Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 14-04-2007, 01:21   #31
Tubby Rower

Now that we are moved in and have the check from the additional proceeds from our old home that was not needed for the new house.... I just purchased a 55 gal tank (4' long). I had to leave it there because I was also getting Sherry to pick out the stand/cabinet that she wanted. I ended up with a Perfecto "kit" that has a nice metal stand with a light colored wooden cabinet built in it. It also came with the said 55gal box, the hoods, and a canopy that matches the said stand.

I purchased a master test kit with pH, GH, KH, etc. All told it was $647. so add that to my filter and the rocks that I likely overpaid for, I've already busted my original budget. I'll get pictures up when I get it in the house.
Old 14-04-2007, 10:21   #32
Darkness

Sounds good!
Old 14-04-2007, 14:10   #33
Furiey
King

Definitely need pics, that's the same length as my tank. I'm getting tempted again to move to a Malawi setup....
Old 16-04-2007, 00:32   #34
Tubby Rower

Ok I have the fish tank in and got a chance to take a picture and upload it. Ana and I also tested the tap water. the pH out of the tap (after declorinating) is between 8.0 and 8.2. The KH and GH is negligable if existant at all. I went to Lowes (big box hardware store) and got some "egg crate" for the bottom. I still need to clean out the inside of the tank and hook up the filter. I also need a heater and a power strip but that's not necessary until I get closer to actually putting fish in there. I bought a GFCI outlet to protect against an unexpected spill in the direction of the outlet.

I'll likely get argonite since I'll need some buffer stuff for the water

36.18KB
Old 16-04-2007, 00:51   #35
socralynnek

mmmh, is that two cable fish inside of the tank?

Old 16-04-2007, 01:59   #36
Tubby Rower

Yeah, I'm gonna have electric eels and decided to use that spare bio-energy []

no those two are from the hood that I haven't unraveled yet. They are hanging behing the tank
Old 16-04-2007, 09:17   #37
Furiey
King

This is the time I find most frustrating - you have the tank and just want to get the fish in there but have to go through the set up process getting the tank stabalised before the fish go anywhere near it.
Old 16-04-2007, 09:50   #38
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

the pH out of the tap (after declorinating) is between 8.0 and 8.2. The KH and GH is negligable if existant at all.
Looks very promising so far...

PH is great.
What are the exact values for the KH and GH?

If they are below 6-8 you are giong to need some salts to get them up.

EDIT: This might be useful
http://www.cichlidforum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php
Old 16-04-2007, 13:44   #39
Tubby Rower

I saw that buffer recipe and was going to get the required stuff in the next couple days. The GH and KH tests were supposed to change the color with the first drop of the testing solution. The instructions also stated that if the GH (or KH) was very low (~ 1 °dkH or something like that) that the water will remain clear and that is what both of the tests did.

@ Furiey... I'm fine with the wait. It'll give me some time to get used to the testing and stuff.
Old 16-04-2007, 13:56   #40
Tubby Rower

• $588 (Sherry wanted a different style so I paid a little extra for that)
    • 55 gal (~ 200 liter) tank <s>~$125</s>
    • stand for said tank <s>~$157</s>
    • matching canopy for said stand (optional) <s>~$91</s>
    • hood/lights for said tank <s>$82</s>
  • greyish sand on the bottom $??? still haven't found sand I'm happy with if I can't use Tahitian moon sand
  • rocks for decoration $90 for 4
  • filter $85
  • fish $70-80 based off of Darkness's suggestions and the prices that I can get them
  • egg crate $10

running total for startup $773 so far with sand, heater & fish to go