Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 08-10-2007, 16:37   #51
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

The theory of evolution has been proven to have it's flaws.
WHAT theory? and what flaws?
Quote:
quote:It has been falsified, so it can't be true.
What 'it'? and how has that 'it' been falsified?
Quote:
quote:At least not 100%, because we do know that organisms tend to adapt (evolve) to new environments and hazards. But ID does not rule this out. It gives an alternative to what the theory of evolution cannot explain.
Tsk tsk, Matrix!

First of all, ID rules lots of things out, including much of evolution. E.g. adaptation to new environments, at least most of it.
Second, ID does NOT give a scientific alternative - 'Someone did it' is not a hypothesis, and not an explanation, but simply an argument from ignorance.

also, ID attempts to explain a lot that the ToE explains very well, thank you, and ID does a poor job of it.

Quote:
quote:It's not a scientific theory? There's a common rule in the science world: every theory is true until it has been proven wrong. So please, prove it wrong.
Now you mix hypothesis with theory. And ID has been shown wrong a billion times. Those parts that are not testable are neither hypothesis nor theory and fail the test a priori.

Quote:
quote:And don't come with the argument
"So you think an alien came down to engineer us? Puhlease!"
because then I say
"So you think our ancestors were monkeys? Puhlease!"
See, zero indication for aliens, lotsa indications for 'monkeys'. Either you accept that the most probable cause you can find is the right horse to bet on until you find a better one, or you can simply use whatever pleases you, ignoring all evidence. Science uses the former course, ID the latter.

Quote:
quote:Please understand: I am not an adherent of ID, but after reading sz_matyas' arguments I have more respect for their ideas (not those of creationists).
Read my relies to his ideas - he falsifies many things, and makes claims that the very people he alks about refute.
Quote:
quote: There's one thing I'll indulge you: as Karl Popper stated the more a theory rules out, the more powerful and useful it is. The theory of intelligent design doesn't rule out a lot, so in that sense it is easy to defend it and it is not very useful.
It rules NOTHING out, as it requires a'designer' that is omnipotent. So it is useless junk. And please call it at least a hypothesis, as calling it a theory gives it credit that you should see it lacks.
Old 08-10-2007, 16:42   #52
Matrix
Administrator

(crosspost, not a reply to above post)

Tubby Rower's attack on you is just, whether it's brought ironically or not. You wouldn't believe how many orthodox atheists I encounter as a college student in the Netherlands. They all think they own the monopoly on the truth, just like orthodox christians, orthodox muslims, whatever... And that is a dangerous fact.

Please remember that the prototype of all scientists, Albert Einstein, was in fact a christian until his death, even while dealing with everything from the atom to the universe.
Old 08-10-2007, 17:32   #53
Melifluous
Administrator

I Like Pie

It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 18:09   #54
Tubby Rower

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

yeah Killer showed up and proved that he knows more!!!
thank you for the personal attack - may I remind you that it was YOU who refused to inform himself, and at the same time still refused to accept the opinion of a few thousands of experts in the world?

If you have a problem with people having knowledge - potentially because it may be knowledge that contradicts your various comfy beliefs - then do not read, do not listen, do not ask. But please, do refrain from personal attacks as well.
I wasn't even in this, but when you generalize for example
Quote:
quote:Since almost all proponents who seriously attemopt to hinder science are US-Americans, and since 90% of the money behind it is US-American money.
Most of Americans don't hold to intelligent design.. actually most don't really care. So to call this an American creed is false and you know it.
Old 08-10-2007, 18:14   #55
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

I Like Pie

Ye, do something, mad admin, ban them for time or for life, or they'll tear the place apart.

Another one is not even showing himself up here. Scared?
Old 08-10-2007, 18:24   #56
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

Ye, do something, mad admin, ban them for time or for life, or they'll tear the place apart.
Hey we don't ban people here for having an opinion about religion (or magic as I like to call it), what do you think this is? Communist Russia?

Old 08-10-2007, 18:28   #57
Melifluous
Administrator

However i might just ban Killer for being an arrogant West German prick who has his head stuck up his arse.

(now that was a personal attack Herr Killer, I just hope you don't take me seriously)

Old 08-10-2007, 18:55   #58
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

(or magic as I like to call it)
Old 08-10-2007, 19:07   #59
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

(crosspost, not a reply to above post)

Tubby Rower's attack on you is just, whether it's brought ironically or not. You wouldn't believe how many orthodox atheists I encounter as a college student in the Netherlands. They all think they own the monopoly on the truth, just like orthodox christians, orthodox muslims, whatever... And that is a dangerous fact.

Please remember that the prototype of all scientists, Albert Einstein, was in fact a christian until his death, even while dealing with everything from the atom to the universe.
oh thank you - Sippenhaft!

Let's see, your catholic, so the inquisition is your fault!
Does that sound reasonable? Not to me, but it follows your logic!
Old 08-10-2007, 19:10   #60
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Quote:

yeah Killer showed up and proved that he knows more!!!
thank you for the personal attack - may I remind you that it was YOU who refused to inform himself, and at the same time still refused to accept the opinion of a few thousands of experts in the world?

If you have a problem with people having knowledge - potentially because it may be knowledge that contradicts your various comfy beliefs - then do not read, do not listen, do not ask. But please, do refrain from personal attacks as well.
I wasn't even in this, but when you generalize for example
Quote:
quote:Since almost all proponents who seriously attemopt to hinder science are US-Americans, and since 90% of the money behind it is US-American money.
Most of Americans don't hold to intelligent design.. actually most don't really care. So to call this an American creed is false and you know it.
erh, most Americans do not live in Texas, but it still is a US state!
Why should most Americans adhere to ID to make it an American thingy? it is the other way round - most ID proponents are Americans, and that makes it an American thing.

Btw, the majority of Americans is actually adhering to creationism of some kind, thank you.