Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 22-05-2007, 14:46   #141
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

what about Ps. socolofi??
http://cichlidforum.com/tradingpost/detail.php?id=12537
Quote:
quote:For Sale F/S Ps. socolofi fry (blue)
Pseudotropheus soclofi (blue) fry. about 40 all between 1/2" and 3/4" at the moment and growing fast. $2.00 each or 10 for $15. Picture is of the father. He is still young, just about 9 months old.

I have never shipped before so I prefer pick-up. I will drive a bit too. I will try to ship if really needed.
He lives about 3.5 hours away and I wouldn't mind taking the trip.
Scolofi are a good choice. Pretty fish. I have them too. Not too aggressive either.
The picture of the father is very nice. Very good quality fish. Good non-blotched blue colour. Nice and stump forehead (pointy head is another sign of inbreeding).

2 drawbacks:
- You'll have to take one fish of the list. More than 4 species in your tank would be risky, IMHO.
- At that size they'll be impossible to sex, so you'll have to get more. I'd recommend getting (if he still has that much) the 10 for 15 dollar deal. That way you'll be able to see them grow and select the ones you want to keep when they've grown. You can then just sell of give away the spares to the LFS. And then you'll still be cheaper off, considering then you'll have 1m/3f or something for 15 dollars, which you'll never find in any store.
Old 22-05-2007, 15:19   #142
Tubby Rower

so they're not too small for my tank with the current fish being ~ 2-2.5" (5-6.5 cm)
Old 22-05-2007, 16:38   #143
Darkness

Quote:

so they're not too small for my tank with the current fish being ~ 2-2.5" (5-6.5 cm)
No. Mbuna only eat newly born fry. If they are getting above 1.5-2 cm then they should be fine... Females tend to grow slower than males, so don't go for all big ones.
Old 22-05-2007, 20:09   #144
Tubby Rower

Quote:

I went to another mom & pop shop and they had some little itty bitty M. Lombardis. They were so freaking cute.
I went there today on my way home and noticed that I had things mixed up in my head... They were Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

16.3KB. They were priced @ $3.99 each and I was hesitant to get them and then the girl told me that tomorrow is buy one get one free day. So I'll go back tomorrow and get 6 and hope that I don't get all males or all females. $12 for 6 fish isn't that bad
Old 22-05-2007, 21:16   #145
Furiey
King

I wish I could get fish that cheaply in the UK, I'd have to pay that much for Neon Tetras!
Old 23-05-2007, 10:34   #146
Darkness

Quote:

Quote:

I went to another mom & pop shop and they had some little itty bitty M. Lombardis. They were so freaking cute.
I went there today on my way home and noticed that I had things mixed up in my head... They were Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

16.3*KB. They were priced @ $3.99 each and I was hesitant to get them and then the girl told me that tomorrow is buy one get one free day. So I'll go back tomorrow and get 6 and hope that I don't get all males or all females. $12 for 6 fish isn't that bad
Pretty fish. I have them too.
2 things about M. cyaneorhabdos:
- The males can be quite aggressive.
- Difference between sexes is quite hard to see.

When buying them, make absolutely sure you select the fish. If at all possible, leave the largest and most aggressive fish at the LFS. If you can try picking one very dark specimin (very black, with bright blue bars) and 5 lighter fish (greyish black, with less bright blue bars). The dark one is certainly a male, and the lighter ones will either be females or suppressed males. Without venting, this species is almost impossible to sex.
If you turn out to have more than one male, you will most likely have to remove the excess males later on, because they will not tolerate eachother.
Old 24-05-2007, 03:02   #147
Tubby Rower

I ended up only getting 5 of them instead of 6. The cichlid guy stated that the rift lakes are semi-brackish not freshwater and therefore don't qualify for the buy one get one free deal. HE did knock a dollar off of each one so I paid $15 fo 5. I also asked him about the socolofi and he said that the price that I'd pay with shipping is a little less than what he'd charge. I'm planning on getting the $10 for $15 deal next week or the week after.

The M. cyaneorhabdos were pretty neat to watch from the tank at the LFS to my tank. They went from distinctly colorful to super pale back to colorful. Granted they aren't as colorful as they were in the store but I also still have my lights off.

Also on a uber-cool note... my tank is completely cycled. I have 0 nitrites and 10 ppm nitrates after the 15% water change before adding the fish tonight. I checked the hardness and the KH is 7° and the GH is ~ 9° so I added some more buffer. My pH is ~8-8.2. So I'm ready to learn how not to kill fish

Old 24-05-2007, 09:24   #148
Darkness

Quote:

I ended up only getting 5 of them instead of 6. The cichlid guy stated that the rift lakes are semi-brackish not freshwater and therefore don't qualify for the buy one get one free deal.
What a complete load of utter bullshit. Considering I have water with lake Malawi waterparameters (pH 8, KH 10, GH 11) coming straight from my tap, that would mean that Dutch watercompanies provide brackish water, instead of freshwater...

Brackish water is where rivers enter the sea, etc.

Still, 5 for $15 is a fine price. Now just hope that there are at least 2-3 females among them.

Quote:

Also on a uber-cool note... my tank is completely cycled. I have 0 nitrites and 10 ppm nitrates after the 15% water change before adding the fish tonight. I checked the hardness and the KH is 7° and the GH is ~ 9° so I added some more buffer. My pH is ~8-8.2. So I'm ready to learn how not to kill fish
Old 24-05-2007, 11:50   #149
Rik Meleet

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Furiey

I wish I could get fish that cheaply in the UK, I'd have to pay that much for Neon Tetras!
And they'll still charge you extra for the chips that go with it ?
Old 24-05-2007, 12:35   #150
Robboo
King

The guy at the fish store is simply wrong. Those lakes are not brackish...take that from a Aquatic and fisheries Biologist. He just needs to not feed you BS and tell you they are not included.

Also those fish would die in truly brackish water...