Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

Old 01-08-2010, 22:12   #71
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I really love Steam but having Civ using it as DRM worries me a bit because it means automatic and mandatory updates to latest patches. I foresee PBEM trouble.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:54   #72
Shabbaman
Administrator

I was having the same discussion with Stapel. We true civ nerds know of the problems that arise with updates, but this time the updates are mandatory. So your opponent will always use the same version. The real problem is if Firaxis comes up with an update that nobody likes.
Old 02-08-2010, 19:08   #73
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I was having the same discussion with Stapel. We true civ nerds know of the problems that arise with updates, but this time the updates are mandatory. So your opponent will always use the same version. The real problem is if Firaxis comes up with an update that nobody likes.
And an update enforcement is an attack on your disposal of the software you're using. Bad, bad DRM !!
Old 02-08-2010, 19:37   #74
Shabbaman
Administrator

An update enforcement could be part of the EULA to begin with. Using software is not the same as buying a bread. You don't buy the software, you temporarily get the right to use the software in the manner you and the programmer agree on.
Old 02-08-2010, 20:03   #75
Stapel
Emperor

Though I'm not a huge fan of on-line registration, I do think this is not the worst idea.

However, I can imagine that, at some point, Firaxis comes up with a really crap update, forcing us civvers to use a crack, in order to play the game properly....

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 20:57   #76
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
An update enforcement could be part of the EULA to begin with. Using software is not the same as buying a bread. You don't buy the software, you temporarily get the right to use the software in the manner you and the programmer agree on.
Totally. But I get to disagree with such EULAs to begin with. That's why I stay away from such software now. Civ or not. Not feeding the beast is the least I can do.
Old 02-08-2010, 21:42   #77
Shabbaman
Administrator

Yeah, I understand. It sucks monkey balls that you can't do with what you "think" you've just bought.
Old 02-08-2010, 22:18   #78
Furiey
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
Though I'm not a huge fan of on-line registration, I do think this is not the worst idea.

However, I can imagine that, at some point, Firaxis comes up with a really crap update, forcing us civvers to use a crack, in order to play the game properly....
They did that to me with Civ 4. I never did get it to recognise the disc (nor the 2 expansions) on my old pc and found out what deoderant was as a result. Obviously we would all like no DRM. Steam for me at the moment seems the better option if we have to have DRM though.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:13   #79
Shabbaman
Administrator

There are downsides to Steam as well though. Basically you get the game as the publisher ships it. This means that if there's securom on the disc, you get securom with the Steam version as well. This makes no sense, but otoh it's not Valve's fault. I have some problems with the steam overlay, but that's because I am alt-tabbing a lot. And for some games you can't use expansions that you buy on steam with games you installed from a disc (also, very likely the publishers fault). This has something to do with whether or not you can register your disc on Steam. Personally I haven't had this particular problem, but I see it being mentioned in the system requirements (in the steam library).

The main reason I'm so happy with Steam is that I'm so happy with Valve, they give great support to their games. Steam is DRM, but besides that it's also superbly integrated into the match fixing system that Valve uses for it's games. I've had bad experiences with similar programs from EA (Battlefield 2) and THQ (Company of Heroes). Matchmaking programs are essential nowadays, and there's nothing better at it than Steam.

In the "DRM" category, Steam is also pretty lenient. Most DRM systems let you install the game you bought 5 times. This is really absurd. Sometimes this has an upside, for instance on the PS3 you can install the same game on 5 different systems. With Steam, you can install and uninstall as often as you want.

BTW, don't forget to become a member of the CDZ steam group.
Old 05-08-2010, 15:17   #80
Robi D
King

I saw on the CFC they annouced giant death robots. Now that all nice and interesting, but the best bit is the responses. Most of them are complaining that its not realistic! This from the same people that don't even raise an eyebrow at building a space ship to Alpha Centauri.

Good old CFC, providing a place for stupid people to gather so they can be laughed at

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote