Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 23-10-2008, 13:08   #161
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by socralynnek View Post
One of them is buying a cannon for each of my colonies in Europe to help against surprise attacks from Indians.
It appears we shared the same strategy a dozen years ago.

Quote:
OTOH if we had joined the war against the French, then we would have needed some units fast.
I would have dared to join the Aztecs, without having any military at all. Especially because we are on an island. I'm still far more worried about an Aztec surprise attack.

Quote:
I also don't like giving Monty guns. He is one of the most aggressive so I guess he would use them against us at some point. OTOH that might mean he'd lose that Fisherman's village. But then we'd have to teach it ourselves (or buy it)
Buying fishermen is rather cheap and there's another fishermen village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I replied Ynnek. Building cannons is good any way you look at it, because cannons don't count towards rebel sentiment. They're not that good on defense though. But you want to rush cannons? That seems costly.
Yeah, I realised that after posting. Anyway, we garee!

For now, we shouldn't buy any military units.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:04   #162
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Nope. The cost of 'hurrying' is 50 + 10 per cross left. When when it costs 360 gold, that means there are still 31 crosses necessary.

And cannons are good in settlement defense (+50%).
Interesting. Makes a lot of sense; in fact, I'd say it makes sense to buy a colonist from the docks a turn before you have enough crosses, because that way you can always pick the class that's most useful. Hmm...
Old 23-10-2008, 14:30   #163
socralynnek

Yeah, picking costs only 50g extra. But the crosses made in that trn aren't lost IIRC. They changed it to Civ4 style of overflow when the cross bar is already full, right?
Old 23-10-2008, 15:38   #164
Matrix
Administrator

I suppose.

At first (during beta testing), hurrying would only cost 20g per cross necessary. But that way you could always pick one for just 20g per colonist, so they changed it to 50+10x. Still, 60g is not a lot, is it?
Old 23-10-2008, 15:54   #165
socralynnek

Yeah, maybe that should grow more expensive with each pick...

OTOH, they removed a Founding Father that would give the right to pick, which was in Col I.
I guess it is a good strategy to always pick in final turn once you have your initial sells...
Old 24-10-2008, 11:43   #166
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I know.

Maybe PP can play first? I can't play before friday night, so if PP plays first, then I will play after him...
I guess chances are decreasing PP wil show up before tonight......

Old 24-10-2008, 12:07   #167
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
I guess chances are decreasing PP wil show up before tonight......
I will play tonight. Probably around 2100 CET...
Old 24-10-2008, 21:45   #168
Darkness

Turn 100 (1) – Shabbaville completes Armory, building cannon next. Sell stuff at Cuzco. Buy some colonists in Europe and send the galleon back to the New World
Turn 101 (2) – Nothing…
Turn 102 (3) – Merchantman arrives at Shabbaville. Picks up the free colonist to take him to Tenochtitlan to learn Tobacco planting.
Turn 103 (4) – Nothing…
Turn 104 (5) – France asks us to declare war on the Aztecs. We say “Hell, no!” Tlatelolco completes teaching our fisherman. Our caravel picks him up to take him to Fishtown. Scout arrives at Ihanktowan. They could teach us fishing. Unfortunately another European has been here before, so no gifts…
Turn 105 (6) – The king wants 140 gold. We refuse. Fisherman arrives at Fishtown and starts fishing. The missionary leaves the village to go and found a mission in Tenochtitlan.
Turn 106 (7) – Hernan Cortes joins Simon Bolivar. Fishtown completes Docks and starts building a warehouse. The free colonist starts learning Tobacco planting at Tenochtitlan. Galleon arrives at Shabbaville. Add an Ore Miner and a Gunsmith to Shabbaville. Set the second Carpenter at Shabbaville to make cigars because we will run out of Lumber next turn. Galleon loaded with silver, cotton and cigars and it heads on to Crabsilver to deliver the other three colonists to that town.
Turn 107 (8) – Silverbastiano completes Church, starts Cathedral. Galleon arrives at Crabsilver, and adds Master Distiller to the town. I had no Idea what to do with the Distiller, but we can produce sugar at Crabsilver, so he could be useful there. Scout enters Isanti. They teach Expert Trappers! No gift.
Turn 108 (9) – Did nothing yet. Next player is up.

For the next player:
- The caravel waits near Tenochtitlan to pick up the Tobacco planter in 3-4 turns
- We should consider sending a free colonist to Isanti to learn Fur Trapping. We have a ‘beaver’ next to Silverbastiano, so we could produce a lot of furs with a single expert.
- The carpenter/lumberjack combo is on its’ way to Silverbastiano to speed up the build of the cathedral.
- The galleon is on its’ way back to the high seas and Europe with about 1700 gold worth of goods. I would recommend buying a preacher for the church in Silverbastiano.
- We could send the merchantman back to Europe empty, so it can buy the free colonist available there. The merchantman is the fastest ship we’ve got, so we could sent it north to get a Fur Trapper trained. It seems wasteful to leave that beaversource uptapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Civ4ScreenShot0010.jpg (97.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Civ4ScreenShot0011.jpg (96.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Civ4ScreenShot0012.jpg (98.2 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: colonizationsave Miffy 108.ColonizationSave (94.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 24-10-2008, 22:59   #169
Stapel
Emperor

Ah, things look quite good, me thinks.

Old 24-10-2008, 23:13   #170
Stapel
Emperor

Hmm, a major concern, imho, is Monty now being -2 towards us. Any non-AI-guided Aztec would screw us over in 2 turns....