Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 15-10-2004, 00:39   #1
Kingreno

Default Kingreno vs Beam ***SPOILAH***

Settings, continents, Kemal made the map, thanx!

I play the Greeks, while Beam plays Sumeria.

This will be tough, the Agri trait is not to be underestimated! I expect to loose soem serious terrain in the beginning but hope my commercial trait will make up for it. Also, I do begin with Alphabet compared to Beams Pottery. IF I get to Philo first, I have a chance.
I do start on Pottery first though. This strat needs a grany.
The start:

23.98KB

I immediately start a setler. It will head towards the goldhill.

Some turns later:

51.24KB

Veldhoven was founded. I meet the Americans on turn 21.. I trade them Alpha for masonry and we have tech parity now! Abe turns to cautious as well.
The small part of the world I have explored now has good potential. I hope Abe is not too close to the south. I need the Spices at all costs.
Old 19-10-2004, 20:37   #2
Kingreno

The game progresses fast!

Beam took a steady but heavy lead in the early years of the game. If he got even slightly the kind of start I had he'll use his agri-trait to the fullest! And I have no doubt Kemal made fair starts. This meant he was already leading by 40 points after 30 turns and rising ever since. However, The Mighty Greeks did well, expanding rapidly and building granies! Yet the most important thing is we achieved our goal and got to Philosophy First!
We picked Code of Laws as a free tech and now, the Republic is only 42 turns away! Better news is that these newly acquired techs netted us tech parity with our neighbours.
Our Neighbours are the Americans, the Byzantines and the Chinese. After trading I got a LOT of techs:

73.22*KB

I am up Philo on everyone and up Math on Byzantines and Chinese. Also, I am the only one with some cash in the Bank!

The lands:

108.09*KB

Waalre will send out some Curraghs, while Valkenswaard and Eindhoven will build settlers and workers. Veldhoven is also a 2-turn-workerfac, but vulnerable to dissease. The rest is on Rax, I need some form of defence soon. Theodora is already being a bitch.
The Minimap:

2.27*KB

With additional roads and new cities the Republic is due in aprox 30 turns. Our goal is to reach that form of government without being attacked by my rather touchy neighbours.
Old 27-10-2004, 14:20   #3
Kingreno

well well.

fastpaced, turn 80 already, and things are grim on my part of the world. While Beam builds Libs (Urk in top 5) the greeks have their hands full on rather annoyed Americans and Chinese forces...

125.57KB

Both China and America Demanded techs and moved a unit next to an empty city in the same turn. that sucked bigtime and I gave in to the demands hoping they would not attack. I managed to prevent total humiliation...but was forced to send vital Military support to these cities, and worse, change some buildqueues.
The good news is that America turned Polite after I made an embassy and is now sending his units further north through my lands towards China! A sneakattack is still possible but the Greeks themselves are commited to war now. In 10 turns we will revolt to republic and sieze what we can from the Americans, who have sent their armies in the old-fashioned AI-way north; one by one, the Chinese won't loose more then the city that is attacked first.
Beam. Beam has failed on Philo as I was first to get it. Also, he has deviated from the republic-path once for Literature. This in turn means he could also get the Great Library, which would suck, but if he does not I clearly hold some trumps. I estimate I can become a Republic some 20 turns sooner then him.
The f11 alos gives me some good intel. Notice the Non-agri Greeks are first in Population!

54.72KB

All in all pretty decent, knowing the sandwich I am in! I am only worried about area a bit, but that should change soon enough
Old 11-11-2004, 12:53   #4
Kingreno

Turns 80-125

Some good things, some bad.

The fact that the only wonder built on my continent is the lighthouse is not a good thing at all. Beam has a plethora of Great Wonders to capture, with Spain being so very weak. To add to misery, the Byzantines on my lands will surely find the other continent (if they haven't already) using their Lighthoused Dromons.
The war between America and China finaly ended, and not too soon for China. No less then three major cities are now American meaning my northern border is also American now. Not good. There were still a lot of units (90% american) walking through my lands and some of my workers at one point were surrounded (totaly!!) by foreign unts. As soon as the war ended I therefor asked the Polite Americans to leave my turf, as they at that point had only 6 units within my borders. I expected them to go, but they did not, causeing them to declare war on me! I gambled and sort of lost as I had not too many units that time. Enough to survive though.
Techs and Buildings. I have Markets, Libs and rax everywhere. Eindhoven was building SunTzu, as a preb for Knigts Templar, but apparently the other continent is way ahead as Korea built it 6 turns before me. I now am in a bit of trouble as I do not expect to make SunTzu. I can switch to Sistine now, as I hold a theology monopoly (on my island), but that would be a rather useless wonder. I am racing to Copernicus as a "best of the rest" option.
On the war. Things are okay. I allied Byzantinea and China against America. It cost me my chivalry mono to the Byzies, but they lack horses. China went for 3 gold and Monarchy.
The area: I am fighting two fronts now and am aiming to capture the former Chinese cities in the north asap, to make sure Byzantine units are heading towards teh south.

104.87*KB

Veldhoven builds a knight in 3, Valkenswaard a Hoplite in one.

The biggest worries are near the Bergeyk-region. It is attackable from 3 directions. Walls are there and luckily the first hoplite there promoted to elite, netting me a very sturdy defence.
This in turn also meant a GA! Strange thing is that Beam ery likely went into one as well, as I am still first in productivity but went second in MFG.
Future: I am praying for a decnt wonder in Eindhoven. I will accept any. I want to wipe Abe of the face of the planet, but priority lies with astronomy. I need to find the other continent.

To conclude this short update, the minimap.

5.11KB

Old 12-11-2004, 22:16   #5
Kingreno

I get a Leader attacking Tatung in the North!

80.7KB

I will make an army of Knights next turn, opening up for the Heroic Epic in Eindhoven, if I fail on a Great Wonder. Also, the Army of Knights will help my cause a great deal.
Old 13-11-2004, 03:49   #6
Rik Meleet

You are a bit pessimistic ... And yet, there are so many targets.
If you conquer your continent quickly you should be fine.
What level is this?
Old 13-11-2004, 04:14   #7
Ginger_Ale
Prince

From the (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=2001) Map Making Thread, it's demi god. Not doing too bad KR.
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 11:09   #8
Kingreno

@ Rik: Pessimism and Realism were at some point very close . Beam led by score from the start, and his island simply preferred research and wonderbuilding over Military, unlike mine. That can happen and I will have to deal with it. Beam now has the Hanging Gardens and Artemis in Solid hands (it flips now and then but hey...).

@all. I now may have overestimeted Demi-god. I am cutting through America like a hot knife through butter. America is the biggest civ on the planet, and has all resources.

The war is going great. The Byzantines have captured Miami, and being the biggest city in "enemy" hands, Abe directs his forces at Miami...leaving the rest defended by only some pikes for Greek Knights. Oh, and Abe, sending lone Archers in my Territory will not help you:

111.41KB

I used this guy for the Forbidden Palace in Bergeyk! Astro in 5, Sun Tzu in 5.
Old 13-11-2004, 12:23   #9
ERIKK

Hehehe, Peer van Eersel and Toon Spoorenburg (from radio Bergeyk) would love that!!!

ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 17:21   #10
Kingreno

Indeed erikk. "kei gaaf man, radio Bergeyk"

As turn 138 came the citizens of Eindhoven had a very though decision to make. Suntzu's was about to complete and in reality 1 out of three wonders could be built; SunTzu, Sistine and Copernicus. Sistime was a no go since there is not a single cathedral in Greece. Sun Tzu would give the limited advantage of free Rax, but I already have Rax in most towns, so it would mainly be to deny it to Beam (who gets enough for free). Also, it will come in rather handy in newly conquered American Towns.
Copernicus would give Eindhoven a great science boost. That is basicly it.
I picked Sun Tzu:

42.33*KB

But for yet another very important reason. Since I know the other continent has Feudalism for quite some time now (korea built Knights Templar some time ago), they too must be building SunTzu. That would mean, upon construction of it in Eindhoven, they would switch to either Leo's, Sistine OR Copernicus. But the latter is only 400 shields, 200 less then the others. The fact that the turn after No other wonder was built is a very good thing indeed, as the AI is rather fond of Copernicus (there are reasons).
It all led me to believe (and hope) I have a solid Monopoly on astronomy. copernicus due in Veldhoven in 14 turns, Caravles exploring sea tiles!

Well. Nice.

The southern lands are beginning to become Greek:

I captured teh Magnificent MoM, and a turn later washington teh Wonderless Capitol.

92.57*KB

Naturally the MeLeGes (Medieval Leader Generators) dispatched the ugly archer creating an uglier Leader who would later give his name to an evan uglier average Dutch Footballclub.

84.67*KB

Used for a second army of Knights, a welcome help!

The southern part of My lands:

130.17*KB

This is where Commercial shines in all glory. Many cities are still pretty productive, the FP in Bergeyk is well situated.

The North: Peaceful.

72.83*KB

As for the stats. F11 shows that me and Beam are doing the hammering. He has a slightly bigger pop, helped by agri's food and irrigated desert. I have a better productivity. We are both in a GA.

18.17*KB

And finaly some news on the scouting front. As I now have astronomy I can safely explore seasquares, we agreed no suicide runs, so no oceans yet. Navigation however, is due in 2 turns now!
I have ships at the eastern and western tips of the continent, ready to set sail!

the Minimap:

4.89KB

EDIT: added right Minimap