Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 13-10-2006, 16:19   #11
Shabbaman
Administrator

If it were up to Goebbels, a lot of people would be watching state television.
Old 13-10-2006, 18:53   #12
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Exactly! State TV Channels = fascism!

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 19:03   #13
Kingreno

I am also not getting the so called similarity between Lingoand That's the Question. I am pretty sure there are many people watching Lingo that find That's the Question either too difficult or too dull. And I am also certain that the vast majority of EO's that's the Question would refuse watching young men and women grab balls for fun.
Old 13-10-2006, 21:55   #14
Matrix
Administrator

Impressive statement, Stapel. If what you claim is true, shouldn't I be seeing continuous government propaganda?

IMO, the problem is that we used to have public tv station alone! With the coming of commercial stations, the role of public stations should be changed. And there I agree: let them broadcast programs for minorities, and educational/informative programs.

Heck, I actually think public stations are ideal for the Late Show. We used to see it on Fox (wherever happened to that station?) but they dropped it due to low viewing figures. But it's a perfect and fun way for us Dutchies to stay up to date with whatever is keeping the Americans busy these days, and get a little affection back for them as well.

Anyway, about the news: my personal impression is that RTL news is more neutral than NOS news. But it's not much different. I'm not particulary fond of either programs. The only thing that troubles me is the fact that most people take for granted whatever is being said on NOS news (and 1Vandaag) and don't question it or think further.
Old 14-10-2006, 00:37   #15
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Impressive statement, Stapel. If what you claim is true, shouldn't I be seeing continuous government propaganda?
I wouldn't claim that what we see on public TV is per se propaganda.
But I don't really care.

The simple fact that some media are dependent of the government is simply unacceptable, imho.
The whole idea is rotten. I've wondered for a long time why not more people are strongly against it.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 11:12   #16
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Exactly! State TV Channels = fascism!
But since there aren't a lot of people watching state television, it isn't fascist enough.
Old 14-10-2006, 12:50   #17
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

The simple fact that some media are dependent of the government is simply unacceptable, imho.
The whole idea is rotten. I've wondered for a long time why not more people are strongly against it.
Because it works, and because it's always been this way. That's also the reason why so many people are not strongly against it.

And because it's not "unacceptable", but merely undesirable, or a poor choice.
Old 14-10-2006, 12:57   #18
Shabbaman
Administrator

I really dislike the cheap amusement on television. If it were up to me, at least the public channels would stop broadcasting it. I have little faith in commercial channels producing quality television, but as long as they have competition from the public channels I doubt they will try.
Old 15-10-2006, 00:05   #19
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I tend to agree partly with Stapel. Public television should focus on programmes that won't make it on the commercial channels but are of public interest. I do think some programmes on the public channels are doing this

- andere tijden: amazing show, like Stapel this one has kept me home or in front of the tele for the rerun
- BNN has some good shows: over mijn lijk, je zult het maar hebben & spuiten en slikken.
- Keuringsdienst van Waarde
- news background shows: 1 vandaag, zembla

About news hows in general: I think that government channels are better to get independent news than commercially owned ones. They'll be more tempted to report from their sponsors angel then the government owned ones.
Specific for the Netherlands: Our public channels tend to be on the left side of the political spectrum which colours their reporting but we don't have any serious news background shows on the commercial channels so we're kinda stuck without an alternative atm.

I dont agree a show like Andere Tijden would make the grade on a commercial channel. From all above mentioned programmes I suppose only Spuiten en Slikken would maybe also be broadcast by commercial channels. I just hope the new system where broadcasting companies can apply for certain types of programmes will favor the ones that have shown to be able to make some innovative shows. And if we're really lucky that would mean the end of the TROS and the AVRO for starters.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 00:34   #20
Rik Meleet

http://www.nu.nl/news/849998/50/Onli...oud_Lingo.html