Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Aggie's forum
Home

Old 07-08-2003, 14:47   #31
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 219:

OPD and me are in a race to the stars that may take quite a few turns still. We are exactly level in tech with both of us having steam power and medicine. The question now is: who will be first to build TeO. That may make all the difference. Up to now I think that OPD has the upperhand. We both haven't researched music theory, so Bach isn't around. Meaning that war still isn't an option. So far it was more important to keep up in science. Music Theory seems like a bypass that we both can't afford.

However, I'm thinking of the possibility to build up a lot of cavalry (100+) and a surpise build of Bach to finish it quickly. I spied on a couple of OPD's cities and he only has the border towns heavily defended. Core cities have no defense at all! He would have a nasty surprise when I attack his core and conquer a couple of cities there.

But then I have to give up the race towards TeO. Trying to get Teo may blind OPD so much that he is getting unaware of the fact that a military option is also possible.
Old 07-08-2003, 15:24   #32
anarres
anarchist butcher

Hmm, does this mean neither of you have infantry yet? Can you mobilise and hit quick, or will you need ages to build an army (by which time he may have infantry)?
Old 07-08-2003, 15:44   #33
Aggie
Emperor

We also don't have nationalism. Another dead-end tech that would slow us in the race for TeO...

I forgot about one little thing: OPD has rails... And indeed my army build up may take time, but will probably be ready before he has built TeO.
Old 12-08-2003, 21:24   #34
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 243:

Hmmm, this is going to be interesting. OPD attacked two turns after he got ToE and killed a musket. One turn ago I managed to safe-steal a tech and found that he got Rep Parts and Atomic Theory for free. I stole Rep Parts naturally. I wasn't too scared for Hoover, because I already had coal plants in most of my core cities. However, OPD was leading in the production stats, while I was leading in income.

Now I do have one thing over OPD: Nationalism. So I drafted a couple of infantry and also mobilised. After drafting I joined the now obsolete workers to the cities. Next turn I naturally will be drafting again. With mobilisation my production is higher than OPD's. OPD built a lot of wonders, but I was able to get Sun Tzu. That won't hurt in this part of the game.

I don't see a lot of units from OPD and the military advisor says that we are equal. I did shut down research alltogether and I only build up military now. Maybe I will be able to counterattack when OPD's initial attack fails.
Old 12-08-2003, 21:30   #35
anarres
anarchist butcher

Don't rely on the military advisor. At first I though the F3 advisor would give an average against all the players, human and AI, but now I think it only compares you to the AI players. In my game with CB and all other no-AI games I have there is no military advisor at all.
Old 12-08-2003, 21:52   #36
Aggie
Emperor

anarres: there is only one AI left and Japan has only one city! I'm sure that I have more units than Japan
Old 14-08-2003, 09:42   #37
Aggie
Emperor

I guess that OPD is re-thinking his strategy. He must be seeing that I lead in all demographic categories and also have Rep Parts!

My plan is to save money to upgrade all my military, then get espionage (due in about 8 turns) and then steal as much techs as I can from OPD. He probably will research towards Hoover, that will take enough time for me to upgrade and plant a spy. He doesn't have nationalism and that is quite costly for him

I don't think that it is a very good idea to plan an attack on a fully railed enemy now. OPD must notice that as well. He can bombard the crap out of my border town, but they are corrupt anyway (no destruction of buildings) and heavily defended (30 units per town).
Old 14-08-2003, 16:37   #38
Aggie
Emperor

Turn 246:

22.08KB

OPD has 32 artillery at the border, only defended by three infantry units [] After redlining the infantry units with my artillery it was very easy to steal OPD's stack, which is now protected by 20 ifantry of myself
Old 14-08-2003, 17:48   #39
anarres
anarchist butcher

Wow, crazy mistake.
Old 15-08-2003, 11:38   #40
Skyfish

Again a steal of a crucial tech at a crucial time helped you in a major way !
I am starting to think the "tech steal" option in 1vs1 is taking some of the fun out of the game....it's basically too cheap and unbalanced.