloco.

I can perfectly understand that each player does things differently. However, explaining why you do things and why some advizes are ignored, would be nice .

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 09:12   #122
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
Since a galleon is way cheaper in Europe, it should be bought there immediately!
IMHO it should always be bought in Europe in the early game. The time it takes to build one simply makes it extremely non-cost-effective (is that a word?). It may seem like it costs more if you buy it in Europe, but you get it much, much faster, which is a huge gain. Also since we now have Minuit it'll only cost 2250, so that's actually really cheap.
Old 21-10-2008, 09:12   #123
socralynnek

Can you explain why you think a Galleon is cheaper in Europe? I don't now rushing costs, so therefore I don't know.

In Col I it was more useful to directly start converting goods as prices of the raw material would be dropping quite fast. I think it is not that fast in Col2 so you might be right. OTOH Indians now have more oney to buy our stuff. And they surely don't wanna pay much for tobacco... And, another OTOH, At some point we need to pay pretty high taxes, so maybe producing now gives us more in return then now selling tobacco and later selling cigars. But then again, there are Indians to sell to.

And I hink you are right, that producing tools is not worth it at it is pretty cheap in EUrope. If it costs 4 or more, then we can think about producing.

Edit: Forgot, that we have Minuit.
Old 21-10-2008, 09:41   #124
Shabbaman
Administrator

Buying a galleon in Europe would be moronic if we'd want to keep the REF small. If you want to rush the galleon, buy timber.
Old 21-10-2008, 09:49   #125
Stapel
Emperor

As it was:
-We had started building a galleon in Shabbaville (I think it was aKots). We had bought tools in Europe and we were planning to buy a lumberjack to provide the lumber. This way, rushing the ship in Shabbaville could have been done about 10-15 turns ago.

-As it is: We are building other stuff in Shabbaville, the tools are still in Silverbastiano and we have Minuit. We should most defenitely buy the galleon in Europe right now.

@socralynnek,
If you open up the save, you can simply see (by moving over the $) the rush costs.

Once more my opinion:
-Buy a galleon in europe, stuff it with colonists, tools and trade goods and sail to America.
-Get the criminal and missionary to Tlateloco. If the criminal can learn fishery, do so. If not, simply automove him to the fish-village.
-Sell the tools in Silverbastiano to Monty (maybe do so, before filling up the galleon?)
-Pick up the treasure with our galleon, when it has arrived in America.
-Use the missionary to establish a mission or ship him to the other island.

Old 21-10-2008, 09:51   #126
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
Buying a galleon in Europe would be moronic if we'd want to keep the REF small. If you want to rush the galleon, buy timber.
Hmm,
I didnt think of that.
Do galleon count as warships / military?
EDIT: I checked things out. Galleons do not count as warships.

Whatever we do, we really need a galleon a dozen turns ago!

Last edited by Stapel; 21-10-2008 at 10:14.
Old 21-10-2008, 10:29   #127
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, if it's not a warship, then we should buy it as it'd take 40 turns to build it and there are other builings we could build!
Old 21-10-2008, 11:26   #128
Darkness

Never mind. Stapel already commented on the gallon vs REF issue.

Last edited by Darkness; 21-10-2008 at 11:30.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 11:29   #129
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by socralynnek View Post
Can you explain why you think a Galleon is cheaper in Europe? I don't now rushing costs, so therefore I don't know.
Time.

It takes very long to build one. If we buy one we can start shipping treasure and use that money to buy colonists. We would get increased production about 40 turns sooner as well as extra transport capacity to sell stuff to the Indians and send people to the Indians to learn and also increase their productivity (and again, about 40 turns faster)...
Old 21-10-2008, 14:14   #130
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Time.

It takes very long to build one. If we buy one we can start shipping treasure and use that money to buy colonists. We would get increased production about 40 turns sooner as well as extra transport capacity to sell stuff to the Indians and send people to the Indians to learn and also increase their productivity (and again, about 40 turns faster)...
Apart from time, which is a very good arguement, it's simply cheaper.