Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 25-02-2004, 15:59   #121
anarres
anarchist butcher

OK, I misunderstood about the tech gamble you mentioned. I assumed you turned off a min Lit research.

Regarding Maastricht: I still can't see what was wrong with it. I have no strong ties to keeping it where it was, I just want to know what your reasons were for moving it.

If you are looking at overlap - the yellow dot to the east could still be founded and there be only 2 tiles overlap. I don't think limiting 2 cities to size 20 instead of 21 is going to harm us in this game, and certainly not harm us as much as moving a city with 2 cows at this early stage. When you move it there will be only 1 cow in the immediate radius and it will cost 60 shields to capture the other one back.

Please don't get annoyed at my questioning, I only want to understand the reasoning behind the move.
Old 25-02-2004, 16:00   #122
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

What the fuck is/was wrong with the position of Maastricht? It is next to 2 cows, adjacent to a river, hardly any overlap or unused tiles. I evaluated the location extensively, Holwerd was founded later btw so that is the troublemaker.

Pity that curragh is lost, Galleys should give a better chance and there are a couple of potential crossing points to go. Big landmasses prob. means big seabodies as well.
Old 25-02-2004, 16:16   #123
Aggie
Emperor

Not to critize you Killer, but I really like a discussion next time such a big decision is made. I do think it is a bit risky at this point, nearing the maximum number of cities.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2004, 16:47   #124
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Beam: Maastricht is in a bad place for founding cities AROUND it! see my dotmap.

I would have founded it, too, I think.

aggie: sorry. Will not happen again
Old 25-02-2004, 17:15   #125
Beam
c00l b33r

Hm, I don't think it is bad, I must say I had one city in mind for fillin up between Maastricht and 't Kielegat. The mind never made it to the web however

In abandoning Maastricht is not just 30s for the settler but also 100s for the now neccesary aquaduct. Anyway let's proceed now and sail to new worlds!

Can someone post a recent peninsula map please?
Old 25-02-2004, 17:18   #126
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Beam, I was more thinking about the coast!
check m dotmap: no aqueduct for Masstricht, and none for the town to the south. Yes, the coastal town needs one, but it catches a lot of tabac and fish extra beakers.

I'll post maps in a sec
Old 25-02-2004, 17:32   #127
Beam
c00l b33r

The dot near the curragh can go one tile S, just one land tile is missed by that. The other dots can be fitted in easily and nicely from there. Still "at work" so can't show it in a dotmap.

Killer, what is the rule of thumb by the way you use for city spacing? I might understand better how you come to the lay-out.
Old 25-02-2004, 17:36   #128
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Beam, here, i want to take as much BG and bonus res whith NO overlap at all. Dist corr makes no difference at all when you shift a town 2 or 3 tiles on this map size. But with the limited number of cities I wouldn't ever let towns overlap if I cna avoid it in any way. Yes, an aqueduct IS a strong argument. But losing 3 tiles for one - no! You easily get that money from the city in the long run.
Old 25-02-2004, 18:06   #129
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

grrr, upload no work at all for me atm.
Old 26-02-2004, 09:01   #130
Stapel
Emperor

I got it!

I loaded the game yesterday evening. My (old) PC started protesting and was mumbling about low virtual memory stuff. We'll see how things go. If stuff really gets nasty, I will pass it on rather soon. I will play tonight.

The Maastricht thing: It was located just fine! I never bother about overlap! What is wrong with overlap anyway? For 3/4 of the game, you can't make 12+ cities anyway! Surplus labourers can be used for science, if overlap really bothers.

Another thing I wonder: Our silks colony.... Why not a city? Evetually, we are going to build a city there anyway, so why did we waste a worker?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote