Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Whomp's forum
Home

Old 26-10-2005, 22:00   #31
romeothemonk
King

After having played football, I understand why all the stops are in there. By about the end of the first quarter you are dragging your hump around. Every little pause is amazing good for you. It is fun to play in below freezing weather and you can just watch and feel the steam roll off of your body.
Anyway, I hope Konerko hits about 3 dingers tonight. That way someone will overpay him to play for them, and then he won't kill the Twins every time they play.
Go Sox!!
Baseball is all about patience. I find it funny that Akots, a master of MM in civ3 can find baseball boring.
Old 26-10-2005, 22:58   #32
barbu1977
Emperor

Let's just say baseball is something different. I totaly understand that people don't get the game, but come on! It's not a coincidence that millions of people play and watch that game.

One thing is sure, unlike other games you have to play it before being able to watch it. You then understand the excitement about turning in a double play, hiting a curveball, or event catching a fly.
Old 26-10-2005, 23:00   #33
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

[entering drunken idiocy]Baseball is the greatest sport ever conceived.
Well dunno if it's the greatest, but one of the best for sure.

Quote:
quote:YOu guys like European football where a lead is everything and where a game can actually end up being tied. A game that is nearly impossible to recover from an early goal or two deficit....... You'd figure out a way to slow the game down and play defensive. This I find immensely boring but hey what the heck it's good exercise for the youth of America.
It's not all Italian football that's played my friend. It's definitely possible to make up for an early 2 goal deficit and in the end baseball can be about a few or even 1 point difference as well. Do keep in my mind that a football match is much shorter in time than a baseball match. Never done the math but I wouldnt be surprised if the no of points/goal per hour wouldnt differentiate much.

Quote:
quote:Most of you have never played the game so you'd never understand what it feels like rip a baseball 400 feet to straight away center, make a play in the hole and throw a runner out at first, move a runner into scoring position or lay down a squeeze bunt.....
Played it for years, love watching it, had a great time when the world cup was played in the Netherlands this year and we finally got some baseball on tv.

I also love watching football (and cycling, ice-skating, tennis and the occasional motorsports for that matter ), the fact that you think thats boring maybe just means you dont fully appreciate it's intricacies like you do baseballs. So I;d say just give football a chance and you might even get hooked on another sport as well. Provided you watch a decent match of course so none of that US competition []

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 23:27   #34
Matrix
Administrator

Damn, the thread exists for some time, but everytime I see it's title I read "Go Sex Go".
Old 26-10-2005, 23:49   #35
Socrates
Emperor

I concur that defensive football is played best by the Italians (I hate them ! ). Not possible to recover from a 2-0 ? The fact that it is not common makes it exciting, and when it happens everyone wets his pants. Thinking of 2004's France-England, when England was leading 1-0 a few minutes before the end of the match. Zidane decided it was silly, and scored twice in a row, making it 2-1 for France, when everyone wasn't expecting it anymore !

Anyway, the latest editions of the WC and the EC were a bit boring, but I'm betting that Germany 2006 will see the return of the big squads (nah, I didn't say France !).
Old 27-10-2005, 00:15   #36
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Damn, the thread exists for some time, but everytime I see it's title I read "Go Sex Go".
You're obviously a newlywed
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 01:12   #37
Whomp
King

I would like to talk more about the intricacies of football. It will be fun to follow the World's Cup with you all so I can understand it better.
Old 27-10-2005, 17:38   #38
Gary G

Eight Popes, Fifteen Presidents and.... A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 18:02   #39
Whomp
King

What a great team!! No players scored more than 100 runs and only Paul Konerko had 100 RBI's. GM Kenny Williams has constructed a team that has the potential for more to come. Their hottest pitcher Brandon McCarthy didn't even make the playoff roster. Ahhhh...World Champion Chicago White Sox. Wow....

Shoeless Joe Jackson R.I.P.
Old 27-10-2005, 18:12   #40
grahamiam
Emperor

so, how hung over are you?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote