Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > grahamiam's forum
Home

Old 15-03-2006, 10:16   #51
Rik Meleet

Be realistic: The glass is not half filled, nor half emptied; There's 50% to much glass for your drink !
Old 15-03-2006, 15:54   #52
Tubby Rower

Quote:
quote:I am still not sure if i should go for republic or monarchy. Republic might get problematic if your opponent simply never gives you peace. What is the standard in PBEM ?
In PBEM's where you are only against 1 player, peace is almost never re-instated. So I would steer clear of republic unless you can prevent WW (or coutner-act it's effects) for a while. Once WW hits you'll be stuck with it the rest of the gmae most likely
Old 15-03-2006, 16:58   #53
barbu1977
Emperor

In most games that will last to the end of the MA (Players far away), players normaly choose Rep. The cases that increase WW are not seen often (city razedor unit in teritory).
Old 20-03-2006, 23:59   #54
Offa

Greetings Wacken, this sounds like a great game in the making, and I look forward to following your progress.

I have absolutely no experience of PBEM and am amazed that anyone can finish these games. Your start sounds good though. I can't believe you will have been set up with a map where something horrid will happen in the very early game so playing more or less like a single player game sounds OK. It does seem that with the help of deity AI, if you can get to philo first you can drop the other human player into a very deep tech hole, and possibly a very unpleasant war to boot. From that point of view it might be best if neither of you get it.

Offa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 01:35   #55
WackenOpenAir

Turn 53:

I have met goz' scouting warrior a few turn ago, and he has writing and bronze working, but nothing else besides his starting techs.
The scouting warrior is to be expected in my area shortly after turn 60. I will have some warriors ready to take care of him.

I just researched Philosophy and got it first. I took Literature for free tech because goz might be researching it and the other techs will be for trade anyway. I sold Philo to all AI and got all their techs and gold. On Literature i still have a monopoly, i hope some AI gets me COL to trade for it soon.

The AI are going very fast. Horses are underneath Huamanga. I wanted to settle that city 1 tile more NW, but there was an AI settler already. I was just in time to grab those horses.

5 more settlers are needed. I started a barracks because my borders are meeting AI and i might soon need some kind of an army in order to be safe.

I have just settled 3 towns in short time (picture is turn 50, towns from 48&49) and now am #7 in territory and population, so it seems i have passed gozpel.

75.51*KB
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 02:37   #56
WackenOpenAir

I offered Gozpel free techs since philosophy is a big game breaker, but Goz is an honorable man and he does not take freebies. He bought MM for GPT and traded his techs. I now trade MM from Goz for some techs he still lacks.
Old 22-03-2006, 01:37   #57
WackenOpenAir

turn 63:

China demands Literature from me. To bad i have to give up my monopoly like this. I am researching Currency now ETA 12 turns.

I have to make the best of it now. I sell Literature to everyone, i get about 200 total gold and pay 75+4pt for CoL. I then declare on Goz and use CoL to bribe Goz' neighbour into an alliance against him.
I am hoping Goz does not have the cash for an embasy and bribing a civ.

My empire now has 10 cities and is just about boxed in. My capital produces the last 2 settlers, my rank3 city started SoZ, other cities are producing barracks and workers. One barracks is ready and just produced its first Vet warrior.

Construction is around with the AI, but i was not able to get it. I had hoped to use Literature for that after the AI spread construction amongst eachother, but that failed now.
Old 24-03-2006, 03:54   #58
WackenOpenAir

Turn 73 now.
My situation looks pretty good i think.

This turn, I have succeeded getting Currency first, i traded it construction and a bunch of gold, including some gpt from the AI. I, and all the AI are in middle ages. I do not have a government yet, and i start researching Monotheism.
The AI will almost certainly research feudalism, so there is a chance (although with all 6 AI in middle ages, it ain't big) that i get it first as well. Even if not, the tech trading frenzy between the AI's usually cools down by this time, so i might still be able to trade some even if i'm not first. Republic will be for trade someday, so i am not gonna invest in researching it now.

Gozpel is in not so good shape. He lacks Polytheism, Code of Laws, Literature, Currency and Construction.
My ally, France has teamed up with Japan against Goz. My scouting warrior followed the first french attacker towards Gozpel. Goz' Horsemen killed the first french warrior in the mountains and then killed my warrior in the mountains, so he can't complain about rng so far

I also met 2 of Goz' scouting warriors in my area, 1 was easilly dispatched as i had my warriors scouting outside my empire so i could prepare for him. The other unfortunately took a worker from me and forced me tot pop rush a horse for taking it down. This was because i didn't see it comming, and the worker who just finished its job couldn't move.

10 turns ago, Goz was military weak against me. During those 10 turns, i did build some horses and more veteran warriors, and now he is average. So goz is clearly focussing on military.
He is in a rather grim situation with tech deficit and 2 War's going on, so i expect him to focus completely on military, possibly hoping to force his neighbours to peace and maybe a free tech or 2 for him and then getting ROP's to send his army my way. At least, that is what i would do in his situation. I am not fearing him at all though. I am boxed in with 13 towns, so i also have to go military now anyway. I will just have to keep in mind that he might be comming before i send my units off to attack the AI.

I have 3 cities with barracks completed building horses now, 1 city building SoZ, and 2 more cities building Barracks. Those are the core cities. The perimeter cities are building mostly workers.

I'll add another picture. The picture is just after goz' warrior took my worker and before i destroyed the warrior. See the red circle.
The red arrows show the path of the other warrior to the place where i killed it.
With bleu circles, i highlighted the reasons why China will be attacked as soon as i have the power to do so. The cultural influence threathening my cities is of course another very important reason.
Unfortunately, China is the strongest AI by far.

Some galleys must now be build to scout around the map and i will station them somewhere to see if Gozpel is gonna do any backstabbing attacks on me.

140.83*KB
Old 06-04-2006, 13:42   #59
WackenOpenAir

Turn 79,

Gozpel is still at war with Japan, he tells me it's a struggle.
Let's hope he aint lying

The AI has all AA techs, including the governments. Gozpel is still in a decent tech hole. I am researching Monotheism, but its slow, 25 turns to go on it.

China is my biggest worry now. They are culturally threathening me.
I always like to attack any cultural thread, but China is a monster so that won't be so simple.

The AI are strong this game, it feels more like Sid than deity actually. I expect the AI to have feudalism in a dozen or so turns. China with pikes are a real problem to attack. I might have to wait for Chivalry before i can break out. That will be 40-50 turns from now.

In a single player game, i might even think about building culture an living peace until that time. Now however, I expect not to have the choise to decide my time for war. Gozpel is probably smart enough to buy the Chinese against me when he can.

So i have to prepare for war now, as it could start any moment.
I strongly hope to get a little window of opportunity to attack at least 2 or 3 offending chinese towns before they get pikes to lift the cultural pressure from my borders. A war is also important to secure those gems in the mountains and if i am very succesfull, to capture one or 2 of the Chinese luxuries, but i am not counting on that for the coming 50 turns.

This need to bulid horsemen unfortunately disables me building the FP for now. I am also not sure if SoZ was a good choise because i need the units earlier. I am not planning to build any culture in my border cities since it is no guarantee against flipping and i will need to fight the Chinese someday anyway.

The last 5 workers are being produced for a total of 17. (they are industrious) After that, i will have a granary the cow cities for further worker production later in the game as well as settlers for razing and replacing.

I am military strong to Gozpel, but he is still outpopulating me.

201.42KB
Old 06-04-2006, 14:25   #60
Tubby Rower

could you switch the SoZ to another build? What other wonders are left? Why not switch it to the FP and lower corruption?