Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 12-12-2003, 23:21   #41
Skyfish

The forest is used to get the settler out in 4 turns, since we are using it I thought we could use the extra commerce.
Of course we could chop it down but that would disturb the well oiled settler sequence, I thought it was more important at the early start to get the settlers out ASAP...
Old 13-12-2003, 00:02   #42
anarres
anarchist butcher

ahh, nm. I personally wouldn't bother roading it when we could be chopping spare forrest tiles to rush a granary, but I'm not sure what would pay off quicker.
Old 13-12-2003, 00:11   #43
Skyfish

A granary ? But we already have one !
How can you be sure the chop will go to the Hague rather than Amsterdam ?
Old 13-12-2003, 00:17   #44
anarres
anarchist butcher

Umm, I'm not chopping that forest tile you were roading, I am chopping other forest tiles at The Hague. Both Amsterdam and The Hague will still have access to a forest tile, but the Hague can get the forest.

BTW - to get the shields going to a certain city you set the other cities around it to wonders and it will put the shields in to a different city.
Old 13-12-2003, 01:48   #45
anarres
anarchist butcher

Pre-turn (2150BC): Looking good.

01 (2110BC) - Just some MM so Amsterdam grows and build setter next turn.

02 (2070BC) - Build settler in Amsterdam and set to worker. Build worker in The Hague and set to Granary. There are lots of forests around The Hague and it is well worth chopping in C3C at only 4 turns. Set lux to 0%. I'm not gonna write it but I am doing full MM every turn, I think this is an absolute must on Sid.

Babylon and the Vikings both have Writing now and we could buy it for 400 gold and 10 gpt, but the other civs we know are all poor. At least we get it 'for free' in 8 turns.

03 (2030BC) - Set lux back to 10%. I have sent a warrior back north to grab a hut before Rome, I get barbs...

72.62 KB

(AI) One barb attacks our warrior and pushes it to 1HP. True to the new AI barb routine the 2 remaining barbs fortify instead of attacking.

04 (1990BC) - Build worker in Amsterdam -&gt; warrior. Build worker in Rotterdam -&gt; worker. The idea of the warrior at Amsterdam is to allow it to grow bigger (since at size 3 it isn't enough shields to maintaina a 4 turn settler factory).

I check the governor for Amsterdam and set all governers to empasise production, and set as default for all new cities. This means the governor will select tiles with shields when the city grows (usually you can gain 2 shields every growth turn witha forest tile). The setting "make default for new cities" on the governer screen sets the option in ptw.ini so you will all need to go in and set it on your machines or not all new cities will have it. Note that this is the only useful governer setting, since it only affects placement of citizens on the growth turn, when the only thing that matters for the new tile is the shield count.

Greece has Maths, but it is well out of our price range at Monopoly prices.

05 (1950BC) - Found Groningen, set to worker.

92.64*KB

06 (1910BC) - Amsterdam builds warrior -&gt; settler. Utrecht builds warrior -&gt; worker.

A wandering warrior sees a hut but I'm going to leave it in case I get barbs and they kill our scouting warrior.

16.86*KB

07 (1870BC) - 20 shields from chopping goes to the granary at The Hague. I set a citizen to tax at Rotterdam rather than raise the lux by 4 commerce.

08 (1830BC) - Now I turn up the lux to 20% as a couple more cities just grew and I am only 'wasting' one happy face. Amsterdam will need a 20% lux rate every 2 turns out of 4 (when it is size 5). Set back the taxman at Rotterdam.

I found India's cities:

18.03 KB

(AI) Chinese build Pyramids.

09 (1790BC) - Rotterdam builds worker -&gt; worker.

India has a worker for sale and we get Writing next turn so I buy it now for 114 gold.

10 (1750BC) - Research Writing, nomially set to Map Making @ min (expensive tech), but the next person can decide what to research.

Amsterdam builds settler -&gt; worker. Utrecht builds worker -&gt; warrior. Lux goes back to 10%.

The Vikings complete the Great Lighthouse. Grr - that sucks, they will be uber-powerful now...

Summary

I was just about to get 130 gold from India, but if we wanted we could buy Maths from the Greeks for Writing + 315 gold. I have left it with no trades completed just in case the next person wants to buy Maths. We could buy Maths and go min on Currency, but I am certain we wouldn't get a monopoly on it so Map Making may do just as well. Just remember to get the money back from India!

The workers near Groningen should chop the forest before roading imo, and The Hague completes Granary this turn. There are some workers at The Hague I have left this turn, since where they go depends on what the next person decides to do the next few moves. The worker at Utrecht that completes road next turn can help irrigate (the turns work out nicely )

Remember that Amsterdam is now a fully working 4 turn settler/2 turn worker factory. At the moment it is building a worker since we need more shields and the other tiles are being used by the surrounding cities.

Also remember to set the tech to research, Map Making is only a suggestion. Since we have Horsemen and Iron Working we don't beed to worry too much - it is likely the earliest we can leave the Ancient Era is in 50 turns when we next get a free tech.

A settler is on the way to the final city location we decided on - we will need new city spots soon and I think we can double up a couple of city ranks (since the patch is next week, and even if it doesn't fix RCP a couple of doubled cities won't kill us).

5.08*KB

121.13*KB

Download Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img]SidSG.1750BC.zip
162.12*KB
Old 13-12-2003, 08:49   #46
Skyfish

Great job getting that 2nd granary up and almost running !
I vote we go for Currency as waiting 50 turns for MapMaking is waaay too long, with the amount of gold we have and the fact we are following the tech pace so easily, we will certainly be able to find a 2fer for MapMaking.
Old 13-12-2003, 13:43   #47
anarres
anarchist butcher

One thing: we desperately need a couple more carracks to find the remaining civs!! I really wanted to get one from Rotterdam but the growth was just too much and we also desperately needed workers.
Old 13-12-2003, 13:55   #48
Kingreno

I am at work now so I can take it this evening at home.
I agree on the currency Skyfish, and I'll also "desperately" build some workers and boats Anarres.
Old 13-12-2003, 14:09   #49
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Go for currency and workers are always ok.

On the forest chopping: when you chop a forest that can be used by more than 1 city I think rules on division are as follows

- if it's worked by a city that city gets the production
- if not it's assigned to a city randomly. I think (but not sure) cities that build wonders are excluded in this step.

I'm pretty sure if you work the copped tile with a wonder building city, your shields go to waste as the first rule prevails.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2003, 14:33   #50
anarres
anarchist butcher

PP, I thought chopped forests were different:

1) Shields go to the nearest city, with numbers rounded (so 1.5 away = 1 away and 2.5 away = 2 away).
2) In the case of a tie it goes to the 'earliest' city (i.e. first in database).
3) If a city is building a wonder the shields will go to a different city if possible.

Number 3) is certianly true - you can share a forrest tile between 3 cities and decide which one it goes to if you have 2 wonders you can switch 2 of the cities to.