Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 30-03-2009, 22:47   #31
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I'm hoping for AZ to get the title when they play Ajax away. I've never had anything against AZ. Quite some fans of other clubs (mainly PSV and Ajax, somehow...) feel they have bought their success, but it's not as if other clubs don't buy their success. Surely it seems that Scheringa (note for foreigners: the club's president, owner of a bank that's still making a profit these days) invests a lot of money in the club, but besides some moronic transfers (Pelle...) last season the money doesn't go into transfers. It might go into salaries, but that's difficult to check. But AZ does buy the best players on the dutch market, or better put: they buy players that appear to be mediocre and let them excel.
It's simple fact that AZ's annual budget is far below PSV's or Ajax'.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 23:06   #32
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, that's their budget on paper. Some say (and you know that when "some" speak they never mean it well) that there might be some hidden bonuses from outside the club. Like, free mortgages, dunno. But there's too many might and maybe in this story for me. And besides, the same goes for other clubs.

So, yes, AZ has less money than other clubs, that means that those other clubs suck even more. Pity.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38   #33
Shabbaman
Administrator

I have to admit that I'm impressed by the national team. At first I thought their performance at the EC was a fluke, inspired play because of their impressive opponents. The team is far from playing that good, but at least they play like a team. In the past I've fuliminated about the national team, but hey, they beat easy opponents without much effort. It has been worse.

The defense still sucks though.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41   #34
Matrix
Administrator

The defense sucks compared to the offense, but we currently have a killer-offense. I think the defense is adequate, but does need improvement before the WC.

Indeed, they only need half their effort to still win easily. The reason they suddenly performed so well against Italy and France is IMO the fact that Marco van Basten finally let the team play with a system that fitted the players most naturally, instead of these forced ideas of his.

With every championship (European or World), more than half the Dutchmen think we will become champion, which is just plain silly. But now I think the Netherlands might just have the highest chance since the seventies. Please tell me, what team is stronger? Only England perhaps. I would've said Argentina if they didn't have Maradona as coach and lost 6-1 to Bolivia...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:38   #35
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
The reason they suddenly performed so well against Italy and France is IMO the fact that Marco van Basten finally let the team play with a system that fitted the players most naturally, instead of these forced ideas of his.
I totally agree.

BTW, have you ever tried to actually DO something at high altitude? That's pretty tough.

Are there better teams? What did Greece prove? There are team with better players for sure, but that doesn't matter: teamplay matters. There are about ten countries that can win the WC for sure, but there are so many factors that influence actual performance... for once Holland already tackled the main issue (well, it's always the main issue for us because we always play stupid systems) with the 4-2-3-1 lineup (although it's not that different from 4-3-3 if you ask me, oh well). But eventually Oranje will fail mentally.
Old 19-04-2009, 18:48   #36
Shabbaman
Administrator

I have to say that this was the most amusing way for AZ to get the title. Oh, the high hopes all those Ajax-fans must have had...
Old 19-04-2009, 20:00   #37
Matrix
Administrator

A just way as well. Those Alkmaarders are way too arrogant. They haven't learned from their deception of two years ago, and will probably never learn.

But I'm glad that we have a different winner than Ajax or PSV (or Feyenoord) for once!
Old 19-04-2009, 21:01   #38
Kingreno

I was in the stadium, and beating Ajax 6-2 almost fixes this season completely.

Rappe-de-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa Pannekoek...
Old 19-04-2009, 22:16   #39
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
A just way as well. Those Alkmaarders are way too arrogant.
I think you project arrogance on them. It might have something to do with the smug face on Van Gaal.
Old 19-04-2009, 23:44   #40
Matrix
Administrator

The tattoo "AZ kampioen 2006-2007" is one example. The way the supporters react when there's a goal is more typical: when AZ scores, that was as expected. But when the other scores, they're totally surprised! Furthermore, my brother (Nitro) lived there for a short while and he too said that they can talk very belittling about other people. That happens to be my personal experience too with a coincidental encounter once. (But that's just once.)

Really, they're worse than people from Amsterdam.