Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 04-11-2003, 19:46   #11
anarres
anarchist butcher

I agree that this will strengthen religous a lot. Combined with the reduced power of Industrial and the new traits it is going to take a while to work out what works.

I am really looking forward to this - strategies will be revamped by this and no-one knows how (except for the beta testers who actually spent time playing it... )
Old 04-11-2003, 22:46   #12
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Spend ancient era expanding like crazy, create many small towns, build a huge army, switch to feudalism and do first half middle age GA war. When you switch you get +1 unit support per town, and lose all maintenance costs: extra money for upgrading. Also very good for that early war, you lose tile penalty, but can still whip. Imagine that, just whip your conquered cities back to towns for maintenance free city improvements, gaining unit support and reducing flip chance. I think this might turn out very powerfull on higher levels where the AI usually expands faster with bigger cities.

I dont know, but it sounds pretty good to me. Sure 3gp unit for support is expensive but getting small towns or whipping cities to towns is pretty easy. And the little WW is offset by 3 mp possibility. Might even be worth a 8 turn anarchy extra.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:40   #13
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Spend ancient era expanding like crazy,(...)
I dont know, but it sounds pretty good to me. Sure 3gp unit for support is expensive but getting small towns or whipping cities to towns is pretty easy. And the little WW is offset by 3 mp possibility. Might even be worth a 8 turn anarchy extra.
sounds pretty damn much like what my first thought was here - I am afraid this will be (again) a one-strategy game then (unless we missed something).
Old 07-11-2003, 09:50   #14
Grille

Some guy reported a bug about feudalism at CFC... he stated that he still had to pay (partly??) improvement maintenance.
Alas, no F1 screenie available, nor confirmation, nor a save file posted (what would we Euro-scum do with a save now anyways lol)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...63#post1342963
along with the other stickied bug thread (which also list an "old" plane-rebase flaw, btw), I think there's already some work duty on a patch going on...
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2003, 19:48   #15
Matrix
Administrator

Feudalism rules! It's a perfect government to fight a war, as long as you stay under your maximum number of free units. I wouldn't recommend Republic with Conquests.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod

I don't understand that why in Feudalism is unit support 6 for a town but only 2 for a city. Should'nt unit support increase when a town grows into a city? Any why is support zero for metropolis.
The idea is that in a feudalist society the farmers are leaseholders and the noble own the land. These noble were the rulers, until the bourgeoisie were able to develop a commercial system and people didn't need the noble anymore. But this was only possible in cities.

This is what happened at the end of the Middle Ages. The armies (knights) were noble themselves too, but people didn't need them anymore as there was a national army guarding the cities, which is why they're so expensive if you stay in feudalism even though you don't have that many towns anymore.

What I'm afraid of is that you can still use feudalism in a later period: just build a bunch of useless towns in tundra or desert and voila: 6 more free units for every one.
Old 17-11-2003, 08:06   #16
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix
This is what happened at the end of the Middle Ages. The armies (knights) were noble themselves too, but people didn't need them anymore as there was a national army guarding the cities, which is why they're so expensive if you stay in feudalism even though you don't have that many towns anymore.
Also, them Knights were killed by the dozens with new, simple and cheap but effective weapons (longbow, crossbow) used by trained professionals (but that would be very hard to simulate in Civ3) - whom the nobles couldn't really pay, but the rich towns could........
so it makes sense in a twisted way.