Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 30-08-2005, 16:11   #21
classical_hero
Warlord

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

I'm really interested in a tour of the Netherlands. Since I been to Kristiana in Kobnhagen I'm curious what you Dutch/web foots guys would recommend aside from those type of activities.
Perhaps you should go to the Red light district or stop off at a coffee shop for some extra's.
classical_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 17:09   #22
Whomp
King

Kristiana was like that. Very interesting place. I understand the hippies took over the area which was an old army base. There were people we met from all over the world there growing, selling and tokin'. Quite a trip.
We played foosball with two Danish hotties and I asked one of them if she would like a beer and she said I don't drink, I only smoke hashish. We made a deal that if we beat them in foosball they would have to join us at a Santana concert that night. Unfortunately, my buddy did not have back line skills.
Old 30-08-2005, 17:43   #23
romeothemonk
King

Whomp, you have much more experience with Women than I do, but I avoid women that don't drink like the plauge. I don't drink more than 3-4 drinks per month, but I have noticed through my own experience and that of some of my buddies that women that don't drink are not worth the trouble.
I once invited a gal to go have a drink with me when I was single. She responded by attempting to make my life miserable for trying to corrupt her.
There is nothing like a good beer or mixed drink after a rough day of physical labor. I also use a bit of the old American Western medicine remedy, as nothing cures a stomach ache, headache or heartache quite like a nip of the old bottle.
Note to others: If you can find some American Moonshine Whiskey that burns blue, that stuff will light up your life like nothing else. You always check moonshine by how it burns, if it doesn't burn blue, don't touch it.
Old 30-08-2005, 17:59   #24
Matrix
Administrator

@Darkness: I do like Rotterdam more than Amsterdam. But that's just the atmosphere and people. Apart from the skyline, there's nothing interesting to see for foreigners in Rotterdam.

@Aggie: I always consider people from Almere as banned from Amsterdam. Why did you go there?
Old 30-08-2005, 18:54   #25
Rik Meleet

Quote:

I'm really interested in a tour of the Netherlands. Since I been to Kristiana in Kobnhagen I'm curious what you Dutch/web foots guys would recommend aside from those type of activities.
Then I can't leave the oldest Dutch city (pre-Roman) Nijmegen unmentioned.

View from across the river

By night

The Waag

Belvédère

And home to the largest 4-days march event in the world

Old 30-08-2005, 19:20   #26
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

About a month ago I was beamed to the Elysian Fields.
Old 30-08-2005, 19:23   #27
Swingue
Prince

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

Then I can't leave the oldest Dutch city (pre-Roman) Nijmegen unmentioned.
Indeed a nice place Nijmegen, best thing is it is close to Arnhem, capital of this region and the greenest city of NL (not in terms of Paal, though we do have those greens as well).

================================================

Swingue got a new pair of eyes, 20/20 vision now
Swingue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 19:26   #28
Whomp
King

Rik that looks awesome. I could easily see myself sitting in a wicker chair at The Waag and letting life slide by. What is the usual week of the March event?

Romeo...after ending a 10 year marriage(career chick who later informed me she had no desire to have kids)
I went a little whacko over the last 5(and the 10 years pre-marriage).
Some would call it a midlife crisis, I would call it pure unadulterated fun. Not that I'm against marriage, mind you, since I am close to #2.
Old 30-08-2005, 19:43   #29
romeothemonk
King

Quote:

Rik that looks awesome. I could easily see myself sitting in a wicker chair at The Waag and letting life slide by. What is the usual week of the March event?

Romeo...after ending a 10 year marriage(career chick who later informed me she had no desire to have kids)
I went a little whacko over the last 5(and the 10 years pre-marriage).
Some would call it a midlife crisis, I would call it pure unadulterated fun. Not that I'm against marriage, mind you, since I am close to #2.
I would never put off someone else's lifestyle or choices. I am not one of those kind of guys really.
I can also see how a bad marriage can be the one of the worst things in the world.
I was merely commenting that my personnal experience and that of my buddies is to stay away from Women that don't drink a little. From the other threads, I can see that you have lived live some, and that is all cool , and I would never put that down.
Plus it sounds like you have a winner in line for #2 . Good luck. As soon as I start making some money, I might have to see some of the sights, i.e. east of the Mississippi, or maybe even east of the Atlantic. I am getting a lot of good info on the Netherlands, however, the wife might not be amused by a vacation to a country with legalized prostitution and ganga.
Her ideas of vacation is Australia or Ireland, with a desire to see her ancestral homelands.
More Off-Topic, but now that they have closed Joliet Prison, can you tour it?
Old 30-08-2005, 20:39   #30
Whomp
King

Statesville prison is still open...at maximum security.

Romeo--I think Ireland is a good place for Americans to go for their first overseas trip.
I went to Dublin last year.
Unfortunately it was a short trip for a buddy's 40th birthday. We spent a good part of a day looking for a pub named McGurthy's.
We finally realized that there aren't any McGurthy's in Ireland.

Someone at Ellis island renamed the family. I think the immigration guy heard his grandfather saying McGurthy not McCarthy.

It was a very short trip and we toured the Bushmill's distillery, went to a football game Eire vs. ?? and hung out in the Temple Bar neighborhood.

I really like Dublin. If we had more time I would look to explore the countryside.

It took me a long time to realize that if I missed two weeks of work the whole place wouldn't collapse if I was missing.

Since my girlfriend and I don't have children, we travel instead. She lived in Paris for two years so I'd like her to show me her old haunts.