Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Dr Alimentado's forum
Home

Old 03-09-2003, 19:04   #41
DrAlimentado

Plux - the point is that I had been at peace with everyone for 30 turns, so the remembered WW should have expired.
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 19:20   #42
DrAlimentado

sky, you are welcome to investigate! I don't have the admin pw but it is probably buried in the original map thread (the request is in the first ever post in map-making i think)

let me know when you want the save.
Old 03-09-2003, 19:42   #43
Skyfish

I'd actually need the save from before anarres started this offensive AS WELL (turn 24Ob ?)
Tonight is good but I wont have the results in a while...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17   #44
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

the border change put a lot of troops into enemy lands - WW increase???????
Old 04-09-2003, 16:00   #45
DrAlimentado

the border change shouldn't take effect until the next turn, I think the WW just comes from the amount of infantry I lost and being bombarded.

Because I was somewhat 'flustered' by the turn I neglected to revolt, with some luck the troops being in enemy territory will now push me over the next WW level in the next turn and my government will fall.

Sky - we need a proper investigation into WW in pbem, it looks to me as though I am simply suffering WW as it would be in a regular game - this dosen't quite jive with anecdotal evidence of pbem-ers that WW is much reduced but it also dosen't look like a bug as such.

I have outlined the case for an investigation into WW in this WW thread - I suggest we direct our efforts there. We can use the turns of this game if needed but lets wait till this game is actually finished first A controlled test would be more useful anyway imo (and not exclude anarres, who's opinions are after all of some value!)
Old 11-09-2003, 16:06   #46
DrAlimentado

242:

Anarres has ousted my spy, I replant immediately

weigh up the options and decide to pull back my stack in the north (that are now in mongol territory due to border collapsing when I abandoned seville)
I bombard and pillage the road and rails off the tile to prevent anarres pouring through the mountains. I now have to defend 3 tiles instead of 1 but I still haven't competed batlefield medicine, besides, having my arty and tanks sitting in his land is too restricting as I can't move and fire in the same turn.

declare revoloution at end of turn... I will lose a turn of production but I will fall soon if I stay in democracy. Go off to find and thouroughly analyze WW and corruption articles to decide what government to switch to next turn...

243:

anarres battle report:

Quote:
quote:

244(sic) - Shell Madrid with 26 Arty:

5 x 1HP
1 x 2HP
3 citizens killed
destroy walls
16 misses

Shell Badajoz with 21 Arty:

3 x 1HP
3 x 2HP
6 citizens killed
destroy walls
8 misses

Send in the tanks to Madrid:

2 die
1 retreat
9 Infs killed

Wow, less defence than I thought! I decide to raze it.

I take the 2 lone arty with a Cav. I take 1HP from the lone (top left) Inf on the mountain.

I decide to shell Badajoz some more (9 shots)

1 x 1HP
1 x 2HP
1 citizens killed
6 misses

Send in 4 tank armies to Badajoz, killing 4 Vet Infs.

Send in single tanks, 9 Infs killed, no retreats or losses. This time I take the city before abandoning it:

Finally I move in Inf to consolidate.

After much analysis I decide to go communist - no doubt some of you think me mad but I think it is the right decision. I lose productivity in my core but the actual effect is that I go from producing a tank a turn in about 6 cities to a unit every 2, about 4 or 5 cities stay at a unit per 2. Some outlying cities go from a unit every 2 to every 3. However... I lose all WW, and the net effect is that I actually gain some gpt (from lowering lux rate). I can also stop worrying about WW at all - I was at 50% unhappy (and this with UniSuffrage AND police stations), another turn of having 40+ infantry attacked (not killed... just attacked) and/or bombarded, cities attacked etc. would have toppled me in democracy, and sent me into max unhappiness in republik. I also gain productivity in all my shitty cities, they are now producing shields and commerce on a limited scale. Oh, and as an added bonus my spies are now l33t muthafuckin ninja spies Although long term communism is crap i think it will serve me well for the duration of our total war.

here's how it looks at the beginning of my turn:

As you can see I got problems...

Anarres has ousted my spy again , I immediately replant again hopefully my vet spy status will frustrate any more counter-spying attempts

battle report for 243:

Use a tank to kill the lone enemy tank on the rubble of madrid,
the same tank kills the lone cav 1 tile NE (on mountain).

Arty bombard on the stack next to where madrid was:

26 1 hp
11 2 hp
5 misses

Tanks attack the same stack:

43 infantry kills*
8 tank kills *
- *some tank kills accidently recorded as infantry kills I think... sorry!

5 of my tanks retreat
2 of my tanks die

stack destroyed!

Attack the tank and cav on the ruins of Badajoz: 1st attacking tank dies, 2nd tank finishes off tank then kills cav too.

Attack the small stack of infantry and workers on the mountain on our northern border:

9 vet inf + 1 conscript killed.
for
1 retreat
2 losses

capture the 19 workers

use cavalry to pillage some road/rails/forts nr to the multi-army stack.

found madrid in same place as before, found badajoz to the north to consolidate some neutral tiles.

Here are the pics, the frontline at the end of my turn:

I have isolated the army stack somewhat. It can still reach me but would have to leave its infantry behind.

The F3 screen:

I am afraid of his armies....

This game could easily go either way I reckon. Theoretically I am in a stronger position in empire-size and troop-size, but he has a very slight edge in the terrain at our borders now, and unfortunately I am still making stupid mistakes - like razing seville too late and leaving my troops stranded etc. So I would say he could still outplay me... bastard!!
Old 11-09-2003, 16:18   #47
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

wow, this one is a cliffhanger!
Old 11-09-2003, 16:38   #48
digger760
King

good luck DrA
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 17:20   #49
Skyfish

Good move going to Commie... its got a bad rep but could be used more in specific situations (like yours now)

Good luck with the rest : I would beeline for Modern Armours ...
Old 10-10-2003, 19:31   #50
DrAlimentado

244: battle report;

bombard mountain in N

17 arty

7 misses
vet inf:
2 2hp
2 1hp
inf army:
1 2hp
5 1hp

245: battle report

42 arty bombard stack S of baraan-urt

8 misses
11 2hp
23 1hp

I also bombard some rails off tiles around Tosontengel and advance up to the border on the middle mountain range. Now I will be able to bombard Tosontengel next turn - if he wants to attack my stack on the mount he will have to leave his attackers on grassland.

246:

research flight I check and anarres dosen't have it yet I was going to trade it to the chinese but they won't give amphibious for it if anarres wasn't at war with them I would just trade it for their paltrey 150gold but as he is I will wait and see if they give me a better offer. (to stop him from giving/trading them flight and improving his rep/getting amphib)

after much agonising I set research to mech Inf. Even if anarres ignores fission and goes straight for modern tanks it will be a while, hopefully he will ignore mech inf as unessential, then I can use mech Inf and tank stacks to do him some serious damage!

bombad rails off tiles around Tosontengel.

49 arty bombard Tosontengel itself:

damage to infantry armies:
1 hp: 2
2hp: 4

miss: 24
pop killed: 10
buildings detsroyed:
police station
civil defense
courthouse
granary
market place
library
factory
bank
university

I then launch an attack on the celts, I take 2 cities straight away (they have a 3/4 infantry each), I move a stack of tanks next to oxford ready to take it next turn.

With the celts destroyed there will be 5 civs left, or 4 if dan finishes off the french (they have a single city left). I'm still juggling the possibilities of a UN vote in my head... I had thought the chance of anarres winning a UN vote as nil as he told me his rep is shot from screwing the chinese for a 800gpt deal (and he is now at war with them.) but I have been informed that it's all too easy to bribe them with modern techs. He has a leader to rush UN with but hasn't got flight yet, in 9 turns I can get MA's and MPP's on my turn when our treaty expires which should prevent him winning a vote for a further 6 turns. My guesstimates on research time based on the speed of his research recently and the tech calc would suggest about 9 turns to fission for him... hmm... I can always take out the english to further reduce the nos of civs. And I can likely take out the chinese as well before a vote if need be.

247:

Dan has gifted the celts a city the little fucker!!!

battle report:

26 arty bombard infantry 1 tile S of B-Urt

16x 1hp
4x 2hp
4 misses

all inf now at 1 hp
bombard rails and roads off tile

16 arty bombard tosontengel

3x 1hp
1x 2hp
10 misses
2 pop reduction