Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 12-10-2004, 17:40   #11
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

OK, I found it, unbelievable as it sounds firefox had hung up on saving. When I tried to change HDDs when saving from firefox it killed the explorer.

I had to uninstall firefox and reinstall - and that required DLing ti again, whcih didn#t work as is hung up on saving DLs...

had to get the install file via a different PC and CD, but all is fine now again
Old 12-10-2004, 17:56   #12
Socrates
Emperor

digger760, I've been 6 months to Ireland, so I know a little of your country (even though it was 10 years ago). I found that Ireland was in essence a quite old and poor country, but much on the rise. Indeed you have (had ?) very short motorways (the only real one was from Dublin to the west, not even to county Kildare IIRC), but you have a microchips factory that is working for all Europe. I encountered the first "multimedia computers" in the college I was in, but it had some old spririt (someone said the "Dead Poets Society" ? not quite, but...). I'm sure there are many other examples. I saw in a thread at CFC that Ireland's growth rate is really huge, surely thanks to the EU (I remembered seeing all those projects funded by the EU), but also to the Irish's will to evolve.

In France everything takes a lot of time. While I agree we have to carefully weigh new laws and not blindly dive into new technologies, we are real snails. It has always been : "France is late, compared to other European countries" in the news (countries including Britain, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia...). If fast Internet is now well underway in France (but still late, compared to Korea and other countries), it's because for once it was well supported by the governments : linking remote villages is seen as being a concern of the State. I bet it was the same with motorways in the XXth or railroads in the XIXth : we were late, but eventually catched back because of a massive State-wise effort.
Old 12-10-2004, 19:45   #13
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

BTW, two of the Trojans I got while using the stupid free antivirus were from CFC from the banners on the top of the page. They were up there for a few hours only and then were promptly removed.

And indeed firefox may be extremely glitchy under XP.
Old 12-10-2004, 23:06   #14
Pastorius
Custard used tile

erm. university computers are slow to be updated in Norway too

I think it is a common problem in all public universities.

Here in Oslo, they have win xp machines, win2k machines, win2003server machines in a "good mix", but all hardware is too slow
Old 13-10-2004, 01:30   #15
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paaliklesuniversity computers are slow to be updated in Norway too...
If somebody thinks, US is advanced, forget about it. I'm running most of the experiments with Pentium-75 WinNT4 workstation with 64M RAM and 500Mb HDD and 14''-monitor. But the office machine is "more decent" (compared to other users there) - PIII-800, 128RAM, 6G HDD, Win2K. This is state university btw. There are even some Win95 486 PCs around.
Old 13-10-2004, 08:23   #16
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

now it is not only firefox, but the entire office.
Old 13-10-2004, 08:41   #17
digger760
King

just to close on he MSN subject i had with you yesterday killer:

The article i mention about this person having mixed up WinXP problems. Was infact due to him trying to install XP home edition over the top of XP Professional edition. Half way through the process he was told the having tow operating systems would make the machine unstable. so he stopped, but seemingly the damage was done and he end up having a XP Mongrel Edition.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 08:49   #18
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

digger: thanx for the warning I will leave work now to buy a new, large HDD and install a fresh system - 20GB is too little anyways atm as C: