Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 02-11-2005, 20:39   #11
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Are you gonna abandon all your cities and start all over in a different spot?

Seriously, why don't you play for yourself?

Good one Matrix! My replacement turns for erikk were not as spectacular as the ones by the now dead other replacement player.
Old 02-11-2005, 23:37   #12
Matrix
Administrator

Ville, Classical_Hero, I don't know what the maximum number of players is to keep it fun (I mean 18 players will take too long), but I think basically former DDPP players have priority, after that other Dutchmen, and after that the rest. It seems the first group won't be enough by far, and second doesn't get very enthusiastic either, so then you're probably in...
Old 02-11-2005, 23:47   #13
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Ready to get trounced. Me lucky, the game functions on the laptop, I only have the random crashes.

This will be my only pbem at least untill 1/1/06 so I'm very excited about it!
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 15:16   #14

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Ville, Classical_Hero, I don't know what the maximum number of players is to keep it fun (I mean 18 players will take too long), but I think basically former DDPP players have priority, after that other Dutchmen, and after that the rest. It seems the first group won't be enough by far, and second doesn't get very enthusiastic either, so then you're probably in...
That's nice but I don't have Civ4 until maybe early December
Ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 19:00   #15
Kemal

One subject that merits some discussions is what we will do with the map, or more specifically, who will create the map.

I might be dropping a bomb here, but I would favour to let the game create the map itself, and not use a mapmaker for this one.

Not only does this fit the historical perspective of the game (the original was played on a full random map as well, after all), but I also feel that the Civ4 generator is much more capable of balancing starting locations. It actively compares each start and modifies it with regard to early available luxes and resources, meaning that a start such as Erik had in DDPP should be out of the question. This doesn't necessarily mean all will start even, but it is a risk I personally am willing to take.

Adding to that, I think that mapmakers will need to gain some experience too by playing the game for some time first, before succesfully being able to assess the ins and outs of a fairly balanced start (as well as figuring out the ins and outs of the editor itself). No need to put that burden on someone just yet, especially for a big multihuman game.

What do you guys think?

Btw, I do not have the full game yet either, but will probably be able to play turns in about a week.
Old 03-11-2005, 19:05   #16
grs
The Nameless One

Random is ok with me, but we should chose some parameters like landform at least.
Old 03-11-2005, 21:04   #17
ERIKK

No jungle starts this game would be nice...
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 21:27   #18
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Fully agree with Kemal! Some familiarization with the editor would be required as well btw.

@ERIKK: Jungle still needs clearing but only a very few turns.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:45   #19
Matrix
Administrator

I agree with Kemal too. I think I mostly prefer continents or archipelago. It's a shame there's no random function where you get one of those three (except tilted axes).

What has also crossed my mind is the fact that Kemal was beta tester and given his reputation at Civ3 he might be much much better than the rest of us. But there's nothing to do about that, except take it easy on starting this game.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:05   #20
Rik Meleet

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MatrixWhat has also crossed my mind is the fact that Kemal was beta tester and given his reputation at Civ3 he might be much much better than the rest of us. But there's nothing to do about that, except take it easy on starting this game.
Chicken...

Can I be a backup-player in case someone leaves the game early ? I am Dutch. I am disappointed (just not sure with what).