Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 08-02-2007, 22:24   #31
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Good you made progress but this is pretty weird. Maybe look at the forums and hopefully somebody had the same prob and solved it.
Old 14-02-2007, 17:25   #32
Socrates
Emperor

After a quick checking on the Internet, I saw that my monitor can only do 60 Hz at 1280*1024. So I think I'll have to stay at 1024*780 @ 85 Hz.

Is there anything else to do, Beam ? Can't remember everything you told me in Den Haag.
Old 14-02-2007, 18:39   #33
Melifluous
Administrator

So basically you can have the game running properly apart from the fact that the fog of war doesn't cover the terrain, it merely makes trees and river look black.

Damn this is damned close...

It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 19:27   #34
Socrates
Emperor

Yeah this is about the tiny gap I have to cross in order to say Goodbye to Mr. Gates. If I succeed, I'll start to run everything in Linux, migrate the needed data (fortunately, I have a few PCs at home, so as to temporarily store data inbetween), and see if I really can run my machine without Windows. If this is OK, then I'll probably erase my HD entirely, and install Linux as my only OS.
Old 14-02-2007, 21:02   #35
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

After a quick checking on the Internet, I saw that my monitor can only do 60 Hz at 1280*1024. So I think I'll have to stay at 1024*780 @ 85 Hz.

Is there anything else to do, Beam ? Can't remember everything you told me in Den Haag.
Install Automatix. With it you can install very recent video drivers and a lot of other good stuff without a hassle. Contains much more than Easy Ubuntu.

Also make sure you have the graphics settings in Civ IV all on low. That saves me from the crashes and freezes reported earlier (besides the solutions I found on Transgaming Cedega). Are you on the latest Cedega versions already? Then I read on Transgaming some ppl got better results playing with the settings related to the ARB_VBO Extension.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit: I assume you are on 1.6.1 ?
Old 14-02-2007, 22:32   #36
Socrates
Emperor

I installed Automatix2, but it told me I had the correct nVidia driver installed, and that I shouldn't overwrite it.

I have every gfx option on "low".

I tried the different settings with the "Dynamic VBO" and "Index VBO" options, but with no success.

I'm on Civ4 1.61 of course, I'm a hardcore Civver.

My current Cedega version is 5.2.6. Maybe I should get the 5.2.10 ?
Old 14-02-2007, 23:03   #37
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

My current Cedega version is 5.2.6. Maybe I should get the 5.2.10 ?
Ya should, why didn't you do already? Afaik use Transgaming > Check for Updates in the Cedega Menu. They solved couple of graphics issues in this version and the only way to find if they work for you is try it out. It worked for me.
Old 14-02-2007, 23:34   #38
Socrates
Emperor

So I've just downloaded the 5.2.10 version, using some deodorant. It didn't solved my problem. Too bad, as the 5.2.8 version focused on Civ4 amongst other games.

Also, how did you get rid of that other window that you can see in the bottom menu ? (can't remember what you told me, gaaah !)
Old 14-02-2007, 23:46   #39
Beam
c00l b33r

You must've been drinking a lot in The Hague krys. That window iirc is the check-cd window and I've also said some about that. Something related to how sw is sold in Russia. Use your brain and search skills and you'll get that part resolved.
Old 15-02-2007, 01:30   #40
Socrates
Emperor

Ah yes, I remember now. And I think I smell a little under my clothes... You know, I must have a bad memory, because I really didn't drink much there ; at least I've never felt the starting point of being a little drunk. I just remembered I had like 3 things to check, one of them being the xconf file (easy, it's in this thread).

But all of this is pretty useless to me now. Cedega-Civ4 isn't working properly with my hardware. I'm stopping my experimentation, because I think there's nothing to do about it unless some new software is released (and I doubt it'll change anything with Cedega). Which means dual boot.

But there is always hope. There is this software called VMware, which is proprietary, but has a free (as in beer and as in speech) version. It is a virtualisation software, allowing you to use Windows XP SP2 as a guest on your Ubuntu distro as a host, for example. And they're starting to make progress in the 3D area. I'll keep an eye on this.

Another thing to check : Virtual Box. This is a free software which does about the same thing. They're late behing VMware, but there is potential. No 3D for the moment, but usual Windows softwares are emulated even faster than with VMware.

That's it for the moment.