Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Hattrick forum
Home

Old 03-08-2007, 20:46   #111
sz_matyas

On the bright side 3 new teams just joined my league so there is only one bot. Unfortunately they won't be good enough to compete with before I promote. Still it's always good to play against other people.

Now for the dilema: I currently have inadequate team spirit and have an opponent from div II in my upcoming match who got just short of 200 hatstats last match. He went all midfield and offense to get those, meaning that he intends to simply score a bunch of goals and hopes I can't keep up.

My thought is: given that I can PiC my league game and play basically whoever I want, do I:
1) Go all defense, PiC and Press so as to concede defeat, but limit the damage a little so my fans aren't as mad for the following home game
2) Go my standard 3-5-2, MoTs and hope for the best
3) Play a 4-4-2 counter-attack and either MoTs or normal, hoping to get a couple goals to lessen the damage while trying to prevent him from scoring too many.

The league match following the cup game is against a midfield only player who I wouldn't feel comfortable PiCing against with murderous team spirit, but I could beat unless I get really unlucky.
Old 05-08-2007, 17:18   #112
romeothemonk
King

You got to play to win. You always play to win.
That gives you option #2 or #3.
I personally, knowing nothing about the game advocate #2, as plan B always sounds better than plan C.
Old 05-08-2007, 22:36   #113
arne1
King

can I safely assume you have no experience in 4-5-1? which would be my choice if I have to play a team like this.
either counte and forget about midfield or play strong midfield so defense does not matter and since he has no defense your offense doe not matter anyhow.
Old 06-08-2007, 16:37   #114
sz_matyas

In that case I will probably go with #3, as you are right in that I have no experience in a 4-5-1 and can't really hope to match his midfield. Regardless I'll feel good about being one of the 16 lowest teams remaining in the cup (and hopefully beyond that).
Old 06-08-2007, 18:35   #115
arne1
King

You should be proud
Old 10-08-2007, 20:55   #116
sz_matyas

For those who are training wingers, I am planning on switching soon with the goal of improving my team (i.e. keep a couple of the trainees when I'm done and squeeze as much profit as I can from the others).

I will have ~$1.2M to invest in trainees and my wingbacks for league games are not included in this total (I plan on sacrificing that training to get better results and treat any improvements as a bonus). So I'm wondering if you have any suggestions as to how I should split up the pot and what skill levels I should target it would be appreciated. The training will go on until I'm satisfied with the level of the ones I'm keeping which will likely be around magnificent.
Old 28-09-2007, 18:15   #117
sz_matyas

Having played for just short of 4 full seasons, I am getting ready to promote to div V and figure this would be a good time to examine my team.

Economics:
Currently I am even financially and will be saving all of my remaining income this season for a new coach.
I make ~$2M a year plus any income from the YA, which I anticipate continuing (increased attendance and stadium capacity offset by higher wages, as I'm just entering the period where wages explode)

Players:
All non-trainee starters are at least Formidable (and may even have that fixed by the start of next season) with 3 Formidable (2 WB and a GK), 2 Outstanding (CD and forward) and 4 Brilliant (3 IM and a forward). Backups-GK solid, Defense 1-excellent 2-passable (only in case of an injury playing 4 defenders, and replaced before too long), IM outstanding+0.8, Forward excellent. All but 2 players are 24 and under and those two are my solid GK and my passable defender, so first to be replaced.

The largest area of deficiency is experience, as evidenced by the fact that my 3 brilliant IMs in passable/passable/solid form can achieve poor (VH) midfield on the road. I have 6 players with disastrous experience and no starter above poor. This is an excellent growth opportunity, but is pretty hard right now (that and I've only had 2 experience raises this season despite playing 4 cup matches and 10 league, ironically I've sold both players).

Set pieces is also a weak area, as I currently am playing a solid SP guy as my best, will look to upgrade that in the coming seasons.

Outlook:
I should promote and can all but lock it up this weekend (30+ GD advantage and 9pts with 3 games remaining if I win). I'm averaging 148 hatstats for the season and ~160 at the moment. Median div V team is at 162 avg. hatstats, so I'm likely going to be just below that, but hopefully good management and luck in getting a league can overcome that problem.

To promote to div IV I figure I want 220-230 hatstats (current median is 222). I've been increasing an average of 15 hatstats a year and it looks like this trend can continue for at least one more season provided I don't get hit by injuries and the form monster. Also I anticipate that I need ~$8-10M to improve my team to div IV caliber looking at current market prices. Both of these say that I should spend ~4-5 seasons in div V. Of course this is highly dependent upon what league I'm in, but with the high turnover this shouldn't add more than a season or two.

The biggest issue is the changing of the match engine and economy. With prices skyrocketing (bought my brilliant forward for under $600K just over a season ago, TC now says he is worth ~$1M) it may become harder to find the pieces I need at prices I can afford. The match engine is the big issue, I'm curious to see how my young/lean team strategy pays off with this. Making a number of massive changes at once (new income sources, new match engine, substitutions, new league for me) makes it hard for long term planning so we'll see how everything plays out.

Finally my trainees (I have some form/solid WBs that I'll play there, so only actively training the winger slot). Have very high expectations for the last two (payed $300K+ for each), so hopefully they pan out. Antoon is holding time until I have money for a better player to fill his slot.

Quote:
quote:
Antoon Dewinter
TSI = 1 040 , 19 years and 4 days, passable form
Has disastrous experience and disastrous leadership abilities [Quick]

Stamina: passable Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: passable
Winger: solid Defending: inadequate
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: poor

Germán Adrián Ramón Grasso
TSI = 3 070 , 18 years and 85 days, solid form
Has disastrous experience and disastrous leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Stamina: solid Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: poor
Winger: outstanding Defending: weak
Scoring: poor Set pieces: inadequate

Leroy Beerten
TSI = 870 , 17 years and 22 days, weak form
Has disastrous experience and disastrous leadership abilities

Stamina: poor Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: inadequate
Winger: excellent Defending: wretched
Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: wretched

Zabidi bin Kamaruddin
TSI = 1 250 , 17 years and 84 days, inadequate form
Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities [Head]

Stamina: weak Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: weak Passing: solid
Winger: solid Defending: poor
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: poor
Old 22-10-2007, 17:54   #118
sz_matyas

Word of the day: Buzz saw

Basically looking for long term planning advice as I have promoted to a very difficult league (v.161).

Simply put here are what I expect to be facing
Quote:
quote:
Hatstats
total D IM O total D IM O
1 265 144 78 64 237.5 124.5 57.7 55.2 FC Honky
2 227 139 54 69 192.8 100.1 37.2 55.6 Chics for Kicks
3 208 63 90 69 184.9 53.5 72.5 58.8 Mountaineers
4 203 85 66 62 175.3 66.3 56.5 52.5 LongOvrDue West United
5 196 62 63 82 182.0 59.1 53.8 69.2 green tomatoes
7 175 63 51 61 161.2 61.2 43.6 56.5 nuns on crack
1 168 116 21 32 157.2 107.2 19.4 30.5 The Fish
Here's me
Quote:
quote:
1 164 65 48 56 151.0 61.1 40.3 49.6 hunting_penguins
Loddar stats are fairly comparable to hatstat ratings (i.e. no one is a wonder in a single rating type) and range from 14-24. Nuns on Crack and The Fish are both improving, but not necessarily as fast as I am, so I may or may not catch them in stats by the end of the season.

The basic question is any ideas for season plans for my team. I'll list my players and a couple of ideas I've had, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. BTW I will be ~$100K in debt with a new coach at the start of the season, so I can't buy any quick fixes.

Forwards:
Quote:
quote:
Pablo Paz [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 8 710 , 22 years and 56 days, passable form
Has poor experience and passable leadership abilities

Winger: wretched Defending: poor
Scoring: brilliant Set pieces: poor

Vegar Pedersen [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 4 960 , 24 years and 84 days, passable form
Has weak experience and weak leadership abilities

Playmaking: weak Passing: weak
Winger: weak Defending: poor
Scoring: outstanding Set pieces: wretched

Grady Lambert [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 1 610 , 22 years and 93 days, inadequate form
Has poor experience and weak leadership abilities

Winger: weak Defending: wretched
Scoring: excellent Set pieces: poor
Midfielders
Quote:
quote:
Augusto Ospina
TSI = 11 160 , 20 years and 105 days, inadequate form
Has wretched experience and wretched leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Playmaking: brilliant+3 wks Passing: inadequate
Winger: wretched Defending: weak
Scoring: passable Set pieces: solid

Rainer Wick [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 11 460 , 21 years and 11 days, passable form
Has wretched experience and wretched leadership abilities [Powerful]

Playmaking: brilliant Passing: passable
Winger: inadequate Defending: poor
Scoring: wretched Set pieces: wretched

Robby Pinzenöhler [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 7 480 , 21 years and 23 days, weak form
Has wretched experience and weak leadership abilities

Playmaking: brilliant Passing: poor
Winger: disastrous Defending: inadequate
Scoring: poor Set pieces: wretched

Henrique Machado
TSI = 8 060 , 20 years and 105 days, passable form
Has wretched experience and passable leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Playmaking: outstanding+0.8 Passing: weak
Winger: wretched Defending: weak
Scoring: weak Set pieces: weak
Wingers/Trainees
Quote:
quote:
Leroy Beerten
TSI = 1 620 , 17 years and 46 days, passable form

Winger: excellent+4wks Defending: wretched
Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: wretched

Germán Adrián Ramón Grasso [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 4 270 , 18 years and 109 days, solid form
Has disastrous experience and disastrous leadership abilities [Unpredictable]

Winger: outstanding+4wks Defending: weak

Zabidi bin Kamaruddin
TSI = 1 630 , 17 years and 108 days, weak form
Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities [Head]

Winger: excellent+2wks Defending: poor
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: poor

José Antonio Urruticoechea
TSI = 2 210 , 17 years and 80 days, inadequate form

Winger: solid+4wks Defending: inadequate
Scoring: weak Set pieces: wretched
Wingbacks/Trainees
Quote:
quote:
Balázs Gábos [1 booking accumulated]
TSI = 3 990 , 20 years and 9 days, passable form
Has wretched experience and wretched leadership abilities [Powerful]

Stamina: inadequate Keeper: disastrous
Playmaking: inadequate Passing: wretched
Winger: solid Defending: formidable
Scoring: poor Set pieces: wretched

Vissarionas Zografos [1 booking accumulated]
TSI = 4 090 , 19 years and 109 days, passable form
Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities [Quick]

Playmaking: weak Passing: wretched
Winger: solid Defending: formidable
Central Defenders:
Quote:
quote:
Carlos Eduardo Betancur [2 bookings accumulated]
TSI = 3 660 , 23 years and 102 days, inadequate form
Has poor experience and weak leadership abilities [Powerful]

Playmaking: weak Passing: poor
Winger: poor Defending: outstanding
Scoring: weak Set pieces: poor

Rafa Barro [1 booking accumulated] [Bruised, but playing]
TSI = 2 000 , 24 years and 76 days, solid form
Has wretched experience and passable leadership abilities

Playmaking: poor Passing: wretched
Winger: weak Defending: excellent
Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: weak

Shad Goetz
TSI = 660 , 27 years and 98 days, inadequate form
Has weak experience and weak leadership abilities

Playmaking: wretched Passing: disastrous
Winger: inadequate Defending: passable
Scoring: weak Set pieces: inadequate
Keepers:
Quote:
quote:
Alberto Mariscal [Estimated injury time: 1 weeks] 1
TSI = 6 920 , 21 years and 58 days, passable form
Has poor experience and passable leadership abilities

Stamina: solid Keeper: formidable
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: wretched

Genaro Scarpini
TSI = 4 740 , 27 years and 98 days, solid form
Has wretched experience and passable leadership abilities

Stamina: solid Keeper: solid
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous
Scoring: disastrous Set pieces: wretched
So, ideas for the next season and playing in a killer league:
1) Forget this season, try to win as many games as I can, but be willing to lose them all and relegate
2)PiC all the first half of the season, cash out Leroy and and German around week 5-7 (outstanding and magnificent), buy a couple great long term and short term players and try and pull out 2-3 victories in the 2nd half.
3)Cash out my trainees, buy 1 or 2 titanic level players and win some games this season, setting growth back 2 seasons but assuring a place in div V.

Ideas and other suggestions welcome (my cup game is against a team roughly the same as mine only on the road, so I can't plan on a long run by any means)

Edit: Some of these team names looked familiar, so I decided to do a little research. This was exactly the league that made me want to spend an extra season in div VI. Guess I was just supposed to be here. Curse your luck Tubby on getting into a league that grows with your team.
Old 22-10-2007, 23:48   #119
arne1
King

It all depends on what kind of coach you are getting wtih a solid leadership coach you can really pic your matches you need to win.
Try to find the opponents you need to be beating to avoid relegation and make a pic/pin /mots strategy that will help you do that. I think If you have possesion you stan good chance of winning with your strikers and wingers
Old 23-10-2007, 00:31   #120
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Your league does seem indeed a strong one. Usual range for Div 5 is from 160 and up to 210. So, here you have Hunky and Chics which are somewhat above that level. But other teams do not look that scary. IMO, if you make a nice accent on midfield and change coach, it is quite possible to survive. It seems that many teams in 5th and even 4th do tend to somewhat neglect the midfield and thus often face disastrous consequences.

Just try to set yourself a goal of increasing your stars by 10 per season which quite reasonable. You now have about 175-180 on a good day. To beat these current guys soundly you would need at least 220-230. This means you will be doing fine in 4-5 seasons in this league. First two seasons will be the hardest since you'll be not performing that well and might lose considerable portion of the income from the matches which will be only partially compensated with increase in supporters. but this is immanent feature of the US which is very similar to other countries in HT like England.

Your income in 6th of US is something in between 9th and 8th in Netherlands and in 5th you can really bump it up because you get to the level of 7th and 6th in Netherlands in terms of income and sponsors while being substantially weaker on average. So, IMO, 5th league is the best for growth in the US. You can certainly get there up to 210 stars while maintaining a steady cash flow. So, by all means do promote and do try to survive. It is not that hard if you emphasize midfield. You'd need eventually to get to three world class players there.

Winger training is OK but income on that is very low. And you will not be able to train in secondary spots during the cup run which even more devaluates this type of training. You would also certainly need a better keeper. This might enable you to skip on defenders. It looks like an attractive switch of training but hard to tell since the market is again in complete chaos.

Otherwise, you can try to start gradually improving your MF by buying young WC players one per season. Otherwise, if you have some spare time, it is the moment of getting involved in daytrading and it is very rewarding as well in this level judging by many examples.