Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Aggie's forum
Home

Old 18-05-2004, 22:20   #11
Aggie
Emperor

My land:

The Demographics:

The world map and the military vs Krys. Red arrow points to Carthage:

Old 21-05-2004, 07:11   #12
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 112: Korea has 359 to offer for Literature. There is no reason to keep this tech for me alone, so I sell it for that price.

Turn 116: I get Construction from the Great Library. The Vikings have a galley close by, so I decide to make peace. After this I trade them Silks and Currency for Wines to compensate for the war hapiness loss.

Turn 123: Krys has CoL. So I quickly try to make a buck. The Vikings give me 8 gold and 6 gpt for it.

Turn 125: I have a lot of cash, so I spend 65 gold to investigate Oea, the cheapest of Krys' places.

He does a min science run as well and is doing quite ok as it is. And if I'm not mistaken, he is in a golden age! That explains why I'm not number one 1 the demographics anymore. I will build up a bit more and then sail to Carthage with galleys filled with swords. Parking them next to places like this, undefended.

Turn 129: I get Polytheism for free and enter the Middle Ages My army is finally average compared to Krys. I upgraded about 7 warriors to swords in a few turns...

Turn 130: Krys and I both had to deal with the Spanish, who dropped SoD's next to our cities. But after 20 turns they all have disspeared one by one. Guess they couldn't pay upkeep anymore. That Statue of Zeus with the free cavalry units every 5 turns is a mixed blessing I guess
Old 21-05-2004, 10:36   #13
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Yeah, I had ancient cav disband in the middle of battle as well. Even when I was outnumbered.
Well that was on regent, and the ai had too few cities to really support the amount of troops generated by the statue- and since it didnt attack before I attacked it, it was a walk in the park after a few turns...which really made me understand that it is time to forget about regent completely and only play monarch till I control that level and can move up to the dangerous emperor level.

Looks like you ve done quite well for yourself here. I was a bit surprised to see the starting position, but I guess that's archipelago for ya...taking into consideration that most people here are better at sea expansion than I am, I d say you will be doing quite well in the future.
I expect to see a mighty battle with Carthage - and lots of cool screenies.
Old 21-05-2004, 13:54   #14
anarres
anarchist butcher

I wouldn't assume cities like that are undefended - if krys is being sneaky his units will be outside his cities, waiting for you...

Of course it is still worth a shot, if they are undefended you will see when approaching and can make do with just a couple of swords per city.
Old 21-05-2004, 14:07   #15
Aggie
Emperor

I already decided to strike with a big fleet and army. I probably won't send them in a big stack, but will use the different sea passages to only join the ships close to his border. 15 galleys and 30 swords/MDI's are my aim. I probably will strike the core cities, after investigating them.

The newest events are quite interesting and surprising though. And a foolish act of mine gave me a great reward:

Turn 138: Krys is in anarchy!! I'm guessing and hoping that he has Monarchy. I would be stunned if he somehow got hold of Republic. I still have 10 turns to go to get that.

Turn 139: Krys tells me he has Republic He must have profited from the GA to get it so fast. Maybe combined with a few libraries? He won't sell it around of course, I would get it via the Great Library then. But I have 1700 gold so....enough for a safe steal (1200 gold). It succeeds and I now also have Republic. I'm going into anarchy myself and draw 5 turns. Krys tells me he has 6 turns. I also sell Republic around and net 500 gold and 9 gpt. Only the very backward tribe of India doesn't get any.
Old 21-05-2004, 15:18   #16
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Wow! That's just...wow....indeed a good investment...damned risky, but that's life - gotta take risks. Way cool. Good luck getting out of anarchy
Old 26-05-2004, 02:03   #17
microbe

Interesting game Aggie. As one who never played PBEM, how long does a game usually cost you? Usually how would you win? What's the major difference between this and normal games?
Old 26-05-2004, 06:52   #18
Aggie
Emperor

How long does a game take? Well, if you look at my spoilers than you can see that they cabn take from a month to half a year. My game with Stapel I regarded to take a long time (half a year) and my games vs ERIKK and Jack Merchant generally were played quite fast. The most normal victroy in a PBEM is crushing the other human. This normally happens between Chivalry and Tanks. But I have won a Space Race once (non agression pact between the humans).

The major difference is that there's another tribe in the game with solid play and tactics and you tend to focus more on the turns. It's all far more relaxed.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:40   #19
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 149: With 20 swords my army is finally stronger than that of Krys... I also lead in the demographics again.
Making 100 gpt and being the first in everything I decide to fully focus on military and nothing else.

Turn 171: I now have 40 MDI's and on my way to Krys's place. He's at war with the Vikings now and the very conventiently took a size 6 city .
I assume that my attack comes as a surprise. The tech pace is absurdly slow. Only one AI knows three of the first Medieval techs. Krys knows none of them.

Turn 172: I am now nr 2 in the money earning catagories. But I started my marketplaces now that my fleet is going to Carthage.

Here's my fleet in the right top corner (20 galleys and 40 MDI's). I can land from out of Krys' sight to two core cities in 7 turns (5 movement galleys). Shown with the red arrows. I could reach more cities, but I want to keep a SoD for Carthage itself. The blue arrows, to the capital and another major city unfortunatelly take a turn longer. I'm not able to invade the capital from an invisible spot...

Old 10-06-2004, 06:45   #20
Aggie
Emperor

Krys' homeland. AFAIK Russadir and Hadrumetum are Carthage cities. So Krys is hurting!