Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 17-06-2006, 22:21   #141
Matrix
Administrator

I have a question. My wife actually understands the offside rule. But then she asked: what is the use of this rule. I couldn't answer that.
Old 17-06-2006, 22:56   #142
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I have a question. My wife actually understands the offside rule. But then she asked: what is the use of this rule. I couldn't answer that.
Afaik it's use is to prevent attackers to settle near opponents goal and wait for an easy shot. Give your wife my regards btw.

Ita-USA 1-1. Italy sucked big time and I agree with dutch commentators they started with the wrong mentality. US started with the right mentality imo and fought every inch and would have deserved a win which whould see all teams in the group at 3 points. What remains is a big what-if the yanks had been a bit more careful and avoid those two red cards.
Old 17-06-2006, 23:14   #143
Whomp
King

The commentators here are questioning the referee from Uruguay. It seems he's been suspended before for erratic refereeing before. Even the Italian commentator feels that it was poorly refereed. It seems this has been a trend in many of the games. How can you not have "the best" referees for WC?
Old 17-06-2006, 23:30   #144
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

I disagree Whomp. First of all it is very easy to blame ANY referee for making erratics in history. Easy shot. Blaming it to the referee system ok with me but not in the context of this game cause it is a fact of current live. Secondly there is no question after replay about the reds for the Italian and the US guy who got his second yellow and the other red for the US was a heavy attack for on the ankles, not on the ball. A matter of interpretation, cause some refs would have stayed with yellow but according to the rules the ref can go red so no erratic behaviour. Thirdly the US made an off-side goal where one of US players was about 2 feet off-side and even made an attempt to touch the ball which involves him in play where he had better moved his ass outside the field to prevent the off-side. All-in-all imo this ref did his job very well.
Old 18-06-2006, 01:16   #145
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp
Even the Italian commentator feels that it was poorly refereed.
I didn't understand this comment, the Italian refs would say it was poorly reffed cos they didn't beat the united states.

That elbow to the face should have got the police involved. Ban him for the rest of the tournament I say.

The straight red for the 2 footed challenge above the ankle was completely justified, if the Italian player had that foot on the ground and his studs in that would have snapped his leg like a dry twig.

The 2 yellow = 1 red one was probably the ref making up for the fact that the first yellow should have been a straight red. Last defender hauling down the attacker was a red card offence last time I checked.

But...

Grats to USA for holding on for the draw with 9 players [beer]

It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 01:20   #146
Dell19
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Afaik it's use is to prevent attackers to settle near opponents goal and wait for an easy shot. Give your wife my regards btw.
Yep. It would probably help England though as then we could just scrap the midfield and play long ball all day.
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 01:54   #147
DrAlimentado

yeah offside rule is to prevent goal-hanging, I personally think they should modify the offside rule so there is no offside if the ball is passed inside the opponents penalty box but thats just me.

USA played a very good game vs Italy I thought. Ghana 2-0 Czech was also an excellent game, was surprised by the quality - could have been a few more goals for Ghana.

Ref's have a hard time of it but there have been some weird decisions indeed, and a definite lack of consistency. Seems in general like there are a few too many bookings maybe but to be fair the USA-Italy game was probably about right.
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 02:55   #148
Matrix
Administrator

Ghana was playing extremely well! Czeck Rep. - Ghana was a very nice match to watch. Italy - USA was also quite exciting. All three red cards were justified IMO, and I have no complaints about the referee there. I would've liked it very much of the USA would win this match. That would've meant all teams had three points after two matches.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

yeah offside rule is to prevent goal-hanging, I personally think they should modify the offside rule so there is no offside if the ball is passed inside the opponents penalty box but thats just me.
Well, there already is the exception of passing the ball to someone behind you...
Old 18-06-2006, 03:00   #149
Tubby Rower

The first US red card was not justified!1! he got the ball. I thought that if a tackle got the ball then no foul was committed. The US-Italy referee came out with a chip on his shoulder and then after about the 50th minute he decided "My book is sure filling up... just play on guys." What kind of crap is that. If he was calling the game as tight in the second half as he was in the first half, there would have been a 6 on 7 by the end of the game.

I'm fairly pleased with the US performance even though Beasley is a big slacker and was still not attacking well. I'm not saying that the US would have won if there was a "normal" referee, but it would have been a better game to watch.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:05   #150
Kemal

I think the ref was pretty good, regarding cards. That first red card for US was a horrendous challenge that could have been career-ending. That should be banned from the pitch as much as the scandalous elbowing by di Rossi.