Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SG archive > Civ4 SGOTM 1
Home

Old 14-05-2006, 16:20   #61
Samson
Warlord

Here is my turn report I just posted at CFC;

I endded up as the 1st turn player for CDZ. Being epic my only real responsability was exploring.

We had already decided to settle on the plains hill, and to go for pottery first.

4000 BC. Move settler to hill, warrior NE to get a view of the coast. Fish spotted.
3970 BC. Settle Thebes, start on worker and pottery. Warrior Heads NW (Cannot go further east, no point going all the way south).
3880 BC. Warrior gets to the sea NW of Thebes. Decides to go NE through hils.
3730 BC. Mapped all land to north east. Warrior heads down South West.
Sometime around here get pottery, start on mining.
3430 BC (turn 641). Meet Cathrine at choke point to south west. Finish worker. Hand game over without moving anything.

Piccys;

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/up...enShot0019.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/hughmorgan7...enShot0020.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/hughmorgan7...enShot0021.JPG
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 05:43   #62
grahamiam
Emperor

Preflight check:BW due in 6T, worker due in 6T as well

IBT:borders expand

T1: 2830 BC worker moves N to plains hill. I thought about NE to the grass hill so I could road it and allow easy access to the cow when we need it, but decided that we would probably come back to the plains hill to mine it and this may save a step for the workers.
Warrior SE, sees a panther at the choke.

IBTanther disappears to the S

T2: 2800 BCroad the plains hill (due in 3T, BW/Worker due in 4T). Warrior N

IBT: Hinduism founded somewhere else

T3: 2770 BCWarrior S, sees panther again.

IBT:Looks like Catherine founding Hinduism as she converts.

T4: 2740 BC nada

IBT:road connects the rice

T6: 2710 BCMove worker W to grass-forest

IBT:BW (revolt) -> AH(14T); worker finishes -> settler (21T)

T7: 2680 BCFind copper over by the choke. Worker in forest begins to chop. New worker moves N to river grass to chop.

IBT:

T8: 2650 BC worker begins chopping

IBT: Catherine settles a town down near the choke.

T9: 2620 BC nada

IBT:

T10: 2590 BC nada. Warrior to the W is moving hill-to-hill to reveal tiles and keep the barbs away. Chops are due in 2T and 3T, respectively. I strongly suggest we settle to the W near the copper. 2T N and 1T E should get us a nice spot on the river/coast + with cows and copper (after 1st expansion). Rax then units for that town, so we can rip into Catherine soon

Pics below.

And da save
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/ci....Civ4SavedGame
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 07:06   #63
Shabbaman
Administrator

That tile 1 north of where the warrior is looks like a good spot. The copper will be in our territory soon then, I doubt, catherine will be building culture (she's not creative is she?).
Old 15-05-2006, 09:55   #64
socralynnek

I think Catherine is Cre+Fin, or not?

But I agree that the spot looks nice. Cathy seems to be 3 tiles away from Copper so I thnk we should be able to get and keep the copper.
Old 15-05-2006, 09:57   #65
Shabbaman
Administrator

Sorry, I mistakenly interpreted the grey box in the bottom left as a cultural border. No more posting for me early in the morning.
Old 15-05-2006, 12:29   #66
Samson
Warlord

So what tech are we going for after AH? I reakon either writing (for a library and CoL) or mystisism (for oricle eventuly).
Old 15-05-2006, 12:47   #67
Shabbaman
Administrator

writing>oracle>code of laws=confucianism

That's tech, but yanky tech I doubt if we have enough forests to pull that off, and perhaps we're better off overall if we use those forests for axemen (and health!) and bash cathy's head. But... that's how I play and that doesn't result in very high scores. Sublime insights are appreciated.
But for the moment I'd say writing.
Old 15-05-2006, 12:57   #68
Samson
Warlord

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

writing>oracle>code of laws=confucianism

That's tech, but yanky tech I doubt if we have enough forests to pull that off, and perhaps we're better off overall if we use those forests for axemen (and health!) and bash cathy's head. But... that's how I play and that doesn't result in very high scores. Sublime insights are appreciated.
But for the moment I'd say writing.
I generally find that the oricle is easy enough to get even if you have to mostly do it without forests. It is 200 odd hammers for 600 odd beakers, and normally worth it.

RE. City placement (do we need another thread?) I like the city spot near the copper and cows (on the plains hill) but it only gets 1 forest. It would be nice to have our second city with enough forests to chop out (most of) another settler. There is a 2 cow + fish spot to the noth of the capital with 3 forests. It has a 2 tile overlap with the capital, but I would not worry about that.
Old 15-05-2006, 13:26   #69
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Just my thoughts on settling on the bottleneck. The numbers don't indicate preference, it is jsut left to right.

123.98 KB

First of all there is enough room for 2 cities imo, tile 4 being a very good location for a 3th or later city.

Tiles 1, 2 and 3 all block the choke point without Open Borders, protecting our land from settling and also give (almost) direct access to copper.

Tile 1 is interesting because it eliminates and otherwise useless desert and also is a transit point for ships. It also has least overlap with 4.

Tile 2 is interesting because it provides direct access to the copper and has one forest in the radius. A bit more overlap with 4.

Tile 3 is less interesting imo because it is further away from the cow and Cathy will cover it sooner than we can. It also has more overlap with 4 and overlap with a potential city SW of Thebes.

My 2 cents about settle locations.

The best near future options indeed are CS slingshot and Axerushing Cathy, I am not sure if we can do both at the same time. A plan could be to prepare the cap for CS slinhshot while the 2nd city starts building Axes and a settler.

Edit: crosspost with Samson

No doubt that location is a very good one, I am a bit worried to lose the copper!
Old 15-05-2006, 13:53   #70
Samson
Warlord

The obvious spot for a city seems to me to be the hill 1 north of the warior. Gets coast, fresh water, copper and a cow. Misses a fair few tiles between capital and that city and means we only get 1 in this space.

I think I like the idea of 2 cities in that corner, so 1 and 4 would be good spots. I am just worried that we will end upwaiting ages for our 3rd city if we put it away from any forests. A settler is 120 hammers on epic? So a size 1 city with a pasture cow takes 120 / 7 = 18 turns. If we were to put our second city by the 3 forest tiles we could get 90 hammers from forest so we are looking at about half that.

To loose the copper Cathy would have to put a city north of her pressent one, or that one must expand its borders twice.