Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 12-07-2010, 03:27   #141
Matrix
Administrator

I agree with BCLG100 for 100%.

Although he should have seen that we should have had a corner after Sneijder's free kick at the end.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20   #142
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I agree with BCLG100 for 100%.

Although he should have seen that we should have had a corner after Sneijder's free kick at the end.
Additional major errors by Webb:

- Iniesta should've been sent off for retaliating against Van Bommel (not very hard, but retaliation is an automatic red card according to the rule-book).
- Puyol should've been booked for grabbing Robben on Robben's second breakaway. Clear holding which can and should be penalized even if play is allowed to continue to give advantage to the attacking team. Which would've been Puyol's second yellow.
- The ceaseless asking for yellow cards by Spanish players should've been stopped as soon as it got started. A really good referee (Collina for example) would've never allowed this to continue for 120 minutes.
- Dutch players got booked for identical fouls that Spanish players were only warned about.

I'm not saying Webb cost us the game. Far from that. I'm just saying Webb was hopelessly out-of-his-depth last night. Spain was better and they earned the win.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37   #143
Robi D
King

Well there is one positive out of this match for all supporters and that is Africa 2010 has finished and we don't have to listen to those f**kin vuvuzela's anymore

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:43   #144
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi D View Post
Well there is one positive out of this match for all supporters and that is Africa 2010 has finished and we don't have to listen to those f**kin vuvuzela's anymore
Amen!

That's the only real positive of last night. I actually could just go to sleep at 1 AM and not hear the damn things going through the night. Which is nice, considering I actually had to be in office at 8 AM...
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07   #145
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi D View Post
and if you really beleive this.... there's will be vuvus at each and every game for the next 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post

- Iniesta should've been sent off for retaliating against Van Bommel (not very hard, but retaliation is an automatic red card according to the rule-book).
- Puyol should've been booked for grabbing Robben on Robben's second breakaway. Clear holding which can and should be penalized even if play is allowed to continue to give advantage to the attacking team. Which would've been Puyol's second yellow.
- The ceaseless asking for yellow cards by Spanish players should've been stopped as soon as it got started. A really good referee (Collina for example) would've never allowed this to continue for 120 minutes.
- Dutch players got booked for identical fouls that Spanish players were only warned about.
to add to the list:
- van Bommel should have seen a second yellow card or even a red card (forgot whom he slid into, but it was asking for red)
Old 12-07-2010, 13:32   #146
BCLG100
Deity

Quote:

I'm not saying Webb cost us the game. Far from that. I'm just saying Webb was hopelessly out-of-his-depth last night. Spain was better and they earned the win.
Retaliation is dependent, it isn't automatically a straight red and can just be a yellow. I was surprised he didn't get a yellow but then if he had given a yellow for this then, again, there would have been more Dutch players sent off.

I think your patriotism may be clouding your judgement with regards to the yellows, the Dutch tackles were generally substantially worse, e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtiZh7cPXyk

I think Webb didn't want to be the first man to have to end a World Cup final game because one team didn't have enough players left on the pitch.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 13:39   #147
Darkness

I am not saying that the Dutch weren't playing much "fouler" than the Spanish, I'm just saying that Dutch players got booked for fouls identical to fouls that Spanish players were only warned about (this being in addition to much dirtier fouls that the Dutch committed).

Spain won (and very much deservedly so). But Webb sucked. He should've sent off De Jong in the 28th minute, because when he let that one slide with a yellow, he basically lost control of the game...
Old 12-07-2010, 13:47   #148
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLG100 View Post
I think Webb didn't want to be the first man to have to end a World Cup final game because one team didn't have enough players left on the pitch.
Quote:
But Webb sucked. He should've sent off De Jong in the 28th minute, because when he let that one slide with a yellow, he basically lost control of the game...
quoted for truth!
Old 12-07-2010, 13:51   #149
Matrix
Administrator

I think this was a game from hell from the perspective of referees. There were so many tackles and fouls on the edge of being a foul or not, a yellow card or not, a red or yellow card... I don't think any other referee would've done it better.

But yes, De Jong's foul should've been a red card. That and the last corner for the Netherlands that he missed are his two biggest errors of the day.
Old 12-07-2010, 19:11   #150
Socrates
Emperor

What's up with the Dutch team ? After the horrible game versus Portugal in 2006, one could have thought they would have calmed down.