Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 10-10-2009, 13:22   #11
Robi D
King

Just shows how irrelevent the peace prize is. Still its an improvement on last years winner, but that just reinforces how low its sunk

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 16:16   #12
grahamiam
Emperor

I hope he donates the prize money to Katrina aid or something like that.

As far as the nomination process, if I understand it correctly, anyone can be nominated (back in Feb as stated before), but then the list gets narrowed once in May and then again in August, with the final vote in October. Therefore, they could have considered what he had done so far (specifically the nuclear reduction stuff, which seems to be a favorite of the Nobel committee over the years).
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 13:03   #13
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamiam View Post
specifically the nuclear reduction stuff, which seems to be a favourite of the Nobel committee over the years.
I would garee with the Nobel peace prize committee that our world has a tat bit too many nuclear weapons. However, one can make a huge arguement that the biggest deterrent to wage war ever, is the fact that a possible enemy has nuclear weapons.

Therefor, nuclear weapons can be seen as peace keeping devices.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 15:35   #14
Robi D
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamiam View Post
specifically the nuclear reduction stuff, which seems to be a favorite of the Nobel committee over the years
That may be the case, but have they been reduced? Talking about it and doing it are two very different things.

I myself have talking about needing to reduce nuclear weapons as well over the years so where is my prize?

Old 15-10-2009, 01:01   #15
grahamiam
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi D View Post
That may be the case, but have they been reduced? Talking about it and doing it are two very different things.

I myself have talking about needing to reduce nuclear weapons as well over the years so where is my prize?
Me too! Me too! Henry Kissenger got one and I know I'm a nicer person than him

btw, I'm not saying it's right, I'm just noting the history. Prizes have been given to others with even less lip service, though there is evidence that Obama is taking this reduction talk very seriously (reduction, not elimination)
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 08:27   #16
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I think the timing couldn't have been better. I think (contrary to what akots said) he got the award for what he has achieved already, yet the award will (or might) also be a boost for him and his support!
No offense intended, but that's just plain bullshit. He hasn't achieved anything yet. He's probably quite dedicated to walking a peaceful road, but he's not done anything to prove his words yet.

I saw the news in a bar in San Francisco, and an obviously pro-Obama crowd was as surprised as I was that he got this award because of the fact that he really hasn't done anything (yet) to warrant being given this award...
Old 15-10-2009, 08:47   #17
socralynnek

By cancelling he rockets that were to be located in Poland, he already gave the world something for a more peaceful world.
But I agree, that it is probably two years too early.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:28   #18
Robi D
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by socralynnek View Post
By cancelling he rockets that were to be located in Poland, he already gave the world something for a more peaceful world.
While increasing troop numbers in Afghanistan and increasing threatening military action against Iran? How does that contribute to more peace in the world?

Old 15-10-2009, 14:07   #19
Matrix
Administrator

Well, the argument against the first is of course that Al Qaida will have less influence. But I'm not gonna defend that, because I'm rather uninformed in this matter. I only think it's way too easy to say "more troops = more war = bad".

And has Obama threatened with military actions against Iran? I can hardly imagine. A few months ago he made very clear overtures towards Iran/Ahmadinejad and although they weren't very keen in that, Iran has now agreed to let nuclear inspectors in (whatever that's worth).

@Darkness: Achievements are not only measured in laws and regulations. Bush' mantra was "You're either for us or against us" and the whole world loathed America's arrogant stance. That whole attitude of the US and towards the US has changed almost instantly once Obama was elected, and that has everything to do with the attitude and promises he made during his campaign.

To tackle global issues, e.g. global warming, we simply need the US. Bush thought that because of this he could do whatever he wanted, while Obama thinks the US also need the rest of the world.

In short: Obama drastically reduced anti-Americanism and changed America's line of approach in global diplomatic matters. He seeks cooperation over conflict. Now how can that not be peaceful?

Last edited by Matrix; 15-10-2009 at 14:14.
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:12   #20
Matrix
Administrator

Do you think the Nobel Peace Price for Al Gore and IPCC was just? He/They only got it for having influence on the public opinion, but in your reasoning has achieved absolutely nothing.