Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 04-12-2004, 23:16   #11
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

@Smalltalk. The children you know are probably mostly European. American are different. Russian a bit different. But you are damn right about the sponsors. However, I've been to a movie theater recently watching "Alexander" (the new movie) and there were a few kids about 6-10 years of age sitting alone whithout parents. The movie is actually rated "R" at least in US. Don't really know why, it has no language or sex or too much blood (no more than Civ). What was amazing that all these kids sitting in the theater were either Chinese or Mexican. A few of them left in the middle of the show though.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:08   #12
Grille

Nothing wrong putting swearing into a poem.

Here's one for bad RNG-results or miserable F3-statistics.

"Scheiße!" sprach der Großherzog,
als sein Heer vorüberzog.
Und die Großherzogin leise:
"Scheiße, scheiße, scheiße."
Doch sie hatten beide recht,
denn das Heer war wirklich schlecht.
(unknown?)

which roughly translates to:

"Fuckit!" yelled the duke annoyed
as his army was deployed.
And the duchess agreed:
"Fuckit, fuckit, fuckit."
But they were both right on guess,
their army was real valueless.
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 19:31   #13
smalltalk

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles
Just wanna say one thing: damn sellouts
Not sure if it is a sell out. I guess traffic cost is not neglectable for site like CFC. Nobody can be expected by default to pay these expenses out of his own pocket.

Quote:
quote:akots
The children you know are probably mostly European. American are different. Russian a bit different.
I have to admit, that I also know children, that will face trouble for foul language or for telling their parents, that they are stupid.

I always was a fan of that nursery rhyme:

"I am made of rubber
and you are made of glue
everything you say bounces off of me
and sticks to you."

What do you mean by Americans/Russians are different?
Old 05-12-2004, 19:52   #14
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

There is a similar Russian rhyme.

Well, for example, we traveled to a scientific meeting in Goteborg with some Russian delegation. There is a statue of a peeing guy right in the central square in front of City Hall. Well, no problem imo. But a friend of mine, who was actually about 32 yrs old at that time was really embarassed. He never travelled to Europe and was cursing and swearing about the statue all the way. His main argument was :"It's OK for boys but what about little girls?".

It is a bit more complicated than that probably. The problem is what various nations consider "dirty". I've heard from my Korean postdoc that for Koreans farting (not OK for Russians but more or less OK for Americans) or swearing is not a taboo but picking or loudly blowing the nose especially without any kind of tissue (more or less OK for Russians and Americans) is the worst thing you can do in public. Similar things like belching. Regarding "shit" as a term, in Russian it means a rather rough expression towards something (same as American) and is not equal to cursing but is only a notch below that.

Also, another thing comes up. During one of the recent non-official meetings at work, some fellow was complaining that "these damn experiments never work for me". The boss told him to shut up since he will not "tolerate any fucking cursing" in his presence.

That is a good example of American puritanism in its worst imo. You cannot damn anything but allowed to fuck everything which moves?
Old 05-12-2004, 21:33   #15
col
King

I once heard a rather upper class English woman exclaim

"Shit. I've stood in some doggy doo-doo."

Basically , if I remmeber correctly, the rule at CFC is that ANY attempt to circumvent ANY word which would be autocensored is a 1 day ban. Simple and easy rule.
Old 05-12-2004, 23:30   #16
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Col, I dont think we are reacting to the enforcement of the rule, but rather the words in the rule...At least that s what annoys me.