Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

Old 14-11-2010, 13:57   #51
Shabbaman
Administrator

I think smaller maps are more difficult, because there are less city states, so you'd have to put more effort in acquiring resources. And there are obviously less maritime civs, so it's harder to grow as well. You still need the same number of units for an invasion (3), so larger maps are less challenging. Then again, because it's so tedious, it's a lot harder to get the achievement for winning a huge map.
Old 14-11-2010, 16:13   #52
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I seriously doubt if I'll ever bother to get the huge map achievement. If so, then I;m gonna play pangea on settler difficulty just for the sake of being able to pull off a quick domination win.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 16:38   #53
Furiey
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
I seriously doubt if I'll ever bother to get the huge map achievement. If so, then I;m gonna play pangea on settler difficulty just for the sake of being able to pull off a quick domination win.
Yes, I think I should have gone for Pangea. I went for continents for my huge map attempt, but I've not played much so maybe I should just restart when I next get time to play.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:50   #54
Shabbaman
Administrator

Some resources appear on certain terrain more often. Iron on marsh, for instance. If I clear the marsh, would that affect the resource appearing on that tile, or are all resources seeded when the map is generated?
Old 09-01-2011, 22:12   #55
col
King

I think all the resources are placed at the start. It explains some of the AI city sites .

I'm rapidly reaching the point where I just dont feel like playing CiV again. The game is just boring - which is the ultimate crime.
Old 10-01-2011, 14:55   #56
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
I think all the resources are placed at the start. It explains some of the AI city sites .
Blegh. That reminds me of some old version of civ. It might also explain why the AI is settling from across the globe (on a large map!) on a 1 tile island between my large and medium islands. Sloppy programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
I'm rapidly reaching the point where I just dont feel like playing CiV again. The game is just boring - which is the ultimate crime.
I like the game more after the last big patch. AI diplo seems to make more sense. Any way I look at it I find the game more enjoyable than civ4, but not as good as civ2. It's just a bit too easy (even besides combat, which is obviously retarded). Civ4 never struck me as complicated, it just had additional layers of depth with religion and espionage. Beyond that it never struck a chord with me.
Old 10-01-2011, 15:32   #57
Furiey
King

I too feel that they've gone back to the old Civ 3 problem where the AI knows where the resources are in advance. Why else would it trek around the globe to 2 tiles of snow completely surrounded by my boarders, only to find out much later in the game that one of those 2 tiles contained oil, what would otherwise have been the only source in my territory.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 22:34   #58
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I like the game more after the last big patch. AI diplo seems to make more sense. Any way I look at it I find the game more enjoyable than civ4, but not as good as civ2. It's just a bit too easy (even besides combat, which is obviously retarded). Civ4 never struck me as complicated, it just had additional layers of depth with religion and espionage. Beyond that it never struck a chord with me.
So, AI still sucks big time at combat?

That really kills the game, doesn't it?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 09:31   #59
Shabbaman
Administrator

I couldn't say, I've been through a deity game without combat. Combat is basically tweaking preferences, nothing that a lot of betatesting can't fix. 1 upt is different though, that just doesn't work so good with a lot of units. I must admit I prefer 1 upt over huge stack of dooms though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiey View Post
I too feel that they've gone back to the old Civ 3 problem where the AI knows where the resources are in advance.
It turned out that that one tile island (with 1 fish) turned out to be exactly that: a one tile island. The AI strategy on deity seems to consist of settler diarrhea, I even found a settler from a civ that had just entered the future age.
Old 20-01-2013, 20:17   #60
BCLG100
Deity

With policys, when you get a new one and fill up a branch, if you then start on another branch do you retain the benefits of the first one or does it disappear?

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote