Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 08-10-2003, 12:42   #11
jack merchant

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

To add to Killer's very good remark, there is *already* a law in the workings on Capitol Hill to change the "born on foreign soil ban" ....So Arnie in the White House could actually happen one day
Well, the Democrats wouldn't mind that either it seems.... they have a good candidate in Michigan governor Jennifer Granhold (who was born in Canada). But from all I've read, I'm quite sure a constitutional amendment is required.
Old 08-10-2003, 13:04   #12
Aggie
Emperor

The democratic government type obviously has flaws. An example is that populists can get to power. It happened in Italy (Berlusconi), it happened in Holland (Fortuijn), it happened in the USA.

California is often called a hyper-demogcracy. The fact that they could get rid of the other governor this easily makes you wonder. How long before Arny has to go? Will they have elections every year?
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 13:33   #13
Skyfish

"hyper democracy"

They have 75million inhabitants of which only 15million are registered, of which 40% vote of which 40% voted for Arnie : the math geniuses can tell us how much is that in percentage of the pop but it dont sound that democratic to me ?
Old 08-10-2003, 13:44   #14
anarres
anarchist butcher

Only 3.2% of the population voted for Arnie? Only 20% are registered at all????
Old 08-10-2003, 13:49   #15
Aggie
Emperor

I stick to my remark about hyperdemocracy. What people do or don't do with their voting opportunity is besides the point imho. A decision of the Californian government can be undone by the people with a referendum. This should have given more power to the people, but in fact it means that every unpleasant decision is vetoed. Unfortunatelly unpleasant decisions are sometimes needed...
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 15:26   #16
Gothmog

I have learned to live with the fact that I will never understand how my countrymen think.

I really thought that GWB II was unelectable, having never done anything in his life other than get public funding for a baseball stadium and pocket millions in the transaction (oh and party a lot). There is a story about how a reporter was assigned to follow him around while he was govener of TX. Apparently he spent until noon each day playing video golf. The man is truly a dunce.

As for Arnie, what can I say? I am embarrassed for my nation, and my former state. I spent 30 years in CA.

I agree with Sky that Arnie will be little more than a talking head, just like Reagan. I also agree with Aggie as far as unpleasant decisions and the recall of Gov Davis. It is a very bad precedent.
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 15:28   #17
Gothmog

tripple post ???
Old 08-10-2003, 15:28   #18
Gothmog

double post ???
Old 08-10-2003, 15:55   #19
Skyfish

@ anarres : knowing that it includes children et al. Yes, this is the figure.

@Aggie I am not saying your remark is wrong. I just got thinking about the term when you mentionned it.
It is true that Democracy also encompasses "responsibility" of the voter, and giving the "power of veto" to the people does not mean you are a bettter democracy...
I don't know if you guys know about Switzerland but its an extreme example of a beautiful system on paper which in reality is far from Democracy (i.e huge referendums powers to citizens).
But they wont vote Arnie away believe me, the opposite, he is a populist, Gray Davis wasnt' and that s why he did not last.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:49   #20
Grille

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

well, I am still speechless. Will he turn out a European Commie leftist at heart? Or a little A.H.?

whaddaya think?
Beware of those Austrians...
j/k

Now seriously.
I've heard that it was the highest turnout in the past 30 years.
So 3.2% of the pop voted for Arnie. Wow. Sounds like Arnie could have just mobilised his family and friends to go to the booth...
Then I wonder why the media makes such a big fuss about the vote if nobody over there seems to be really interested.
Well, analysts say that Arnie must achieve *something* during the first 100 days in office, otherwise people (well, maybe just 3.2%...) would turn away.

Heck, in CFC OT is currently a poll about a mandatory voting system...
I wonder what "forced" voters would do (if they don't just make a blank vote).

In future, will politicians make a Hollywood career first?

T4, featering Dubya?
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote