Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Romeo's Random Ramblings
Home

Old 29-08-2006, 10:58   #11
Shabbaman
Administrator

Some time ago I read A plot against america, by Philip Roth. Contemporary american literature, but one of the best books I've ever read.
Old 29-08-2006, 16:24   #12
sz_matyas

I agree that it can be a touch long winded at various times, especiallyas it seems to try and reach two audiences, those interested in medieval church/theology and those who enjoy the murder mystery. Both appealed to me, letting me enjoy it without getting bored. I suspect the movie didn't appeal to the theological disputes at teh center of the mystery and hence was a little weaker for it.
Old 07-10-2007, 00:05   #13
romeothemonk
King

Man, I haven't updated this in ages!!
Some of the highlights of stuff I just read in the past year.
3 textbooks for MBA
Re-engineering the Corporation
6 different technical books on electronics and Six Sigma
3 different books on quartz crystals and oscillators
A couple more Heinlein books
The first 3 books from the Harvard Classics. (Marcus Aurelious didn't seem nearly up to the same level as the others)
A huge stack full of Comic books. (The Yankton Public Library has a large graphic novels section and I am a sucker for that stuff)
Harry Turtledoves Timeline 191 series starting with the outbreak of WW1.
A fair amount of Sir Francis Bacon, Milton and other similar British Philosophers/Scientists of the early 1600's.

I am currently working on Catch-22, and will probably move on to Adam Smith next, but I am still open to fundamental philosophical works as well as decent morality play fiction.
Old 15-12-2007, 19:40   #14
romeothemonk
King

I finished up Catch-22 and have moved on to Jules Verne. I purchased a 7 volume compendium of his works, and have thus far read: 5 weeks in a balloon, Journey to the center of the earth, From the earth to the Moon, and Round the moon.

I hope to finish up with the next three in the next month: 20,000 leagues under the sea, mysterious isle, and around the world in 80 days.

That should put me in better standing to read and comprehend the third installment of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Old 17-12-2007, 07:01   #15
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Read Eco's Name of the Rose ears ago and loved that. Now almost finished Baudolino and I think it's soso, starts out good but kinda of a dread after a while.

Started on 'everything is illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer and what I read so far is hilarious. I read 'A spot of bother' (Mark Haddon) last summer and I can higly recommend that as well, the style matches 'The incident of the dog in the nighttime' which is a must read imho.