Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 27-01-2009, 14:10   #141
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Yes. Erikson is very good, I've read them all quite some time ago and the last one which was published recently and also there are additional books of these series (necromancer trilogy by Erikson) and two books by Ian Esslemont (Night of Knives and Return of the Crimson Guard). Their forum is a nice community as well.

I'm waiting for the 5th George RR Martin's book and reading Joe Abercrombie's trilogy meanwhile. Also not bad at all.
Old 27-01-2009, 15:28   #142
barbu1977
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I've got to second this suggestion. I've just finished the first book of Erikson's Malazan books of the fallen series (Gardens of the Moon) and it was great. Very complex with many different storylines. Reading book 2 now (Deadhouse Gates) and this one is also very good.
It's available at my local Library, I'll probably make it next on my reading list.

BTW, I just finished Tom Clancy's Hunt for the Red October. I did enjoy it. You could call it "historical" in some ways.
Old 27-01-2009, 16:18   #143
Shabbaman
Administrator

I've started reading the Saga of the Seven Suns, by Kevin J. Anderson. He's a co-writer (probably better: ghost writer) for many "fake" Dune and Star Wars novels, and (thus) a true master at milking a storyline. Entertaining.
Old 03-02-2009, 15:59   #144
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
I've started reading the Saga of the Seven Suns, by Kevin J. Anderson. He's a co-writer (probably better: ghost writer) for many "fake" Dune and Star Wars novels, and (thus) a true master at milking a storyline. Entertaining.
Why "fake" Dune ? Besides the original novel I think the books co-written by Anderson are actually better than the rest of the original series....
Old 03-02-2009, 19:50   #145
Shabbaman
Administrator

Yes, yes... it seems no one likes the other Dune novels, but I do: it might be weird ravings of an alcoholic, incoherent and whatnot, but at least it seemed original. Those prequels seem to elaborate on some existing information (at least they claim to...). It's entertaining, but Anderson is stretching very little new information over a lot of pages. Each book has basically the same page-long introductions, over and over again. It's the same in the Saga of the Seven Suns.
Old 15-02-2009, 22:29   #146
Dell19
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
Yes, yes... it seems no one likes the other Dune novels, but I do: it might be weird ravings of an alcoholic, incoherent and whatnot, but at least it seemed original. Those prequels seem to elaborate on some existing information (at least they claim to...). It's entertaining, but Anderson is stretching very little new information over a lot of pages. Each book has basically the same page-long introductions, over and over again. It's the same in the Saga of the Seven Suns.
Nah I also like the other Dune books more than the prequels etc. The Butlerian jihad books had promise but the last book let the trilogy down (specifically the ending). The Leto books tried to introduce too many links to the Dune book and introduced a ridiculous chain of events that seemed impossible.
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 13:04   #147
romeothemonk
King

I must not have read all the Dune books then. I read a couple, really liking the original, and then thought that most of the others were derivitive tripe. I can't say that I read the Anderson "prequels", but I did read his star wars, and I have to agree with Shabba that the man can milk a story line for 400 pages and a paycheck.
Old 20-03-2009, 13:21   #148
Darkness

I recently read Brent Weeks' "Night Angel" trilogy. Fairly good books, even if the storyline is a bit chaotic...
Old 20-07-2009, 11:47   #149
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeothemonk View Post
ON the historical fiction side, I have really enjoyed Harry Turtledoves WorldWar series, and I am just now finishing up his Southern Victory series.
I realize that his literary skills are probably only a 5, but the concept is fresh and loaded with enough fact to keep me interested and thinking hard about several things.
Most notably is my theory that Roosevelt with Social Security ended the proclivity of States to rebel, especially the southern states, as they draw more heavily on government assistance. With close to half of the population on the federal dole revolt becomes nearly unelectable.

Anyway, you can check his stuff out here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove
I found this guy in an online book store while searching for books for my holiday. I'll check it out, as well as A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Should be enough for two weeks.
Old 25-08-2009, 14:54   #150
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbu1977 View Post
It's available at my local Library, I'll probably make it next on my reading list.

BTW, I just finished Tom Clancy's Hunt for the Red October. I did enjoy it. You could call it "historical" in some ways.
You should try Red storm rising by Tom Clancy, I think it's his best "historical" book.

I finished A Game Of Thrones and How Few Remain, and both got me to go for their sequels. As for How Few Remain, I'd say it's definately interesting to try this one. I like alternative history, but this one is about the american civil war, a period I don't know that much about. It's a good thing that I had read up a bit on it before I read the book, otherwise I would've missed quite a bit. The sequel is about WWI, I expect that to be more recognizable for a European.

And yes, Turtledove's literary skills might only be a 5, they're not worse than those of KJ Anderson

Tags
cool stuff