Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Colonization 2
Home

Old 22-09-2008, 17:10   #51
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

There's a nice review on Eurogamer. Usually Eurogamer is reasonably neutral (compared to the likes of IGN/gamespy), and they seem very positive. It looks like Firaxis has put the civ4 combat system into col2. Not a bad thing, considering that the original combat system is like that of civ1...

Two things that are bothering me:

- no mention of the improved AI/diplomacy; so that was a useless marketing claim?
-what's Oshemonpa (the top city) building?

It says "expert silver miner". I hope that it's an indian village training one of your colonists, and not that it's a colony building an expert. That'd be very much against the idea of colonization...
I don't have anything to add about the AI/diplomacy issue, but I think the 'build' in Oshemompa is just training a colonist by the natives. Ijn contrast to the original game, where teaching by the natives was instantaneous, other previews of the new game have hinted at this. Apparently the teaching of skills by natives takes a certain amount of time in the new game.
Old 22-09-2008, 21:28   #52
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I;m really looking forward to this game

After the slight disappointment Spore was I;m ready to be amazed
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 23:43   #53
mauer
King

that water looks amazing
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 03:37   #54
grahamiam
Emperor

Now available on Steam
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 09:08   #55
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Now available on Steam
Great! Steam is the best method of copy protection, and the best "deodorant" (and with the cheap dollar also the cheapest store!), so I'd support it. I was checking upcoming releases some time ago, but col2 wasn't mentioned. When I follow the link I'm redirected to the main store page. Bummer. Did you download it yet? I assume the page is not available for me yet, because the game hasn't been released here. Preloading would be nice though...
Old 24-09-2008, 09:37   #56
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quite an enthusiastic review from eurogamer.net. Dunno how objective they normally rate, I've never gone there before , but I trust Shabba's judgement on them

Have been playing some col for windows during forum upgrade wait times these past week and I'm getting more and more excited about this release. Even if they pnly just fixed some annoyances in the GUI and dusted of the graphs it should be a blast.

Reading the eurogamer review it seems Firaxis was carefull to stay very close to the original so that's a good omen imho.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 10:04   #57
Shabbaman
Administrator

Kotaku (very critical and objective) is very negative in their review. This part is especially of interest:

Quote:
quote:Cold As Ice – The original was full of charm, the result of a passion for the history of the period and countless little touches. Your Continental Congress, for example, was represented as a literal congress, members seated within. The European management screen was literally a ship at the docks, your immigrants lined up on the jetty. This version has nothing but bland menu screens. It’s cold and lifeless, with these constantly-used menu screens looking more like a 1995 CD-ROM copy of Encyclopaedia Britannica.
He goes on about it in his conclusion. Well, I can live with bland graphics. I could live with good old Colonization if they made pitboss for it...

Old 24-09-2008, 17:42   #58
grahamiam
Emperor

I did not buy it last night, though was extremely tempted.

Instead, I continued on with my X-Com game (also recently downloaded from Steam). The aliens had launched a terror mission in Kuala Lumpur and I had to counter it. Touching down, I was immediately under fire from a Sectoid. My battle tank took him down, only to find another Sectoid and 2 Cyberdiscs. I immediately disembarked 5 solders, unloading everything they had but was unable to take any of them down. Next turn, the Sectoids launched a mind control attack, taking over a veteran heavy trooper, who proceded to launch a rocket inside the troop transport, immediately killing 4 operatives. A Sectoid grenade and Cyberdisc plasma fire took down 4 more, leaving me with 2 solders and a tank within the first two turns I fought on for 8 more turns, taking down 5 sectoids and 3 cyberdiscs with the tank alone since the 2 remaining rookie solders had panicked and were getting pounded by mind control attacks. Once my tank ran out of ammo, I had to retreat, leaving the remaining 2 freaked out solders behind. Nasty mission, but it's why I always loved this game
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 18:19   #59
barbu1977
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

I did not buy it last night, though was extremely tempted.

Instead, I continued on with my X-Com game (also recently downloaded from Steam). The aliens had launched a terror mission in Kuala Lumpur and I had to counter it. Touching down, I was immediately under fire from a Sectoid. My battle tank took him down, only to find another Sectoid and 2 Cyberdiscs. I immediately disembarked 5 solders, unloading everything they had but was unable to take any of them down. Next turn, the Sectoids launched a mind control attack, taking over a veteran heavy trooper, who proceded to launch a rocket inside the troop transport, immediately killing 4 operatives. A Sectoid grenade and Cyberdisc plasma fire took down 4 more, leaving me with 2 solders and a tank within the first two turns I fought on for 8 more turns, taking down 5 sectoids and 3 cyberdiscs with the tank alone since the 2 remaining rookie solders had panicked and were getting pounded by mind control attacks. Once my tank ran out of ammo, I had to retreat, leaving the remaining 2 freaked out solders behind. Nasty mission, but it's why I always loved this game
Wow, Xcom is out! My version was copied on a burned CD and crashed a bit too often to be real fun. I'll buy this one soon.

Old 25-09-2008, 22:20   #60
mauer
King

Got Colonization in the mail today. Installing as we speak, and may be able to squeeze some time in tonight and tomorrow night. Pondering a "spoiler" for my first game to show you all how extremely retarded I will be in this game.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote